Valued Contributor

has anyone ever stepped on a palm frond?

I was barefoot in my yard and stepped on a palm frond. It broke the skin. Now my foot is throbbing! It really hurt! I cleaned it with alcohol and put something called black salve on it. I hope I don't need to see the Dr over this. Has anyone had experience with a wound from a palm frond? TIA
Honored Contributor

Re: has anyone ever stepped on a palm frond?

Ouch....I did a quick Google search. Sounds like you'll need to watch it. Report back, K? Here's the link:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/palm-tree-puncture-wound-treatment-32058.html

Esteemed Contributor

Well, I haven't but here is what I found in a search. You might want to use some hydrogen peroxide and betadine on it.

Palm trees can be dangerous if you touch them in the wrong spot. Sharp thorns on their branches, trunks and the undersides or tips of fronds can puncture the skin and cause bacterial or fungal infections. Puncture injuries may look harmless, but bits of thorny debris may lodge inside the wound. Infections are particularly likely if the debris carries fungal toxins or soil bacteria, such as Pantoea agglomerans. Inflammation of a palm tree puncture wound requires medical treatment.

The British Medical Journal noted in a November 2002 issue that the fronds of date palms are "particularly dangerous," because the sharp, narrow tips of their spines dry quickly and break off easily when they puncture skin.

The BMJ article documented the case of an otherwise healthy 14-year-old boy who developed an arthritis-like injury of the knee from a date palm thorn puncture six weeks before treatment. Shortly after the puncture, he received antibiotics that temporarily relieved his pain and swelling. Arthrocentesis -- using a needle to withdraw fluid from a swollen joint -- eventually led to identification of Pantoea agglomerans, a common soil bacteria, causing septic arthritis. It took two ultrasound exams to locate the tiny bits of palm thorn debris causing the infection and limiting the range of motion in the boy's knee. Hospitalization lasted more than a week and involved surgery to remove the fragments and wash out the infection. The boy recovered fully.

Immediate, basic first aid should be performed on any puncture wound, and especially those from palm trees, to prevent infection. This involves cleaning the wound area and applying an antiseptic. MedicineNet.com notes that although puncture wounds usually bleed little, they infect easily. When swelling of a palm thorn puncture occurs, arthrocentisis is necessary to rule out bacterial or fungal infection. Treatment with antibiotics is urgent if bacterial or fungal infection is present. Eliminating infection also requires surgical removal of thorn fragments. Although thorn fragments may remain if there is no infection, they are likely to cause recurring discomfort. So surgical removal of thorns is a good idea, overall. Wearing sturdy garden gloves and protective eye wear while pruning palm trees or cleaning up fallen foliage is essential to prevent puncture wounds.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Valued Contributor

On 4/26/2014 sidsmom said:

Ouch....I did a quick Google search. Sounds like you'll need to watch it. Report back, K? Here's the link:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/palm-tree-puncture-wound-treatment-32058.html

thanks so much!
Valued Contributor

On 4/26/2014 betteb said:

Well, I haven't but here is what I found in a search. You might want to use some hydrogen peroxide and betadine on it.

Palm trees can be dangerous if you touch them in the wrong spot. Sharp thorns on their branches, trunks and the undersides or tips of fronds can puncture the skin and cause bacterial or fungal infections. Puncture injuries may look harmless, but bits of thorny debris may lodge inside the wound. Infections are particularly likely if the debris carries fungal toxins or soil bacteria, such as Pantoea agglomerans. Inflammation of a palm tree puncture wound requires medical treatment.

The British Medical Journal noted in a November 2002 issue that the fronds of date palms are "particularly dangerous," because the sharp, narrow tips of their spines dry quickly and break off easily when they puncture skin.

The BMJ article documented the case of an otherwise healthy 14-year-old boy who developed an arthritis-like injury of the knee from a date palm thorn puncture six weeks before treatment. Shortly after the puncture, he received antibiotics that temporarily relieved his pain and swelling. Arthrocentesis -- using a needle to withdraw fluid from a swollen joint -- eventually led to identification of Pantoea agglomerans, a common soil bacteria, causing septic arthritis. It took two ultrasound exams to locate the tiny bits of palm thorn debris causing the infection and limiting the range of motion in the boy's knee. Hospitalization lasted more than a week and involved surgery to remove the fragments and wash out the infection. The boy recovered fully.

Immediate, basic first aid should be performed on any puncture wound, and especially those from palm trees, to prevent infection. This involves cleaning the wound area and applying an antiseptic. MedicineNet.com notes that although puncture wounds usually bleed little, they infect easily. When swelling of a palm thorn puncture occurs, arthrocentisis is necessary to rule out bacterial or fungal infection. Treatment with antibiotics is urgent if bacterial or fungal infection is present. Eliminating infection also requires surgical removal of thorn fragments. Although thorn fragments may remain if there is no infection, they are likely to cause recurring discomfort. So surgical removal of thorns is a good idea, overall. Wearing sturdy garden gloves and protective eye wear while pruning palm trees or cleaning up fallen foliage is essential to prevent puncture wounds.

thanks betteb!
Honored Contributor

It is never good to go barefooted anywhere much less outside. Woman have many more issues with calf cramps(spasms)/Achilles Tendonitis and Plantar Fasciitis that men. Some of the reason is the footwear they choose that has heels higher than the sole, and also it seems the ladies like to go sans shoes moreso that men. At least that is what I have found through some studies and my own experiences.

If in doubt? See your doctor.

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

yes they are very sharp--
Honored Contributor

I haven't stepped on one, BUT I have been poked in the side with one. And, I punctured my palm with one. I bent over one time and backed into a palm, OMG talk about a "thorn in your side". It hurt like heck, and got real hot and was painful for 2 days! The stab I got in my hand was bad too. I totally feel your pain. It could get infected, so be watchful!

Shoe

Super Contributor

Yes, I've gotten stuck a lot. We have two palms that we trim and no matter how careful I am picking them up to put in the bin, I will get stuck.

I've noticed that they leave little fibers in your skin that fester and stay in there for days if you don't get it out and it's painful.

The last time I got stuck, I was wearing gloves and one frond managed to stick me in the thick part of my palm. It hurt like a needle going in but the pain went away quickly so I thought I was ok but then I noticed a lot of blood coming through my glove.

I rinsed my hand really good with cold water and doused it with antibacterial gel and that worked. The pain and swelling went down right away when in the past I was dealing with the puncture for days.

The fronds we have grow to 18' so when they're cut down they're awkward to lift and carry and getting stuck is easy.

We have a tree trimmer to handle the really tall palms and one time he got stuck deep in the thigh that caused so much pain, he went to the hospital.

Those things are vicious!

Super Contributor

I am so sorry. You have been given good advice...........really watch it and if the pain will not stop then go to an urgent care or late night clinic in the morning or if it is really bothering you then go to the ER if you have great insurance. I know that Dr. Oz does not want us using peroxide but who knows what to do. Please keep us posted.