Honored Contributor

Re: do you think it is OK for a relative who is staying with you to drink alcohol if you do not drink ?

I think the OP was pretty clear in that her concern is not that he is drinking in her house and she doesn't drink but that he is drinking to excess every night. but it sounds as if she has already expressed that to her brother and he has no intention of slowing down. Perhaps an intervention of some sort with other family members that love him too? maybe look into getting him some counseling? The only problem is if he's not ready to get help or doesn't think he needs it he won't
Super Contributor

Re: do you think it is OK for a relative who is staying with you to drink alcohol if you do not drink ?

It sounds like this is a very hard situation for both of you and that you are both dealing with complex feelings.

You question whether your brother is an alcoholic. If he was, then he would have exhibited problem drinking consistently throughout his life. The amount you note he drinks would not necessarily indicate alcoholism. What is likely to be happening with him is that he is using the drinking right now just to be able to deal with his life. He is probably using alcohol to self medicate, which would be understandable. If a doctor prescribed him some medications to help him cope with his pain, you probably wouldn't find it so objectionable. Using anything to stop feeling the pain of life or to numb oneself is not a good long term strategy, but it is understandable for a while. Think about what he has been through. I have not lost a child, but people say that is the worst pain ever. Then you lose your marriage, you go through a divorce which is a very difficult thing and creates pain that only others who gave experienced divorce can understand, you lose your livelihood, and you have to rely on someone else to take you in. The pain of these types of life experiences are not individual but cumulative - and by that I mean they keep building on each other so that the next trauma is even worse than it would be if it had been the only bad thing to happen to you. I can imagine that he is at the end of his rope because everything in his life has fallen apart. We don't know if he saw battle as a veteran, but if he did, that can also be a pretty horrific experience. In a way, you may be the only think he still has to hang on to that can remind him that life can be good. Despite everything he's been through, he has not given up on life or on himself. He is working a little, and he is actively working so that he can have another career and a future. That is a very positive sign and something you can both be proud of. A little support, compassion, understanding, and some leeway can really help him to get his life back together.

I can appreciate your discomfort with him drinking in your home. I'm sure you knew he drank alcohol before he came to live with you. You probably knew he'd have an occasional drink in your home. But he is drinking more than you are comfortable with. I'm not asking you to answer this publicly, but ask yourself what it is about the drinking that is truly bothering you. Not at a surface level, but deep down. If you pray or meditate, then you can become still and ask the question about yourself and see what answer comes to you. I'd guess there may be something other than 'suspecting he is an alcoholic'. For example, it could be that you are concerned his life could spiral further out of control, or that it could become more than you feel capable of dealing with, perhaps the stress of having someone around who is in so much pain is just too much for you or it makes you uncomfortable, or feeling helpless because you love him but don't know how to help him. Different people would respond in different ways in your situation. Some would never have permitted their brother to live with them, some would kick him out, some might ask him gently when he makes a mistake like getting rid of leftovers - what was happening with you? What were you thinking or feeling when this happened? And they might say - it's OK, it's not a big deal. You just needed to get your feelings out. Is there something else that might help the next time you feel like this? To me, it seems like this happened because he was angry with life, or maybe angry with God, but he didn't have a better way to deal with his feelings. I know that for men, they are told that they are supposed to be strong and hold in their emotions that he may not even be aware of what he is feeling. Or he may be afraid of feeling because it would be too painful.

I wonder if your brother's cooking was a way for him to feel he had some value and that he could contribute to your household. This whole thing is very hard for you too, so maybe you and he need to have an occasional conversation about what you both need for this situation to work and to share you deep feelings, fears and concerns. He probably also needs to talk to someone so that he can get help in sorting out his feelings.

Good luck to you. I pray that this experience will turn out to be a blessing for you both.

Honored Contributor

your house, your rules.

Trusted Contributor

Go to ALANON - today, right now ! You need support in whatever your decision is - if he stays or if he goes and these people can help you.

You obviously have reservations and rightfully so. I would be concerned if my Brother was drinking to much and staying with me to get his life in order too.

Respected Contributor

Drinking a bottle of wine every day or it's equivalent (2 large beers) indicates a drinking problem. How many posters here consume a bottle of wine daily?

My father was an alcoholic so I experienced first hand the stress and chaos this addiction causes. The OP has probably left out some details.

Regular Contributor

Your house, your rules. He can not drink and stay or he can choose to drink and leave. Give him the choice. Never allow anything in your own home you are not comfortable with. You are doing him a favor by putting a roof over his head. It is simple.

Respected Contributor

If he is a alcoholic he can't just stop drinking. If you invited him to stay until he gets his life in order you either take him as he is or he will be sneaking it in. The booze may play a big reason why he is having problems. Word to the wise..... This may be WAY more than you are up to. If you need help go to alanon or AA for help.

Esteemed Contributor

After reading all of your clarifying posts and having had alcoholics in my life, I think he is drinking much more than you are aware of if his life has gotten so out of control. Alcoholics are remarkably secretive people when they choose. Deception and manipulation are their skills.

The only person you can change is yourself, so please get some help.

Super Contributor

Your brother has a drinking problem and drinking problems always get worse before they get better. My dad is an alcoholic, so I feel comfortable giving a definitive opinion based on what your have told us Persephone. I do not care what the naysayers here say about supporting your brother in his time of need. That is called enabling. I do not care if he is a veteran. I am a veteran with PTSD, and I do not use alcohol, drugs or nicotine of any kind to cope with my difficulties. If you have to use any of those to "deal", then you have a character and substance abuse problem....period. Persephone, you do not need this mess in your home, and before your brother gets drunk enough and in his inner rage becomes one of those who kills everyone in the house one night, you need to evict him and change all your locks. He will not help himself unless he hits bottom and you do not need to make that ride with him. By the way, I totally do not agree that alcoholism has a genetic component. Again, it is a coping mechanism, and one that weak people use. I am sure that people here will respond with all kinds of horror at my words. Tough. I will not be responding further. I have lived this nightmare, and I will not coddle anyone who drinks in order to cope. Nor will I sugar coat my opinion on the subject. Boot him out.

Honored Contributor

On 3/14/2015 Persephonel said: I don't drink, I have nothing against anyone who does, I just don't do it. My brother is staying with me for awhile to get his life in order. I'm pretty sure he is an alcoholic, because he can't seem to stop and gets upset with me because I don't like him drinking. He drinks either a bottle of wine, or two large size beers a night. He says there is nothing wrong with it and thinks It would do me good to start drinking! I think because it is my house and I don't want him to drink he should respect my feelings. Am I wrong? Do you have an opinion? TIA

Based on your mixed messages, it sounds like you either have a lot of trouble standing up for yourself, or didn't discuss any specific "house rules" before he moved in.

If you don't have anything against people who drink, then HOW is your brother drinking a problem?

You need to either "re-negotiate" the house rules, or keep quiet .... and no more mixed messages. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}