Honored Contributor

assistance with finding therapist...

My niece's son who was using drugs,  got clean, had a job, car...... but sadly was picked up again for using.  Currently he is in jail, his dad and grandparents are  going to bail him out of jail, sigh.

My niece does not enable him but his father, and grandparents do.  Parents have not been together for years.

I told her she needs to find someone to talk to, do you think she needs a therapist who works with parents of children that do drugs or would a 'traditional' therapist be OK?   Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: assistance with finding therapist...

Sounds like she's in control.  It's the rest of the family she's dealing with that needs therapy to deal with this situation.  Hoping for the best for all involved.

Honored Contributor

I would look up a local Nar-Anon group. Nar-Anon groups are for friends and family members of people with drug addictions. It's group therapy, like Alcoholics Anonymous. She may want to use that resource, but she can also attend a meeting and ask others there if they could recommend a good one-on-one therapist or counselor.

She can also talk to a family doctor to get a recommendation.

Respected Contributor

I do not have any experience with this but it seems like a therapist that worked with parents of children who do drugs would be best. That must be so hard for your niece to go through this. 

Honored Contributor

She has a new baby, about 1 year, and told me today that she has been crying a lot, that is when I told her to find a therapist....her ex is a piece of work. 

This is a second marriage for her, she has married a really great guy....this time he is very supportive but she is having trouble coping with her older son's drug use....we all had such high hopes...

Trusted Contributor

My heart brakes for you. The best thing would be to leave her there. I know.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs

She needs help right away!

The family doctor is a good start.

I spoke with a regular counselor in the past, and he knew how to "guide" me... and would have suggested someone else for more specific needs.

This person was located nearby and was recommended by my health insurance company.

He was very reputable... his wife practiced out of the same office (couples counseling). I also noticed pamphlets on the sitting room table for parents of children with ADHD.

Your poor dear niece needs this help to hold together the base of a good stable marriage and family that she has now.

I am sending hopeful thoughts... I think some have counseling hours on weekends.  This would be so hard...(((hope and hugs)))

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

My niece's son who was using drugs,  got clean, had a job, car...... but sadly was picked up again for using.  Currently he is in jail, his dad and grandparents are  going to bail him out of jail, sigh.

My niece does not enable him but his father, and grandparents do.  Parents have not been together for years.

I told her she needs to find someone to talk to, do you think she needs a therapist who works with parents of children that do drugs or would a 'traditional' therapist be OK?   Thanks!

While she is searching for a therapist, she should seek out a Nar-Anon group.  It is similar to Al-Anon, but for family and friends of those who are addicted to drugs.  Here is a link:

http://www.nar-anon.org/

Honored Contributor

...age old question, why do kids get involved in drugs....I just want to strangle him.  

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs

Had 2 friends over the years that had this problem with drugs. Rehabbed and the relapse, one after another. They were still married and worked together. One young man finally got his act together, but not until he got convicted of a felony twice, and was sentenced to 5 years in prison. He got out in less than 4.

One of these couples went to a substance abuse therapist and they told me it helped them deal with their part of this terrible problem. After their sons release from state prison, he has not used again, as far as they no.

My brother-in-law is a volunteer phycologist for alcoholics. He works with the patient and not family counseling. If he hears from parents or relatives, he refers them to a therapist that specializes in that field, but not pro-bono.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)