Honored Contributor

Re: Women: who've had TOTAL Knee Replacement

[ Edited ]

My right knee was done in 2008 and that scar has faded but is still visible.  The left kne was done in 2015 and while fading still shows where a few staples were.  It may be silly but I'm proud of my battle scars.

The surgery is well worth it but for a few weeks you might wonder about it, OP.  Good luck.  

Before you you leave the hospital, a PT will show you how to manage the stairs.

ETA:  Second knee was done in 2014.  Why can't I edit? :/

Esteemed Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie - my surgery was about 7am in the morning and lasted a little over two hours, I was truly amazed when the PT showed up later that evening to see if I wanted to take a walk, but I decided to wait until the next day since I was still woozy from the drugs and anesthesia.  The next day I was able to walk the hallway using a walker and I used a cane to do the steps which was easier then I thought.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

Just curious ....

What did you put on the scar?

After a year, could you still see it?

@RinaRina

I'm curious ... why did you want only women to respond?

Respected Contributor

I had my left knee done in February. There's a scar, but who cares? I never thought about covering it up!

Trusted Contributor

@RinaRina,  I had my right knee replaced three and a half weeks ago.  My scar is already almost invisible. I don't know how the surgeon did it so well. I did not have staples or stitches that need to be removed.  He used an amazing special bandage that was really comfortable .  Hope you get same.  He also does not want me to put anything on it, but I think I will at some point. I am also not sure what I will use.  

I wish you luck and no complications for your surgery.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

(SPOILER - THIS IS DEPRESSING, SO DON'T READ, if you don't want to read anything sad.)

Hi all,

I'd forgotten about posting this question on April 14th because I was preparing for my surgery which was a few days later.

Things did not go well.

The surgery was great and my Doctor was great ... the nurses, not so great.

The hospital where I had my surgery had very bad nurses.  Frequently, it would take up to 1.5 hours for a nurse to answer a call.  I didn't realize until after I left the hospital why the "bells" were ringing all the time.

Long story short ----

My surgery was on Monday April 18th.  Tuesday, April 19th, I FELL in the hospital (because I couldn't get help).  

I was ignored  and mistreated by the nurses and had to be sent to a Rehab center.  

I fell on my surgical side and now have several herniated discs due to the fall.  On Wednesday, I go back to the Dr. to find out what damage was done to my hip.  

Over time, I started recovering fairly well, but fell again last Sunday.

It's taken me over a month to be able to post this.  It was a horrible experience and something I couldn't talk about because it's such a downer.

It's unfortunate, I found such a great Dr., but due to circumstances beyond my control --- wierd stuff happened.

Edit:

Fate is a strange thing .. Isn't it funny how, before my surgery, I worried about a scar.  Now, I'm only worried about injured hips, my back, and recovering from the fall.

My tailbone has only recently stopped hurting.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Oh, no, @RinaRina.  What a terrible experience....adding insult to injury.  I hope your outcome is positive, though.  How is your knee replacement coming along?

You're right, a scar is the least of your problems now.  I hope someone is called to task for your fall at the hospital.  I'm assuming that the second fall was at home?  Was it in the shower?

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@RinaRina  WOW! So sorry to hear of all your falls and injuries... What a shame that the in hospital care was so bad.  I hope you have a lawsuit to sue the heck out of them to wake them up to the problem... hopefully  to help other patients not go through the bad care you received... Best wishes in your healing.

Trusted Contributor

@RinaRina, I must not have read carefully, I thought your surgery was still coming up. So sorry you had trouble with the hospital. I think the doctor needs to know and put pressure on the hospital to raise its standards. I know my Dr. Has ways he insists on things being done and since he is part of a large orthopedic practice, everyone follows his protocols. The hospital is an old central city hospital that was set to close several years ago. Instead of closing it, the hospital group decided to change everything to instead make it one of the best. I had excellent care from everyone involved. I had my choice of this hospital or a new fancy one in an upscale suburb. I think I made the right choice.

i hope you will recover soon. If patients and doctors complain, maybe the hospital will improve. Maybe you could write a letter to the Board of Directors at the hospital. 

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Trusted Contributor

@RinaRina

So sorry to hear about your horrific experiences in hospital and after.

There have been some wonderful posts here from people with experience.

I had both of my knees replaced seven months apart in 2011.  It was

a dauting experience, but all is well.

Thank goodness you have an excellent doctor.