Respected Contributor

Women: who've had TOTAL Knee Replacement

Just curious ....

What did you put on the scar?

After a year, could you still see it?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: Women: who've had TOTAL Knee Replacement

I had a partial knee replacement so my scar is only about 4" long but then I also have a 1" scar on both my thigh and my shin from where they attached the robot. Anyway ,it was 4 years ago and the scars are still very visible on both legs. Well worth it though to get rid of that pain.

Honored Contributor

It's a sizable scar and will always be visible, but 5 years after surgery, it's faint and not something really noticable.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

While my knee was healing, I washed my wound daily with baby shampoo and a nylon pouff, and used CVS generic scar gel and vitamin E oil.  

It has been 4 years since my surgery, and my scar is definitely visible, but I think it looks great, and wear it proudly.   Sun will darken scar tissue and make it more prominent, but I avoid sun exposure anyway.   It is unrealistic to think this type of scar will be ever be totally invisible.  

Respected Contributor

I had a TKA May of 2015, scar still very much visable I also have a slight indentation of the scar which is about 2 1/2 " long.  I never really put anything on it to reduce the visability.  No more above knee skirts for me but oh well, I can walk ! Good luck to you

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina  When are you having your surgery?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I'm filling out paperwork for a total knee replacement.....been putting it off for a couple of years, but hit rock bottom with the pain over the last month.....i guess i'll have to cancel any future beauty pageants!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina  It will be three years in June when I had bilateral total knee replacement. My scars are about  6 to 7 inches long . They are much lighter now, but you still can see them.  I used some scar ointments the first few months.... I do not know if they helped. Everyone heals differently.   In the first several months they are really ugly but do get much better with time.  I wear the scars proudly and LOVE my new knees!

Occasional Contributor

I had both knees replaced 10 years ago next month.  The scars are barely noticeable and the knees work great. Not much I can't do. Still water and snow ski. However, crawling around can still be painful. Good luck to you. Go to your therapy sessions and work at those exercises.  That is the secret to a successful replacement. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@RinaRina  When are you having your surgery?

Monday.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."