Esteemed Contributor

What The Heck Was I Thinking.

I can honestly say I wish I had never had this knee surgery.  I feel like he**.  It's 11:30 pm, my knee is throbbing.  I just took a pain pill and have ice on it.  The pills make me feel lousy, sleepy and I'm just tired.

I never took more than 2 Percoset a day when I had to use them.  Even after my hip surgery I may have done 3 a day a couple of times the first week but could manage on 2 mostly. Now it's every 6 hours, once in awhile 5 hours. These pills don't have Tylenol but surgeon's office said I could take Tylenol too.  It doesn't help.  Of course, it's worse after doing the exercises I was given.  I have more pain now than before the new knee.

I felt I had to do the surgery after DH died because I didn't have anyone to help me get around. I had to get my walker and myself around and in and out of the car.  I should have just kept doing it that way.

Ok, I'm done venting and b*tching, but it was the dumbest decision I've made in years.

Respected Contributor

Re: What The Heck Was I Thinking.

You'll get thru it. My cousin had it done and said the first weeks were horrible pain-wise.  Her advice was to keep taking the pain pills on a schedule - even during the night. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2  Did you have a knee replacement?  I would contact your Doctor.  You should not be in that much pain. It is a painful operation, but your pain sounds more severe than I've ever heard anyone say before.

Super Contributor

Sorry, that is the pits.  I hope you start to see some relief soon and you can start to see some progress and improvement. Try not to be to discouraged, it will get better.    My DH worked in the medical field and he always told me to not chase the pain, to try and stay up on the pain meds so that when you take them your ahead of when it starts to throb.  You probably know that, but just throwing it out there hoping something could help.  I don't tolerate the pain meds well either, upsets my stomach and feel like ******.  

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I am so sorry you are having so much pain.  I live with pain so I know what it is like and I sure wish I could help you.  Talk to your doctor, let him know how much you hurt and ask him if it is normal.  Keeping you in my thoughts and wishing your pain away.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Georgiagrama  Yes, total knee replacement.  My PT person was here today and said this pain is normal.  I always had a high pain tolerance. The new hip I got last year hurt but not like this.

I don't expect to be totally pain free. You can't cut thru muscle, bone, and put a foreign part in your body without some pain, but this is nuts. I don't want to take anymore pain meds than I have to.

I haven't slept well in years but I'm barely sleeping at all.  I'm exhausted.  

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  I am so sorry.  It is a horrible feeling when you are in pain and there is no relief.  I am still concerned for you.  That much pain, especially when it is someone with a high tolerance for pain, just doesn't sound normal to me.  And, I have heard of a PT doing more damage than good, so please, if this pain continues, call your Doctor.  Something could be wrong.

I'm praying for you!! 

Honored Contributor

Bet you'll be happy with the knee in a few more weeks, @CrazyKittyLvr2.

My first one was the absolute pits; the second one was a breeze.

Valued Contributor

So sorry for the pain.  Also starting to feel sorry for me because I have TKR at the end of December.  I was hoping your reviews would encourage me, but I know from husband and friends who have the surgery that it really is painful, especially the first couple of weeks.  I had hoped like so many surgeries they had improved the method, but not so.  Good luck, I am certain it will ease up soon.😢😢

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 @I didn’t see what kind of leg surgery you had?

I’m so sorry you are hurting.  Did the doctors tell you it was supposed to hurt that much after the operation?

I’m asking because perhaps there is a problem and it shouldn’t hurt that much.

I hope you don’t let it continue to hurt that much for very long.  If it doesn’t seem to be getting better, you might call the doctor’s emergency number if for no other reason than to know the pain this bad is temporary and it will get better.

Sometimes just knowing the severity of the pain will lessen helps to endure the worst now.

As someone who had both knees replaced at the same time I can tell you I know right after I had the same thoughts of “what did I do”.

But within a day or two and the doctor’s reassurance it will get better, I could see the other side.

You obviously have a high threshold of pain, so with that in mind, I hope you don’t wait too long to find out how long this severe pain will last and if it’s normal.

Please let us know how you are doing.😘