Honored Contributor

Re: What Do You Do When You Can't Sleep?

When I notice a problem with my sleep pattern then I increase my physical activity during the day, usually by doing more exercise and walking more frequently. This works for me.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

If you wake up in the middle of the night and just can't sleep do you get up or lie there tossing and turning. It's not unusual for me to sleep from 11 pm to 1 am and then am awake until 5 or 6 am. I try not to nap during the day. I end up watching a rerun of something hoping I will nod of from boredom.  I can't do anything around the house because I don't want to wake hubby up. It is wearing thin night after night.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Have you considered having  a glass or more of wine or hard liquor before going to bed?  It helps many to fall asleep.

Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

A glass of wine & a little tv works for me.😴💤

Honored Contributor

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

If you wake up in the middle of the night and just can't sleep do you get up or lie there tossing and turning. It's not unusual for me to sleep from 11 pm to 1 am and then am awake until 5 or 6 am. I try not to nap during the day. I end up watching a rerun of something hoping I will nod of from boredom.  I can't do anything around the house because I don't want to wake hubby up. It is wearing thin night after night.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Have you considered taking a couple of tabs of oxycodone acetaminophen 5-325 before bed to help you relieve your sleep anxiety?

Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

@EatWell  I tried hot chocolate and a little Amaretto but it didn't help.  I don't drink hard  liquor.  Before my new hip in September last year I took the 325/5 Percoset for pain. while I need a new knee I do not have enough pain to warrant taking them again. I wouldn't take them for any other reason. My Dr. would never prescribe them except for severe pain.

Honored Contributor

I don't recommend calling 911 and telling them.

I'll dim my Kindle and read or go on these boards until I get sleepy. Sometimes I'm hungry and will drink a glass of milk to curb my appetite.

Honored Contributor

I usually pick up my Kindle or pray a rosary both put me to sleep again.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I can't fall asleep, I don't fight it and I will turn the TV back on.  I will finally fall asleep and sleep about 7 hours.  I hate when that happens but it is my fault as I drink caffeine too late and it keeps me awake. 

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I try to go back to sleep but can't always and that's why i'm on these forums right now, 3:30am.