Honored Contributor

Re: Welcome to the January Exercise Thread

Good Saturday to you ladies.

Do you ever sometimes think that things are happening to stop you from following through on a promise to yourself.  First, I had that bad cold and couldn't go out to exercise, still coughing a little but it's slowly leaving.  Also, I don't know if I mentioned it but my knee slipped from under me the day before the funeral last week and I had to limp around for a day or two.

This week was back to normal until this morning.  I woke up thinking about attending my Zumba class that I had missed the last two Saturdays for the aforementioned reasons.  I get out of bed thinking I'd go potty and then get coffee.  It was about 5 am.

Out of nowhere I got this excruciating pain on the right side of my neck.  It stopped me in my tracks and I moaned.  It took about a minute to subside.  Of course I started thinking stroke and heart attack.  I'm 69 years old.  I went downstairs and told my husband about the pain, asked him had he ever had pain in his neck.  I told him it didn't feel muscular but spasm like.

While we were talking I proceeded to fix my coffee.  Another round of spasms happened and he could see how much pain I was in.  He said go put some clothes on, I'm taking you to the ER.  I said what about Urgent Care.  He said I'm taking you to ER.  We went back and forth a little but he was adamant about it.

Sooo, off we went.  I took a motion sickness pill but didn't wait the half hour you're supposed to for it to fully kick in.  It was about a 15 minute drive.  I see the doctor after giving my insurance info and signing papers.  Actually, I was in the system so she just verified my info with me.  She asked if I needed a wheel chair.  I said no, my husband said yes.  I was shedding some tears by this time because the spasms were coming more frequently, about every 3 or 4 minutes.

The doctor said he could see the side of my neck pulsing, especially when the real pain would hit.  My blood pressure was a little elevated.  He said I had Acute Torticollis and it usually occurs upon getting up after sleeping.  He prescribed two muscle relaxants and an anti nausea medication.

So, we went back home and my husband waited for the Walgreens  pharmacy to open to go back out to get the meds for me.  At this point it was about 6:45 and the pharmacy opened at 9:00.  I didn't get the medication in my system til about 10:30.  I only took half of one relaxant because my system is delicate for some meds.  Last time I took two meds together from my orthopedic doctor, I ended up with knee pain and nausea.  It was too strong.

The good end to this long post is that although the spasms are still happening, the intensity is usually less and not as often as long as I'm careful when I move my head.  One of the meds is Valium which is also a muscle relaxant, not just for anxiety.  Who knew, huh.  I just wish I knew what brought it on so that I can avoid this happening again.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

OMG @Mmsfoxxie!!  You poor thing!  Sending lots of well wishes to you and your fabulous husband for taking care of you.  Glad it wasn't the big stuff but OW!  I hurt for you.  Smiley Sad

PLEASE take care of yourself and get well soon.  The class will be there next Saturday and so will you.  HeartSmiley Happy  

Valued Contributor

Mssfoxxie, I know those muscle spasms are terrible, I've had them before...dh's back does it a lot.  We both started out the New Year in the ER, it can only get better, right?  Let us know how you're doing...I know stroke symptoms are darn scary.

I had quite the day yesterday...after we went outside for some exercise, I decided I was already wet so may as well do 'back' even though we had already worked-out(we had already done the circuit of 15-rep exercises, over and over as many times as you can do it in 20 minutes)....well I used my back extension machine, pilates, weights, and some bands to do back/shoulders.  I hooked this rubber band contraption I have on to our pull-up bar....remember dh with the TRX straps that busted through the door?  Very similar experience...rubber place where bands attach snapped in half...I flew back(half way across the room), landed on my butt and tailbone, jarred my entire body, and the band contraption whipped back and snapped me in the abs.  It hurt and scared both of us half to death!

Then we go to the movie and it's pouring down rain so dh drops me off.  He doesn't even let me get both feet on the ground and he takes off, hitting me with the car!  I couldn't believe it and neither could anyone else that saw!  He didn't even realize he'd hit me.  I was furious!  Of course he felt terrible and apologized over and over, but come on, get your head in the game. Smiley Tongue 

Then I got a terrible headache and started having a flare during the movie...so skipped dinner and came right home, took a Tylenol and laid down to rest my eyes.  I had put a tiny bit of the It eye cream below my eyes, guess I'm allergic to that!  Washed it off and immediately started feeling better and red cheeks were disappearing.

Hidden Figures is excellent!  Really, it's such a good movie, very interesting and a total feel-good movie. Remember when dh and I did the long bike ride and said we stopped at an old AA school and looked around in WV?  Well it was in the beginning of the movie!!  She went to college there!  I had said to dh when we were there, "I bet there's some good stories here that would make a terrific movie"...I was shocked when I saw it! 

Had another rough night, was up from 2:30 to 5:30 and my tailbone is very sore.  Not sure what today holds yet....think I need to move or it will stiffen up. Here's to a new day!!   

Respected Contributor

Good Morning, it's another  sunny day here but it's only 3 above.  Just listend to a sermen on TV and DH is making breakfast.

My goodness there was lots of  things happening here yesterday, I sure hope you are all on the mend today, sending my good wishes for healing.

Dad is doing better so I feel a lot of relief now.  I'm going over to check on him this afternoon.  He does so well by himself in his own house.  I'm blessed he's so active, that's what helps him get well.

I did ski yesterday, I think I told you all.

My son and DIL went to Napa Valley for 4 days so I"m interested in hearing about that.   Sounds fun and lots of wine tasting!   

My oldest son and his wife went to a Michael Jackson concert last night, well a look alike, you know what i mean.  I bet that was fun.  Hubby just went to their house to let their 2 dogs out.  Neither wants to do their business outside when it's cold so he said it took forever.  Not cool when it's 3 above...COLD!   Hahahah

Here is wishing everyone good health today and an abundence of sunshine!

Image may contain: outdoor

Respected Contributor

Good morning ladies.  No sun this morning but atleast it is not raining.  NorCal had a beautiful sunny day yesterday (not warm but sunny).  I am trying to motivate myself into getting my running gear on and going for a 5 miler (yesterday was the long run, 10 miles).  I am going to will myself out the door in just a bit. Have a wonderful Sunday.

Deb

Honored Contributor

@Iluvlucy  Really?  I can't believe the accident and then your husband tries to take you out.  I hope you are feeling better today and make sure he didn't take out any extra life insurance policies on you.  Smiley Wink

@bopper  Glad your dad is better!   Some good news.  Heart

@SFGIANTSGIRL  Enjoy your walk.  I should be getting my butt out walking too.  It's around 70 here and winter just doesn't exist.  

I am preparing for an all out health makeover when my fitbit gets here or at least takng it to the next level.  My ship date is 1/17 so it better move itself out of the warehouse and to me ASAP.  

I've got my fitness book updated with a new 7 minute workout I saw on Dr. Oz.  I might try that every day in additon to gym and walks that I desperately need to get back to.

Have a great Sunday and get well soon to those who need it.  No more one upping each other on the illness front.  Smiley Very Happy

Valued Contributor

Yeah Laura, is that crazy or what??!!  I don't know why I was so mad, I know it was an accident...but slow down and get your head in the game...lol!  He's still apologizing! 

bopper...so glad your dad is doing better, that's scary stuff.

My mind just went blank...I was going to say more...I hate this format!  Oh, Deb...I am pretty certain you got out there and did your thing! 

Yesterday was a big work-out day for us, actually the entire weekend was for me and I can feel it!  I did yoga/pilates, we ran/walked 5 miles and we biked!!  It was 33* and sunny out and nothing on the roads so we took advantage of it...got a good ride in until DH's back really started bothering him...well, and my tailbone, but we still got 'er done.

We may do a long hike today but DH's back was really bad last night so I'm letting him decide.  I'm going to go downstairs to do legs, he can't do any strength today...afraid it will start the spasms up again. 

nomless...where are you?  Mmmsfoxxie...how are you?

Can you believe DS had a Christmas party yesterday?  He had a busy day, taught Sunday School, Christmas party, then dinner with old friends last night.  I'm just so darn glad he feels well enough to do that...there were a few years there were he couldn't. 

Valued Contributor

We saw two Bald Eagles yesterday...I got right underneath both of them...had stare-downs.

16114934_10211643613155347_5287297929694113880_n.jpg15977917_10211643613555357_8438607065729228321_n.jpg

Respected Contributor

I've been MIA again, but no reason for it.

Foxxie, I've never heard of that. I hope you're doing better. Thank goodness it's something fairly simple to treat. 

Lucy, lots of good wishes to you, too. Bands are great...until they break. I hope you're OK. I bet DH will be extra careful the next time he lets you out of the car. So glad to hear DS is doing well.

Bopper, yay that your dad is better, too. 

Not much going on here. We got ice yesterday and last night, so I'm glad I don't have to go out today. Fortunately, we got only a little and there isn't much wind, so no power outages. It will probably melt later today, but will freeze again tonight. T3mps are ranging from upper 20'so to mid 30's so idea will come and go for a day or two.

If UPS can deliver today, I should get at least one pair of the Vionic sneakers I ordered. I hope they fit and feel good. 

Valued Contributor

Hi nomless...ugh, don't like ice.  We had it Saturday morning but it melted quickly.  It wasn't the band itself, it was the contraption the bands connected to(got it on Amazon)...it was a set that had rubber feet straps and a rubber part where you could connect all the bands to it....the bands are still in tact.  Hard to explain.

Hope you get your shoes!  NOW I'm really going...lol....been texting with gf's trying to get caught up from the weekend.  My one gf in Montana went to Hidden Figures yesterday since I said it was so good...they liked it a lot too.