Respected Contributor

Re: Welcome to the January Exercise Thread

@Laura14, yay that you're hitting the gym at 5 am.  Ugh. You go, girl.

Foxxie, I've had spaghetti squash. After trying several types of winter squash, I find I don't really like it. I keep trying different recipes hoping to find one I like because I know it has good nutrition.

Lucy, the area you live sounds awesome. So glad you have such a great big playground!

Bopper, aw, I'm sorry your dad is having issues again. Prayers for him and your family. Hang in there....

I have no news to report. It's my day off, I spent most of it reading. No exercise.

Honored Contributor

I just did a prayer for your dad, @bopper.  When prayers go up, then the blessings come down.  And I hope your appetite gets better.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Valued Contributor

You know I'm praying bopper....as well as many others.  Sure hope the night was uneventful, I'm anxious to hear from you.

nomless...have you read anything good recently.  My gf asked me if I had so I sent her a picture of the FOUR books I'm reading...lol.  Yes, I read that many at one time...not sure if it makes my ADD worse, or if I do this because of the ADD.  My friends and family say I can never just do one thing at a time so why should reading be any different.  I haven't had a really good book lately.  Harlan Coban is always a fast read for me but I want a good Historical Fiction one and haven't found one lately.

I went to the mall yesterday to take my jeans back to Nordie's and dh's pants to Macy's. Nordstrom tried to tell me the receipt I had didn't go with the jeans.  Well, it's what they sent with them and it had the jeans and the description of them right under "description", so I'm not sure why she thought it wasn't the correct receipt!  

I had a good work-out yesterday, I'm just surprised my biceps are the most sore...given I didn't specifically work biceps!  My neck was sore too...some of it just the muscles which is fine, but some of it not. Smiley Sad  I did burpees with a weighted bar and did a dead-lift to shoulder-press in between each one...and jumping-jacks shoulder pressing another weighted bar over my head...I guess that's too much for my messed up neck!  Hopefully I just need to get back into it and build them up again...time will tell.

Mmssfoxxie...good job on your classes.  I need to get back to the gym too.  I guess they had a gas leak this week. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks @Iluvlucy.

Well, it looks like today will be a DVD workout day in my kitchen.  My husband does mentoring at a grammar school every Thursday.  As he was ready to go, I told him that the weather report said there are icy conditions this morning.  Hard headed husband sometimes, lol.  Well, in two minutes, I hear the door opening again with him saying the car and driveway were covered with ice.  So, although MY car is in the garage, I might slide and hit his car.  I'm glad he was smart enough not to go.  Besides, if school isn't cancelled, most of the kids still won't be there anyway.

I  have to workout today because we were out and about and the workout didn't happen.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@bopper  HeartHeartHeart for you and him  HeartHeartHeart

Respected Contributor

Foxxie, I'm glad your and DH are being smart and not going out on icy streets. 

Bopper, prayers continue.

Lucy, right now I'm reading a series of Brtitsh romantic comedies by Alexandra Brown about a twenty something young woman who works in a high end department store. Chick lit. They're fun, quick reads with no trashy content and happy endings. She has another series about resdientscof a small British village in which each book features a different resident. I'll move on to those next. I tend to read mostly thrillers, mystery and psych suspense, but occasionally need something light with happy endings, hence the books I'm reading now. I don't read historical fiction much, so I can't give you any recs. Like Coban, whom I read occasionally. I'm kind of burned out on contemporary mysteries which often include a lot of character angst which I enjoyed at one time, but am now tired of, so I'm reading mysteries from the 1940's-1960's - Ellery Queen, Ed McBain, Lockridge, etc. Good stories in which characters remain largely the same throughout the series. Funny how our taste changes...I used to dislike these because they lacked character development, but now that's the reason I like them, lol.

Honored Contributor

Back at the gym this morning.  In Power, the instructor asked us how many were Fitbitters.  I couldn't raise my hand yet.  Hurry up QVC!

I finally returned to being able to put the bar on my back for the legs tracks.  I was so excited!  I hurt my shoulder about a year and a half ago and I've been forced to do dumbells during those tracks because I couldn't bend my arm back to steady the bar which is much less weight.  I had some soreness but I got through both tracks.  Big smile!

Still trying to keep up with all of you.  I have big plans once my Fitbit arrives.  No excuses.  Have a good Thursday.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Good for you @Laura14.  I do t recall ever using a bar on my shoulders for I assume you mean squats.  Squats and my knees don't get along, lol.  Fitness instructors love them, though.  I do a modified version.

Yeah, be careful of your shoulder because I've heard that once you hurt them, they are very easily hurt again.

I looked at my order status this morning and my Fitbit still hasn't shipped.  Strange since my delivery date is the 16th.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mmsfoxxie  Yes.  In Power, the legs tracks are filled with squats and lunges with the bar.  I think my knees are the sole body parts that have not betrayed me yet so I heed your warning!

And don't tell me that about my Fitbit.  My color was already advanced ship date on 1/17 and my delivery is 1/27.  

What is it with companies these days?  I have been fighting with Fiat for three months now trying to get them to replace my recalled clutch.  It's still not available.  The guy tells me they only get five at a time.  It's a manual clutch transmission for a subcompact economy car.  How many of us can there be?  Five is about right.  Schedule my appointment already or else I start enlisting my sister's media contacts.  Or, after Power this morning, I think I can take the auto body guy if I absolutely need to go hand to hand.  Smiley Mad  

Respected Contributor

Living in an apt where hauling in groceries is somewhat a hassle, a few years ago I bought what is now the smaller version of the TSV. I love it, but sometimes it is too small. So I caved and bought today's larger one. Dang. I don't like buying a new one when the old one is still on working order, but sometimes ya just gotta do it.