Valued Contributor

Re: Welcome to the January Exercise Thread

Good morning everyone!  Been up since 4:20, yay me! Smiley Tongue  

We had such a nice day yesterday...did a 6-mile trail run and hike after I did legs(TRX plyo squats, lunges, side lunges, squats, calves)...then went to Whole Foods(only bought produce and a couple of other things and it was almost $80...ay) and ate at this really cool place...Willow Creek Farm.  The buildings/barns and decor are amazing, sat by the fireplace and chilled.  Food is organic and like the farm-to-table places...I had a root-salad that was shockingly delicious and dh had a bison burger.  We'll be back!

Thanks nomless, I love wildlife and even though I see it everyday, I get excited each time.  We saw a fox again yesterday but they always run, hard to get a good picture. 

I'm the same way with pills, I'm smaller so always question the doses...one reason I won't take anesthesia and have things like a colonoscopy wide awake without even an IV in my arm!  I give Lucy less too, don't use the entire container for her tick and heartworm meds...she weighs 5-lbs and it's the same dose for a dog that weighs 85-lbs...doesn't add up in my mind.  I've even done research and read articles on it. 

I've stopped all meds except Benedryl as needed and feel better.  Good riddens to the steroids, not sure I'll ever take them again. 

Going back to the gym this morning!  I asked Angie if she wanted to go with me, she can use a free pass.  It's supposed to rain all day today, actually most of the week.  Also want to use our new "Power-Tower"....I did a bunch of hanging leg raises on it yesterday and am going to tackle pull-ups today. 

Honored Contributor

@Iluvlucy  High five fellow early riser!

I did Pound and then struggled through Power.  Not because of me but because the teacher could not get her act together.  I was ripping out chest presses with the bar before I realized halfway through that she was doing pushups.  It's called proper cues.  Learn them!

Next week is the new music and routines.  Can't wait for more fun!  

Respected Contributor

Good morning ladies.  Yesterday was a 6 mile run and today being my extra day off from work, I will get in another run this afternoon.  We are supposed to get rain here in NorCal over the next 5 or so days, so I better make the best of today.

Have a wonderful and productive day Smiley Happy

Deb

Respected Contributor

Quick note before I head off to work. I got the Vionics that are a size too big. Size would be OK, but they pitch my weight forward onto the balls of my feet. Within 3 steps, the callous there hurts. So these won't work and it's likely the other size won't work either. It confirms my knowledge that I have to buy shoes locally so I can try on before I buy. Oh, well, lesson learned....again. I knew I was taking a chance.

Respected Contributor

Hi all,  It was  mild day here and I got in 3.5 miles and some Total Gym, than did stuff around here and totally forgot I had a hair appt. at 1 until she called me and asked if I was coming.  I think I"m losing my mind, I zipped over there likety split and got my white part touched up!  I thought I should be due, my hair tells the story..   Good grief hey?

I need new walking sneakers and am having a hard time finding the too nomless, I can't afford a ton of money and found some on Amazon but have never heard of the brand so don't know.  They call them a fashion walking sneak, so I'm overwhelmed.

Iluvlucy I enjoy your eagle pictures, so cool.   I saw that one yesterday and that was it.   I sure hope you have a good week.  So happy the kids are doing well and able to do the stuf they want to do.

SF girl you had a great run, I hear you have been getting the rain.  My son and DIL just got back from Napa Valley.  They said it was pretty cool!  No rain while they were there.

Laura are you an early riser too?   I wish it was 70 here!

Well hubby is here and talking to me so I better pay attention LOL

Have a great evening!

Respected Contributor

Bopper, do you have Kohl's nearby? They usually have good sales on good brands of walking shoes. Worth taking a look if you have Kohl's. Famous Footwear has sales, too, but not as much off as Kohl's. Good luck.

Valued Contributor

nomless...sorry your shoes didn't work out for you.  It's so hard buying shoes online.  I just bought jeans from Nordstrom's and had to get 3 sizes....the 3rd size was the ticket. I also got some adorable blue velvet Steve Madden sneakers but thank heavens I saw them while I was there and could try them on....they run really small so I ordered up(they didn't have them in the store) and they fit perfectly.

bopper...too bad you guys don't have a DSW there.  I can always find some reasonably priced running shoes there.  It's a little easier for me to order online with a couple of brands like Nike and Saucony because I buy the same style so already know my size.

Laura...I know what you mean about the cues....and it's really hard when they don't use the mic and I can't hear them with the music blaring!

Deb...your weather sounds like ours...rain and more rain.

Mmsfoxxie...how are you??  Any better?

I'm sore.  I mean sore all over, even had trouble trying to do yoga this morning.  I did a tough upper-body work-out(I was spent)...jump-roped...rowed...ran...and walked 6 fast ones with my gf out in the rain for a total of 10 exercise-miles, not total for the day.  It was actually kind of nice other than my feet were sloshing. 

Honored Contributor

@nomless  Sorry the shoes didn't work.  Smiley Sad  I get my athletic wear from Nordstrom Rack because they are cheap.  Also TJ Maxx or Marshalls usually have the brand names at some pretty good discount deals if any of those stores are in your neck of the woods.

@bopper  I am up usually between 3-4am.  My gym classes start at 5am.  I have to go before work in the morning because it is impossible to park at the gym during the day.    

@Mmsfoxxie  Hope you're feeling better!!  Heart

Okay my Fitbit was supposed to ship 1/17 and I got nothing except a charge on my credit card on Sunday.  I'm hoping they just forgot the email ship notification and it's on its way.  I'm over waiting for it.

This week is dragging and I am tired.  I feel like I just left work and here I am again.  Smiley Sad  

Hope everyone has a great day!

Respected Contributor

About the show My 600 Lb. Life, a question that never comes up: the doc featrued in this show requires the patient to lose a significant amount of weight in a couple of months before doing the bariatric surgery to ensure the patient will stick to a nutrition plan. That's good, but my question is: after success by modifying food intake, why would a patient accept the short and long term risks of bariatric surgery? Why not chose to continue weight loss with the new nutrition and exercise habits instead of with surgery?

I recognize that choosing to continue the weight loss program without having the surgery would mean there's no show, but I am interested in knowing if any of the patients decide to not undergo surgery. And, after being successful with a good nutrition plan, why do patients feel surgery is the only answer? They'll need to continue with the new nutrition program even after surgery, so why add further risk by proceeding with the surgery? I wonder if patient ando doc discuss this issue. It perplexes me.

Honored Contributor

@nomless  I honestly don't know but it's a good question.  My guess would be that the patient's health is so dire that they need to get the weight off faster to rapidly improve things like stress on the heart which could cause imminent heart failure, joint compression, etc.  That's my absolute guess.