Honored Contributor

Re: Welcome to the February Exercise Thread :)

@nomless, sometimes when I can't sleep, I take one of my motion sickness pills (Dramamine) because drowsiness is a side effect of it.

@MickD, you're probably doing fine.  Remember, your son is younger than you, lol.  I use my age as an excuse for a lot of things now and legitimately so.

I did walking only yesterday cause my knee is still a little delicate. I blamed it on the doggy kicks I did last week but yesterday it dawned on me that in March, it will be a year since my last knee injections.  My orthopedic doctor suggests every 6 months.  But I don't need it that quickly so I don't get it.  Plus each time you get them, the less effective they are.  Another thing about knee injections is that it may be a month or two after getting them that you get positive results.  The procedure is painful for me but only for an instant.  If the doctor gets the injection site very accurately, there is less pain.  Last year, he did my left knee and there was slight pain.  The right knee made me yell out in pain....hubby heard me in the waiting room.

Last night one of my retired coworkers turned the weekly Thursday night line dancing event into her birthday celebration.  Most of us brought a dish and food was everywhere.  I enjoyed it.   One of the reasons I don't go every week (besides the fact that I don't like night driving) is because every week food is everywhere.  I can't trust myself not to eat it.  Pizza, candy, sometimes wine.  Nice for socializing but not for health and weight.  The dancing, for some, is an after thought.  

It's going to be in the upper fifties today.  Yea!  Gonna do my walk and a modified cardio class.  That should be enough.

You Guys, I wish you the best for your day ahead.  Enjoy!

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

Happy Friday, supposed to be a beautiful day here and tomorrow as well, and I'm so ready!  We may hit upper 40's or 50!   Woo Hoooooooooooo   Tonight is the UP 200 sled dog race.  They start downtown and go 200 miles and come back through Sunday morning.  Last year there were over 3000 people cheering them on at the start and since it's going to be mild we will probably head down tonight.   The dogs prefer colder and the sleds go faster on the cold snow but non the less a good time will be had by all.

I have yet to see that nano chair presentation.  Sounds intriguing.   I am finding my Pilates again.  I think I already said that though but I've been doing it now for 2 weeks every day some days 2x a day and I think it's helping my sciatica .  My hips are so tight, I mean it hurts while I'm doing it but I think over time if I stick with it I feel hopeful it will help.

Lucy I love hearing about all these trails you find and the horses in their coats, just the peacefulness of the wood calms the soul.

Nomless I think our country is sleep deprieved.   I sleep pretty good.  For the most part anyways.   Last night I went to sleep about 10:45 and slept until 4:45 and then laid there until past 6:30 I think.  I was comfortable but just couldn't turn my mind off.  

Foxxie seems we all have our aches and pains.  I can't kneel unless I have something very cushy under my knees either.  I understand about going to events with food too.  It's very hard and you don't want to be rude to the host but most of the time there isn't a whole lot of healthy things to choose from and that's a constant struggle. 

Well It's getting light out now and I like it.  Coffee time, have a good day!

Honored Contributor

TGIF!!!!!  I did 2.5 mi/34 min on the treadmill.

@Mmsfoxxie oh I know my almost 50 year old body can't keep up with my 17 year old son...haha....I can dream can't I??  I started running....long distance at 16....and it finally was giving out a few years ago.  Just jogging now....I can live with that!  Maybe some trail running soon......I wish I was iron woman like @Iluvlucy !!!!!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Valued Contributor

Morning everyone.  Yesterday was a blur, feel like I left the house at 5 and didn't get home until last night.  Lucy was not  a happy camper being in the kennel so long but DH and I did take her on our early morning run and then we took her to the park last night and walked the trail along the river. 

MickD...I'm basically in the same boat with my feet as you are.  So maybe we can take up rowing?? Smiley Tongue 

I finally broke down(after my gf's and dh getting on me everyday) and went to the Podiatrist(he used to write regularly for Running Times).  I have 3 bad spots.  The most serious being from where I broke my left foot in RI, it never healed properly but why would it have, I ran on it and worked out for 3 weeks before I even went to the Podiatrist, then went to NYC and walked miles everyday and didn't wear the boot...but he said it's a hard bone to heal anyway.  Now has a nerve running through the two pieces, it's inflamed, tendonitis, getting a bunion, etc.  I could have surgery but we're going to try something else.  Right foot I have some cartilage on top of foot from where arthritis is starting, he said it's a very common place for runners to get it...and have tendonitis really bad in ball of my foot going up the toe. 

I can't wear the slings he was going to put on because of my allergies, they use some spray tape, then glue...that's a no for me, I'll end up in ER.  So trying some orthotics he made and I'll try and make them on some of my inserts.  If they help, he'll make me professional ones like that.  If not, we'll do the Cortisone shots.  He said being on Prednisone is great for these injuries...otherwise he'd give me anti-inflammatories but he said steroids are the best. He said typical distance-runner injuries...I told him I don't run distance anymore...he said doesn't matter and he can tell I don't sit on the couch either.

Anyway, I ran with DH yesterday(it was17* when we went out and got to 50* yesterday) and power-walked with my gf.  After my appt got groceries.  Then met DH at home and we went to dinner, Marshall's, came home and got Lucy and walked the park.

Today has many options...lol.  We may do the W&OD bike trail...but there's another place we've been wanting to hike and something always comes up to stop us.

nomless...are you off this weekend?  Do you guys observe Govt holidays..I think you do if I remember correctly?

Mmsfoxxie...what is on your schedule today?  I have to burn off last night's dinner today, I didn't have carrot-cake but I got what I wanted.  The waiter brought our food and started to hand me the salad and dh the grilled chicken sandwich and french fries....Uh, noooo, "I" was having the big meal, dh was having the salad...lol!  Have to say though, only ate a few fries, I don't think I like them anymore. 

bopper...we're supposed to be over 60* today...it's 27* right now.  And plenty of sun too...see if they get it right for a change.  Enjoy your warmer weather!

Valued Contributor

Oh brother....it seriously doesn't seem like I type that much!  I hit SEND and see I have another book...lol!  I didn't even say half of the things that went on yesterday or the day before for fear it would be too long and bore everyone to tears....too late...lol! 

I guess those that want to zzzzz when they read mine, know enough to skip it by now.  Heading down to do some yoga and pilates with DH. 

Honored Contributor

@MickD, almost fifty?  You're still a baby, lol.  You can keep up with your son after all.  I'll be 70 in August with all of the aches, pains, lumps and bumps to prove it, lol.  Not complaining, though.  At 56, my mother already needed me as her care giver since she had seizures do to being an alcoholic during her life.  Also, because she was an alcoholic, she didn't know she had glaucoma until just before coming to live with me and she was practically blind.  So, I always think of her condition if I start to feel sorry for the osteoarthritis and glaucoma that I inherited from her.  Due to having a sound (or almost) mind and good health insurance, I'm not in the drastic stage of anything and for that I give many thanks.

@Iluvlucy, if you ever are able to bottle some of your energy and sell it, please let me be your first customer, lol.  I won't eat/drink egg whites, though, if that is your secret.  I was just reading recently about the 80 year old body builder who didn't start until she was 71.  Part of her diet is drinking egg whites in the morning and running ten miles before going to teach a training around 7 am.  I was exhausted from reading about her.  Looks like you have a husband that has fitness in common with you.  Great!

Well, today is my Zumba class.  Maybe I'll do about a mile of walking...just maybe.  Still have to baby my knee.

@laura14, where are you, girl?  You're missing in action, even on the Y&R thread as well as the one you started on healthy cooking.  I hope you're ok.

Hello, to all of you out there reading this thread.  Have a wonderful weekend.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

Happy Saturday, we are at 62 degrees, I kid you not!   Almost unheard of here in February.  People were out in shorts and tank tops running along the lake which has ice burgs  Haha...I walked about 5 miles today, hubby went with me for a little bit.    We went to the car wash too trying to get the salt off the car, everyone and their brother were waiting to wash their cars too.  

The dog races were pretty cool.  Those pups were ready to roll!  It was so mild though, 40's when they took off.  There were 12 teams running and they had count downs for each musher.   They go 200 miles and return here tomorrow morning.  We noticed on our way home from town today that much of the trail is melting really fast.   We figured about 4000 people went downtown last night to cheer on the mushers.  I think that's more than we get at the 4th of July parade!

I also did my Pilates machine and I sprang for the new Anniversary one!   I have found I really like it, this time I"m sticking with it.  My old machine is the first one they ever sold with the burgundy carriage and the handles you have to tie, and I don't mean tie like in at the handles, this one you have these 2 loopy plastic things near the handles and you have to loop the cords through the plastic things and I can never get them the same length and it's just time for a nicer machine.  I am already noticing my sciatica seems better because I"m stretching it out 2x a day .  Not saying it still isn't bothering me as it is, but it seems looser in my hips.   

Lucy sounds like your day is nice too, your feet have taken a beating.  I hope the Orthotics will help, my feet are hurting too but not from running but I am leaning towards arthritis in my big toe joint also.  

Foxxie I'm soon to be 62, where does the time go.   You do a great job with your zumba class and walk, my knees aren't great either.

MickD you are just a young whipper snapper!  

Laura I watch Y&R too, I have watched it for probably 40 years.  My mom and I used to watch together, she is not  passed but I watch it every day and my record it for my hubby.  I also watch B&B afterward.

Well almost dinner time, I'm hungry now.  Guess I"ll start preparing that.   Have a great rest of your day!

Honored Contributor

@bopper, 62.... I remember it well.  Subtle body changes start to happen.  At least for me it did.  Then at 65, what was subtle became more pronounced.  Still in decent shape but there was a difference.  Great that you're doing the Pilates.  You're not just stretching, you're building muscle.  That was my mistake...not exercising.  I thought running around the school where I worked was enough but apparently not.  Tiring but it didn't work my muscles to support these bones.

I watched the soaps with my mother, too.  And grandmother.  We called them 'the stories', lol.  I watched Y&R from the beginning.  Missed a lot of it when I went back to work when my twins were about nine but usually taped it to watch later.  Then I'd sometimes get mad at them and boycott for a few months.  

Valued Contributor

And it's Sunday morn again.  We watched a movie last night...Arrival.  Eh, can't say as I liked it as much as others seemed to. 

So many places had an unusually warm, sunny day yesterday...here too even though it was cold when we headed out and we didn't have gloves and my fingers were freezing.  But once the sun hit everything warmed up rather quickly....went from 27* to 70*!   

We went hiking/running(ran the first 3 miles because we were so cold) at Points of Rock MD on the C&O Canal.  Lots of history in this state...we even stopped at another park where the Battle at Ball's Bluff was and hiked there a little.  You can just be out on the trails and run across these interesting Civil War fyi's. 

Then we went to some antique shops as we drove home...very expensive.  Saw some old doors from Egypt that I loved.

DH and I played tennis yesterday afternoon and I have to say, I was sweating like crazy..but really enjoyed it.  Always flares up my old arm injury from painting though and dh's back was hurting last night.  I also tweaked my back a little doing obligues on my reformer...but it only lasted a minute thank heavens.  

Hope you're okay nomless, I miss seeing you here every day.  I'm broken out with hives again and my eyes were almost swollen shut this morning...seem to be on a cycle.  Not sure what we're doing today, I know church is out!  Scare everyone half to death. 

Respected Contributor

Hey all, another nice day here, not as warm but above normal, blue skies and everyone is outside today.   I did 40 minutes on the Reformer this morning and then walked this afternoon, visited my father and now watching the Wings.

Above normal temps all week and next weekend I heard we may get a snow storm but that's okay, we melted quite a bit.

They had to change the finish line for the dog race too, so much was melted.

Lucy your area has so much history and places to explore.  Glad you had fun .   Sorry your hives are back, I hope it doesn't turn into a major flare for you.   I haven't played tennis in ages.  Sounds fun!

Waving to nomless, Laura, Cater, MickD, foxxie, and anyone wanting to say hello, we're here to just visit and try and stay healthy and fit.