Honored Contributor

Weight Watchers- I could use your help!

A relative told me yesterday that she just enrolled in Weight Watchers. She dabbled in it in the 80s, but hasn't done a program for weight loss since. I was hoping you could share your wisdom about what works, what doesn't work, and anything else about the program. I do not live in the same area of the country, or else I would try to exercise/cook with her.

Here is some background information:

She is in her late 60s.

She didn't say her starting weight or the goal weight, but I'm guessing she could lose 50 pounds or more.

Health wise she is fine, but she has had some surgeries that can impede exercise. She has had wrist surgery on her dominant wrist and multiple knee surgeries on both knees.

She does have access to a pool, so I suggested swimming for her exercise. She also owns a bike.

She can walk for exercise, but her pace is very slow (think strolling).

She owns a Vitamix and a Ninja and likes smoothies.

She owns an iPad, so she can download apps (I told her about myfitnesspal.com).

Her digestive system can be problematic- had the gallbladder removed and tends to get diverticulitis if she consumes seeds or anything that is too high in fiber.

She will follow something that works, but often gives up when she doesn't see results (especially with supplements).

She lives alone, so she can cook whatever she wants for any meals.

She still works part time, so daily exercise might not be possible on her "long" days.

She isn't on the boards, but I will forward any information you would like to share.

Thanks so much in advance!