Respected Contributor

Re: Walk in URGENT CARE vs Walk in ER

@LTT1 wrote:

@granddi@millieshops@I am still oxox@Kachina624@MaggieMack

It keeps happening ... these "out of network' charges! You were right to question these charges.

Medical charges are getting so complicated that I am tempted to make a list and keep it in my wallet.

Has anyone else had the "demand up-front" payment? That is a "bear" to get back $$ owed back to you after the fact!

Better keep a chalkboard list!  Everything about insurance and Medicare keeps changing!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@winamac1 wrote:

I live in a large city so we have many urgent care clinics within a 15 to 20 minute drive.  Most of the physicians at these clinics have practices of their own or are in a group practice.  They work at the urgent care for extra money.  They are very competent clinicians.

After my failed attempt at having a colonoscopy 4 or so years ago, I ended up in an ER as I was so constipated and in excruciating pain.  I have good insurance and they still charged me $2200 for 4 hours in the hospital and an enema.  I avoid the ER's unless it's a very bad situation.  I don't want to pay these egrecious fees.  My insurance paid around $7,000 for those 4 hours, and I paid over $2200.

As my Dad used to say, "That's highway robbery!"

Honored Contributor

There are those mini walk in clinics at alot of the drug stores now too. That might be more cost effective even before the Urgent Care clinics. I see them everywhere I go, in Walmart, at our local Rite Aid . Haven't tried them but I would if I needed to.

Honored Contributor

The newest one in our city that just opened last week is called "Hospitality ER".  When I saw the name and the newly constructed two story homey type business I thought what is next,  all day Continental Breakfast?   It is all business for them.  We need them but they do know how to get our wallets.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many Urgent Care Clinics in my area do not have a doctor on staff.  What you see and are treated by is a Nurse Practitioner or Physician's Assistant.  I have gone to the Medical Clinic that is on the same campus as my local Cleveland Clinic and was very happy.  I went to a stand alone urgent care and wasn't happy at all with them and wouldn't go back.  All these facilities bill my insurance as just a routine doctor visit and I pay a $15.00 co-pay.

If I have to go to the ER and am not admitted, I have a $100.0 co-pay and I am required to pay that before I leave the hospital. 

Honored Contributor

WALK IN ERS COST THOUSANDS MORE. BUYER BEWARE.

Honored Contributor

I have used the CVS Minute CLinic many times when I couldn't get in to see my doc or the pediatrician; excellent service and care. I have a few family members who are nurses and doctors; EACH one says to NEVER use the ER as a walk-in. If you MUST come to the ER, ask yourself if you need to call 911 and request an ambulance and if not, wait and see your doc instead.

My local paper has done a few stories regarding how the ER is now the place for the uninsured to go for care.  A walk-in can wait 5, 8, 10 hours before being seen and often people leave without ever being seen. 

Urgent Care around here is an odd duck. They are around but I don't know anyone who has ever used one, I have never seen anyone IN one or walk into one (they're in strip malls next to restaurants, Target, places you tend to shop) and quite a few have closed down in the past 2 months.

Those in the know apparently want it known to avoid them completely and use the ER ONLY if you come by ambulance. 

What a mess.

Honored Contributor

Obviously, we all need to familiarize ourselves with our specific insurance plan's benefits and charges  .... hopefully, in advance so you know what to do.

Having said that, EMERGENCY ROOM should be for life threatening issues, like a heart attack or gun shot wounds.

URGENT CARE is for needing immediate medical attention, such as a broken arm or the like.

Of course, proximity matters, too.

Honored Contributor

@granddi

When I have medical issue, and/or my wife, seems they are always serious enough to call 911, or take our 5-6 minute drive to the ER. When I go to the ER,  I seldom come home the same day. Last 2 visits, 1 last year, the other in April of this year. I spent 6 days as an in-patient each time? Same thing with my wife.

Now were I to partially cut a knuckle off on my hand, that coupled with the fact I am no longer on Coumadin/Warfarin, I would drive the 15 minutes to the closet Urgent Care and see if they could sew it back on. If not? Off to the ER once again.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

They passed a bill in Florida this summer making this practice illegal. If you are working at a covered hospital - such as anesthesia , ER, radiology etc etc then you are REQUIRED BY LAW to accept payment from the ins co, and the ins co is required to cover it. Every state should pass this law.