Honored Contributor

Re: WFPB eaters, are you planning on having traditional holiday dinners?

Thanksgiving is my favorite day of the whole year. It needs to be treated with reverence and respect and celebrated the entire 24 hour period. After that back to the regular diet until my Christmas Eve birthday and Christmas Day. Short break until New Year's Eve and Day. Then the final holiday blow out is Super Bowl Sunday.

No guilt allowed on any of these days. They only come one time a year and in comparison to all those regular days we get through each day it only right to enjoy yourself. ALL DAY LONG for each day!! Just plan on being good on those other 350 + days ahead in 2015.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

On 11/24/2014 colliegirls said:

I hope I don't ever get to the point where I cannot enjoy eating traditional meals. So far, no health issues. I will not eat low fat plastic tasting foods. Nothing in excess is still my motto.

ITA. Low fat plastic tasting food is disgusting!

Esteemed Contributor

A little turkey meat seems to me to be the least of the problem with a traditional Thanksgiving meal. The amounts of sugar, salt, and fat in most of the sides is more than I can take. At best it is going to be some salad with it.

Honored Contributor

Well I did read there is a CHOCOLATE SHORTAGE. LOL!!! They say we could run out of chocolate by 2020. OH NO!!!! They said to expect more nougat, nuts etc & less chocolate on/in your candy. I have already noticed this myself. DH & I were eating a candy bar the other day & I told him it had more nuts in it & needed some more chocolate. Did not think anything else about it until I read about the chocolate shortage.

{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Respected Contributor

On 11/23/2014 sgraham30 said:
On 11/23/2014 gonnab said:

What's WFPB????

Whole food plant based. If it didn't exist when your grandparents were growing up, you're not supposed to eat it. This lifestyle emphasizes meat every once in a great while, no more than a 2-3 oz serving, beans, & lots of fresh,preferably organic fruits, veggies, & greens/lettuces. When you do eat meat, it's to be used as a condiment, not as the main part of the meal.

I grew up eating that way. We didn't have a name for it.. It's just how we ate. Smiley Happy
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

On 11/24/2014 colliegirls said:

I hope I don't ever get to the point where I cannot enjoy eating traditional meals. So far, no health issues. I will not eat low fat plastic tasting foods. Nothing in excess is still my motto.

READ: processed. Ergo, not WHOLE foods.

geez

Super Contributor

On 11/24/2014 Marienkaefer2 said:

What's WFPB????

Whole food plant based. If it didn't exist when your grandparents were growing up, you're not supposed to eat it. This lifestyle emphasizes meat every once in a great while, no more than a 2-3 oz serving, beans, & lots of fresh,preferably organic fruits, veggies, & greens/lettuces. When you do eat meat, it's to be used as a condiment, not as the main part of the meal.

I grew up eating that way. We didn't have a name for it.. It's just how we ate. Smiley Happy

How wonderful Marien, do you still eat this way?

Respected Contributor

On 11/24/2014 Go Pokes! said:

What's WFPB????

Well, yes....It's what I'm used to. Smiley Happy I just finished dinner which included a nice fresh bunch of spinach. I had a small piece of salmon, and a salad with tomatoes, beans, fresh red leaf lettuce, and olives because I love Kalamata olives. I do eat fish at least once a week, or at least every other week. Sometimes chicken, but it's a serving no.more than the size of my palm. I just bought some beautiful Jonagold apples today (my favorite) and I'll have one later. Now, on Thanksgiving, I eat Turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing, pumpkin pie. Smiley Happy But that's one day. Same with Christmas. Smiley Happy
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

What's WFPB????

Well, yes....It's what I'm used to. Smiley Happy I just finished dinner which included a nice fresh bunch of spinach. I had a small piece of salmon, and a salad with tomatoes, beans, fresh red leaf lettuce, and olives because I love Kalamata olives. I do eat fish at least once a week, or at least every other week. Sometimes chicken, but it's a serving no.more than the size of my palm. I just bought some beautiful Jonagold apples today (my favorite) and I'll have one later. Now, on Thanksgiving, I eat Turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing, pumpkin pie. Smiley Happy But that's one day. Same with Christmas. Smiley Happy

LOVE IT!

I made a simple lentil bbq tonight, with a few tsps of molasses and liquid smoke. It was delicious, and I topped it with a dollop of homemade sweet relish. YUM

Honored Contributor

What's WFPB????

LOVE IT!

I made a simple lentil bbq tonight, with a few tsps of molasses and liquid smoke. It was delicious, and I topped it with a dollop of homemade sweet relish. YUM

Sweet Mama...that's sounds GOOD! It's been too long since I used Liquid Smoke....have to revisit that.