Super Contributor
I have been taking about 7000 IU for about 10 years. I finally had my levels checked last July, and it was at 67. I get no sun and wear sunblock as well.
Honored Contributor
On 5/15/2014 stilltamn8r said: My level was 6... That was over 4 years ago...strange cause I am in so Cal and in the sun everyday with no sunscreen... After a supplemental 50,000 iu TWICE a week for 4 years, I am up to a "Whopping" 27...... I don't feel deficient ib any way except the leg cramps at night... I am beginning to think its a scam....
My level was also 6. I had been taking 2,000 units a day, but I recently added another. 1,000. I was very I will at the time my blood work came back a 6. You can't absorb calcium if you are deficient. Your immune system is also affected. It's not a scam, but some other factors can block absorption.
Super Contributor
On 5/15/2014 Mindy D said:
On 5/15/2014 stilltamn8r said: My level was 6... That was over 4 years ago...strange cause I am in so Cal and in the sun everyday with no sunscreen... After a supplemental 50,000 iu TWICE a week for 4 years, I am up to a "Whopping" 27...... I don't feel deficient ib any way except the leg cramps at night... I am beginning to think its a scam....
My level was also 6. I had been taking 2,000 units a day, but I recently added another. 1,000. I was very I will at the time my blood work came back a 6. You can't absorb calcium if you are deficient. Your immune system is also affected. It's not a scam, but some other factors can block absorption.

And, my calcium levels are normal, BUT I have osteoporosis...Go figure....i have a blood disease hat I believe is at the root of all of this, and I really don't htink my Vit D will get any better, but is there any harm in taking the 50,000 IUs twice a week?

Esteemed Contributor

I just read an artice by Dr. Mercola about this. I've been taking 400IU which is way too small. I think I should be taking 3500IU at least. I have to have labs next week and will request a vitamin D level!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

If you supplement with D3 please do some research on other nutrients that need to be taken with it.

Taking large doses of a single thing (like D3 or Calcium) will through off the balance. Most of these work best when balanced with other things.

D3 needs to be balanced with K2 and magnesium, to mention two.

Respected Contributor
On 5/15/2014 stilltamn8r said:
On 5/15/2014 Mindy D said:

And, my calcium levels are normal, BUT I have osteoporosis...Go figure....i have a blood disease hat I believe is at the root of all of this, and I really don't htink my Vit D will get any better, but is there any harm in taking the 50,000 IUs twice a week?

My only suggestion, and you may be doing this already, if you are considering taking that high of a dose twice a week, I would work with your doc. That is a high dosage for sure.
Honored Contributor
On 5/15/2014 aprilskies said:
I really don't know what to believe anymore either. I just went to doc and my test came back at 28. She asked me how much I was taking and I said 4000 a day but not really since I really don't take vitamins in the weekend. Anyway, she acted surprised and said that was too much and I should take 2000. Well, how is that too much when I am below the range. So, I don't get it sometimes. I don't get out in the sun all that much and will try this summer to get out more. I can't take the heat so always find myself inside in air conditioning. I been below the range for a few years now.

My doctor recommends 1000 IU of Vit D3. I told him that's not enough. I told him I was taking 3500 IU but I'm taking 6500 IU. I forgot the new capsules I bought have 2500 IU in each capsule. When I 1st started buying them from Andrew Lessman he only had the 1000 IU capsules. The price is the same for the 1000 IU or the 2500 IU.

Honored Contributor
On 5/16/2014 willdob3 said:

If you supplement with D3 please do some research on other nutrients that need to be taken with it.

Taking large doses of a single thing (like D3 or Calcium) will through off the balance. Most of these work best when balanced with other things.

D3 needs to be balanced with K2 and magnesium, to mention two.

I already know that but a lot of people don't. I asked the doctor how to figure out how much Calcium, D3, Magnesium & K2 (MK7) to take. He did not have a clue. He said you could only absorb so much. I told him I knew you were only suppose to take 500 mg of calcium at a time because your body could not absorb more then that at one time. He just kind of looked at me when I was asking how to figure how much of each to take so it would go to the places it needs to go instead of going to your heart or arteries. I know he thinks I should not be reading all this stuff on the internet as I have had a few doctors already tell me this. It's confusing trying to figure out how much of what to take. I read for every 1000 IU of Vit D3 you take you could benefit from 100 mcg of K2. Calcium & Magnesium on a 1 to 1 ratio. No test to check K2 (MK7) levels. I don't eat fermented foods so I don't know if I have enough Vit K2 (MK7) or not.

Honored Contributor
On 5/15/2014 Shelbelle said:

I was always told a good score is anything over 30.

This is the chart I'm going by.

Honored Contributor

Dr Weil, who I always trust says do not take more than 10,000 IU daily, Vit D can be toxic if over used.