Honored Contributor

Re: Vicks vapo rub for toenail fungus

[ Edited ]

I wish people would try the distilled white vinegar solution.   It works brilliantly.  You just have to be a little patient and be sure to do it twice a day.   I did this years ago and it has never come back.  

Respected Contributor

@Rachb wrote:
I should add that my problem doesn't seem to be systemic. My nails grow out clear but get fungus under polish. And no, changing salons doesn't help. It just happens. Maybe I'm leaving the polish on too long. I've decided to leave the polish off for a bit but don't want to wait until the entire nail grows out to clear it up. I sent my hubs out last night to get vapo rub. I applied, went to bed, and I swear I see an improvement this morning.

The same thing happened to me under nail polish, whether a salon, or me doing my own.  I used tea tree oil and vicks, no polish all last winter. When i put on polish it is one coat for just a few days.  

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

My daughter was just told by a podiatrist she needs laser treatments for 6 mos. to get rid of her toenail fungus, and insurance does not cover it.

I'd get a second opinion! I have the problem and my pod. told me to get OTC meds for it. My nail tech told me about Vicks , too. Pod. said it doesn't work! I also heard soaking daily in cider vinegar helps. Can't hurt!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Trusted Contributor

@Rachb wrote:
Anybody have success with this remedy? If yes, what regimen did you follow and how long did it take to see results?

I had the fungus on several toe nails and tried many over the counter remedies but finally got rid of it through the prescription medicine proscribed by my dr---I took Lamisil pills for 3 months and that worked fine Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

My 1st time getting this in 2012 - I had my big toe nail removed.

It was the worst pain I had ever been through.  Midway through removing it, I was screaming in pain.

The doc either didn't give me enough pain med, or didn't wait long enough for it to work.

Finally I did give me some dandy stuff.

Maintaining it was something. Soaking it twice a day to fight infection.  Could not wear shoes for a couple of weeks. 

Even taking a shower was painful.

Nothing could touch it, even a sheet.  I was very nervous in public for fear of someone stepping on my toe.

Took about a year to fully grow out.  I was surprised that no one (including children), made a big deal about me missing that nail.

In fact some will still put polish on it, when painting their nails.

I see a different doc, and am taking Lamisill.  Don't like having to have my liver tested before taking it.  That scares me, what could it do to my liver.

If I get it again, I am going to have it removed permanently.  Might as well just get it over with.

I do regret not having it permanently removed.  Because I have fungus on that same toe for the 3rd time!

Jean

Trusted Contributor

I had laser and it was not successful. I even had to buy a gizmo to sanitize all my shoes. 

Honored Contributor

Good old Vicks Vaporub!

Contributor

couple of questions.......Do you have to remove the nail before treating it and do you have to NOT use polish in order for it to go away?

Thanks