Trusted Contributor

Re: Vacation Canceled because of Snoring

Does this house have separate bedrooms, or is it "dormitory" style?

If there are separate bedrooms, she should be honest about her loud snoring and ask for roommates who wouldn't mind sharing a room with her, then keep the door closed during the night so others can't hear her.

I understand where she is coming from.  Some people ARE thoughtlessly cruel and do complain about loud snoring as if it's something the person can control!  Many absolutely do not want to share rooms with someone who snores.

I hope she can work something out so she can go and have fun!  Or, perhaps if someone else volunteered to stay with her elsewhere it would help her not feel like an "outsider."

Contributor

I have vacationed with a sister who snores a lot. We shared in a room with twin beds, but used a box fan on the floor to create "white noise", and I slept fine. Of course these were beach vacations, where a fan makes sense. Might be other "white noise" ideas out there. 

Valued Contributor

Why would you need to share a room?  I have done get aways with girls, but each had own room or hotel room.  

Honored Contributor

I'm not understanding the sleeping arrangements ... won't each couple have their own room?

Respected Contributor

I actually appreciate someone who is considerate enough to not want to bother others.  I am a light sleeper and someone who is excessively loud would ruin my time.  Hard to believe there is not an area she could sleep without disturbing.  I would try to assist with that so she could join the group instead of leaving her out. 

Honored Contributor

@DottieBlue wrote:

Does this house have separate bedrooms, or is it "dormitory" style?

If there are separate bedrooms, she should be honest about her loud snoring and ask for roommates who wouldn't mind sharing a room with her, then keep the door closed during the night so others can't hear her.

I understand where she is coming from.  Some people ARE thoughtlessly cruel and do complain about loud snoring as if it's something the person can control!  Many absolutely do not want to share rooms with someone who snores.

I hope she can work something out so she can go and have fun!  Or, perhaps if someone else volunteered to stay with her elsewhere it would help her not feel like an "outsider."

try sharing a room for 25 years with a snorer

Honored Contributor

I remember talking about this one time with a widow woman and she said what she would give to hear her husband snore again. I kept mouth shut after that.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I remember talking about this one time with a widow woman and she said what she would give to hear her husband snore again. I kept mouth shut after that.

Well, she obviously wasn't kept awake all night every night by one.  I am a very light sleeper, and if someone was snoring in my hotel room I might as well spend the night in the lobby.  It's not anyone's fault if they are a light sleeper.  Nothing you can really do about it. 

Respected Contributor

There are definitely solutions for snorers that work for some people.  She needs to ask her doctor. 

Esteemed Contributor

Stacking 2 or 3 pillows, thus raising the head,

helps some people. Have to be careful not to put a lot of strain on the neck however. Worth a shot!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)