Valued Contributor

I have had been through the wringer with gastro problems for a year. Today I was diagnosed with Ulcer Colitis and IBS. He has me on Dexlant, Liberax, and VSL#3. The VSL#3 is a medical food grade probiotic that must be refridgerated. I was taking the Andrew Lessman probiotic, but I guess it wasn't enough. 

I was wondering if anyone has had good response taking this.

Trusted Contributor

@granny me  I'm so sorry to hear about your gastro issues.  I have many digestive, etc., issues as well.  I know a bit of what you speak.  It's very frustrating, painful, etc.  I have a hiatal hernia, too.  So most days are a mystery of what the problem will be this day.

I have been taking 1MD probiotic, which has worked quite well for me.  It has eliminated the prescription for constant heartburn, for which I am thrilled.  This is not a prescription, but works much better than other over-the-counter probiotics I have tried in the past.

Best of luck to you, I hope you get a great deal of relief.Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

OMG, I have diverticulitis, hernia on top of this now. I live in the bathroom, some days I can't even wear a bra because I am so swollen the bra puts pressure on my abdomen. I have been scoped, scanned, and bleed. out looking for the cause and I can't believe it has taken a year to get an answer. But hopefully this will work, because I can't live like this.

Take care, I feel your pain as well.

the best probiotic recommended by infectous disease doctors when my husband was ill and he is still taking it

Respected Contributor

Has anyone had or know someone who has had a FECAL transplant? One study suggests that 98% of IBS can be cured with this procedure. I think Mass General is doing them.

This replaces the good bacteria from a donor usually a relative. 

Valued Contributor

@granddi wrote:

Has anyone had or know someone who has had a FECAL transplant? One study suggests that 98% of IBS can be cured with this procedure. I think Mass General is doing them.

This replaces the good bacteria from a donor usually a relative. 

I have never heard of this.

Respected Contributor

Having digestive problems for years, I finally got relief from antidepressants and from treatment by an acupuncturist every 2 weeks.  My problem turned out to be a lack of serotonon in the digestive system.

Valued Contributor

I have only heard of a fecal transplant for those who have C.Difficle colitis that is being helped by nothing or that reoccurs--never heard of it for any other type of colitis or IBS.

As for VSL#3, my GI doctor prescribed it for me when I had C.Diff last year--it did nothing for me and gave me allergic hives, so I cannot take it. Seems GI doctors like to recommend this probiotic--it probably helps a lot of people and is worth trying.

Regular Contributor

OH goodness. I have plenty wrong. Hiatal hernia, ulcer on my most recent scope, ibs, ulcerative cholitis, a fallen rectum, enough painful systems to deal with. I don't buy into Lessmans products. 

But I take my scripts. 

Respected Contributor

@HiLo wrote:

Having digestive problems for years, I finally got relief from antidepressants and from treatment by an acupuncturist every 2 weeks.  My problem turned out to be a lack of serotonon in the digestive system.

How was the serotonon deficiency diagnosed?