Honored Contributor

Re: Uterine Cancer, Atrophy & Estrogen Cream Use--Opinions?

@Sunshine wrote:
I was told to never use estrogen b/c my mother had breast cancer. But I was having terrible vulvar burning and I was in my early 30's. After seeking help from so many Drs. who didn't have a clue what was causing the burning I was diagnosed with Vulvodynia. I've been using Estrace cream for many years as it works well for me. The dose is very small. Once a week I have to use Clobetasol ointment b/c I also had Lichen Sclerosis .Between those 2 topical meds. my life is much better. I'm not afraid of getting a female cancer. If it improves my quality of life, then I'm going to continue using it. I hope you find a topical med. to help you.

I had  LS too a few years ago, but for the last year I have totally weaned myself off the Clobetasol cream, that contributes to the dryness, so happy to be off of it, my GNY approved me getting off of it.

Esteemed Contributor

/

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Super Contributor

My gyno had the pharmacist prepare a compound containing testosterone, lubricant and stimulant in a cream form.  If libido is the only issue, then go to menopauserx dot com and view their online store.  There is a cream called Awakening which is excellent.  It is a non-hormonal topical cream.  They also sell it on altmednetwork dot net but it is called Satisfaction.

Respected Contributor

I apologize that so many responses are not related to the OP question relating to post cancer issues. Perhaps all with v-dryness can be more informed with this discussion.

It is so confusing bc my gyno just said "water based" lubrication only.  Also said "estrogen for the shortest time possible" A FP recommended swiss navy silicone lubricant. To the coconut oil uses, do you use "as needed" or or a regular schedule? 

Valued Contributor

I wanted to thank all of you so very much for your opinions and suggestions to my very personal problem--I had no idea so many were afflicted with this! When something like this happens, you think you are the only one--until you start asking others--which is why I wasn't embarrassed or ashamed to throw this problem out there. I don't know anyone else, in my age group (58), who has this issue--or they do and they don't mention it. But why suffer? In this day and age?

I have a lot of thinking to do--and a decision to make--that is, if my MRI on Aug 3rd comes back cancer-free (praying, praying, praying that is so!).

For now, I purchased RePlens moisturizer and will give that a try later today--see if that helps at all with this burning (that's driving me absolutely crazy). I guess everyone's sensitivities are different--I am VERY sensitive to pain--and am not a joy to be around when the pain/burning becomes chronic...Grrrrr......

Again, thanks to everyone who posted--and if anyone has more suggestions or experience with this, please continue to post!!!!! God Bless!!!!

Valued Contributor

If anyone is still interested in this topic, I was in touch with the Cleveland Clinic and they sent me a link to an article that I found to be on point with this issue---in short, this article states that because endometrial cancer is estrogen-linked, it is thought it might drive up the risk of recurrence, so it isn't tyically suggested. However, studies in 21 leading cancer centers from around the world note that it has not been conclusively proven that estrogen replacement therapy causes a higher rate of relapse of endometrial cancer--therefore they believe that replacement therapy is a reasonable option for patients at low risk of recurrence, but recommendation should be on an individualized basis.

I was impressed with the Cleveland Clinic --their online chat was closed, but I was encouraged to e-mail them my question and they would get back to me quickly, which they did the next day. They also have a nurse that you can call, free of charge, on issues such as mine. I'm thrilled they understood my question and steered me in the right direction. I feel better about the decision I will have to make next week--knowing that my gyn oncology surgeon is well informed about the newest studies on this subject--and that, hopefully, I won't have to suffer with symptoms that are making me crazy much longer--YAY!!!

Honored Contributor

@Gracies Mom wrote:

I wanted to thank all of you so very much for your opinions and suggestions to my very personal problem--I had no idea so many were afflicted with this! When something like this happens, you think you are the only one--until you start asking others--which is why I wasn't embarrassed or ashamed to throw this problem out there. I don't know anyone else, in my age group (58), who has this issue--or they do and they don't mention it. But why suffer? In this day and age?

I have a lot of thinking to do--and a decision to make--that is, if my MRI on Aug 3rd comes back cancer-free (praying, praying, praying that is so!).

For now, I purchased RePlens moisturizer and will give that a try later today--see if that helps at all with this burning (that's driving me absolutely crazy). I guess everyone's sensitivities are different--I am VERY sensitive to pain--and am not a joy to be around when the pain/burning becomes chronic...Grrrrr......

Again, thanks to everyone who posted--and if anyone has more suggestions or experience with this, please continue to post!!!!! God Bless!!!!

Just as a word of caution, check to see if Replens contains glycerin, if it does, please keep in mind that glycerin breeds yeast infections, I make sure all my intimate moisturuzers are glycerin free, good luck.

Respected Contributor

Re Replens: I haven't checked the ingredients but I am very prone to yeast infections due to having Sjogren's syndrome. The special derm that I see has me taking a fluconazole tablet once a week because she feels I might be having an immune response to the normal amount of yeast I have.

She said I should use the Replens five nights a week and the Estrace two. It would take a while to build up a barrier.

I do use vaginal suppositories; I suspect they have glycerin. I've been on them four years and have only had one yeast infection. Everyone is different.

Respected Contributor

I hope that this topic is not too old to share this information.

I just read about a proceedure called MONALISA TOUCH. And from here on I will quote the article "Atropic vaginitis, mostly found in post menopausal women is characterized by thinning,drying and inflammation of the vaginal walls and can cause painful intercourse, itching, burning and painful urination. An innovatative new health care procedure called MonaLisa Touch is helping change the lives of patients who suffer from vaginal atrophy. The simple 5 minute treatment involves inserting a laser energy tip that pulses stimulating the production of collagen and revitalizing vaginal tissue to restore moisture and comfort."

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

I hope that this topic is not too old to share this information.

I just read about a proceedure called MONALISA TOUCH. And from here on I will quote the article "Atropic vaginitis, mostly found in post menopausal women is characterized by thinning,drying and inflammation of the vaginal walls and can cause painful intercourse, itching, burning and painful urination. An innovatative new health care procedure called MonaLisa Touch is helping change the lives of patients who suffer from vaginal atrophy. The simple 5 minute treatment involves inserting a laser energy tip that pulses stimulating the production of collagen and revitalizing vaginal tissue to restore moisture and comfort."

Sounds like music to my ears!!!