Super Contributor

Today is my two week mark of veganism and all I can say is why didn't I do this sooner. My joints are completely free of aches and pains, I'm down 10lbs and my energy level is much better. I was ready to do this when I took the leap, as I said I had been vegetarian for years off and on during my life, but never full vegan. For the record I'm following the Dr. John McDougall plan; no processed foods and no oil. I also gave up coffee on my own because I only liked it with half and half. Although when you look at it, Dr. Esselstyn, Dr. Campbell and Dr. McDougall are all pretty much preaching the same message so I guess you would say I follow all of them. Also, if you haven't watched the documentary "Forks Over Knives", which is what made me finally take the leap, it's really worth watching.

Honored Contributor

Re: Two Weeks Now of Veganism

I'm glad you are finding something that is making you feel better. As a society, our food is killing us. There is way too much processed food out there, and none of it is of any real value other that it would keep someone from starving.

I've considered getting a Vitamix and changing the way we eat as well. It is a big step, and sometimes needs to be taken in increments for many (like my husband, who might freak!) to ensure long term success.

Hope you have continued success and good health, thanks for sharing!

Respected Contributor

That's really wonderful. Sounds like you are experiencing great benefits. I started 3 months ago trying the vegan route and jumped right in it. But I had to pull back a little bit. But absolutely no meat. I now eat 75% vegan, 20% vegetarian and 5% pescatarian (if that). Maybe that doesn't make sense, I allow cheese and baked goods and just recently started eating some fish. I don't have it at home but when I go out. I will drop the fish at one point but for now will have once in awhile until I get a better handle on it. I still eat processed foods, sometimes too much, but it's so much less. I still don't feel the energy or weight loss but then again I am not eating right sometimes. However, I have noticed that when I do walk or do some exercising, it does not take me long to recover as before. Before, any kind of leg work and I was sore for days and could really feel it, now I may feel it a bit but nothing like before. I actually like this path and will only improve from here. It definitely takes some effort - at least for me. I just recently went to doc and my protein and b12 are well in line. I am so glad this is working for you and hope you keep posting about your progress, it is helpful to hear how others are doing. Good luck as you continue.
Trusted Contributor

I do not know what I am. I drink at least one kale and fruit smoothie a day and either frozen (rarely) or fresh (almost daily) vegetables. I do use EEVO, and today, I had 2 eggs w/spinach for breakfast - which is rare. I do have more energy but I should get more guidance. I feel like I need an egg every now and then. I do not miss the meat. When I go out to eat I always order fish. NOW when my son visits, I will prepare meat, foods with cheese, ect.

Honored Contributor

Have you checked out Jeff Novick's Facebook page? He's a RD that lectures with McDougall & Rip Esselstyn...and an active poster on McDougall's forum. His Facebook page is filled with pictures of super, super simple meals...lots of ideas. Also Chef AJ has a myriad of cooking videos. My cupboards are filled with WFPBLF cookbooks & McDougall books. Has your food budget reduced? McDougaller's take pride w/ how low can they get their cost per day food budget! I'm so happy I have a like-minded poster here to share ideas!

No achy joints, energy up & 10lbs to boot!! Maybe you can be the next Star McDougaller!! Boy those stories are inspiring. Amazing what a little piece of food can do to improve your life....and it's never too late!

Keep posting about your journey. Throughout the years, I always used this WOE as a "means to an end"...ie losing weight, etc., but as soon as I started using it for better health, it became easier than ever.

Definitely, 'mominohio'....our food is killing us. And the explosion of Tyoe 2 diabetes...wow. Especially when I read day-in, day-out on this forum of the aches & pains & worries of arthritis, blood sugar #s, weight, etc...all that can be greatly improved, if not eliminated with a low fat, unprocessed, WFPB diet. Keep posting!!!

Honored Contributor

On 5/16/2014 aprilskies said: That's really wonderful. Sounds like you are experiencing great benefits. I started 3 months ago trying the vegan route and jumped right in it. But I had to pull back a little bit. But absolutely no meat. I now eat 75% vegan, 20% vegetarian and 5% pescatarian (if that). Maybe that doesn't make sense, I allow cheese and baked goods and just recently started eating some fish. I don't have it at home but when I go out. I will drop the fish at one point but for now will have once in awhile until I get a better handle on it. I still eat processed foods, sometimes too much, but it's so much less. I still don't feel the energy or weight loss but then again I am not eating right sometimes. However, I have noticed that when I do walk or do some exercising, it does not take me long to recover as before. Before, any kind of leg work and I was sore for days and could really feel it, now I may feel it a bit but nothing like before. I actually like this path and will only improve from here. It definitely takes some effort - at least for me. I just recently went to doc and my protein and b12 are well in line. I am so glad this is working for you and hope you keep posting about your progress, it is helpful to hear how others are doing. Good luck as you continue.

Baby steps! Your less/no recovery is a result of less inflammation...your body is going, "whew...thank you!". Getting a good baseline with your doctor was wise...important as we get older. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

On 5/16/2014 Pie1993 said:

I do not know what I am. I drink at least one kale and fruit smoothie a day and either frozen (rarely) or fresh (almost daily) vegetables. I do use EEVO, and today, I had 2 eggs w/spinach for breakfast - which is rare. I do have more energy but I should get more guidance. I feel like I need an egg every now and then. I do not miss the meat. When I go out to eat I always order fish. NOW when my son visits, I will prepare meat, foods with cheese, ect.

I would really suggest watching "Forks Over Knives"...get it on Amazon for $4...and an 1.5 hr of your time. It will explain the reasons why EVOO isn't used. Eye-opener. If you have questions, post them here & we can help! Or even go to the McDougall website & post questions there. Tons of support!

Super Contributor

Scorpios, thanks for the inspiring update. I am still struggling between

strict vegan,

strict lowfat (no oil) vegan, (your way of eating)

low carb (Dr. Perlmutter's argument about alzheimers is compelling, I could go with the fat but NOT the meat)

and my current "lowfat vegan except I eat my chickens' organic eggs."

What a mess! Smiley Happy

mominohio, you've got to get the Vitamix. Even if it only means you'd get one more serving of leafy greens a day, that nutrition would add up in your lifetime! - Bird

Super Contributor

well good to know abt your improvement.. m searching some energy supplement for myself as well

Esteemed Contributor

I'm really glad that this new way of eating helps you feel better! The only caution I would add is to maintain healthy fats; i.e., EVOO, because there have been too many studies concerning them. There is no way I could or would give up that. I don't see how that would interfere w/ a vegan diet.

It is always inspiring when people take control of their health!