Honored Contributor

Re: Traumatic aortic rupture.. I found this info interesting

It's easy to blame it on a drug or some other reason

but the fact is...Alan Thicke was CLEARLY not healthy.

He smoked. He indicated via Twitter his diet was bad.

Heart Disease doesn't happen overnight.

Unfortunately he didn't take his health/lifestyle seriously

and...paid the ultimate price. 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is argumentative and baiting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My MIL had an aortic rupture. It was life and death for awhile. I don't recall how long after she got to come home that she lasted. It was a very hard time. So sad, so hopeless. She was on Hospice at home to her end. It's been some time since then, but it was bad.

I looked up what the O/P had printed and I'm not sure that she was on any of those meds mentioned. I don't think so. I think her aorta tore.

But I would think others might want to look the med info up.

Valued Contributor

My dad died from an abdominal aortic rupture , To some extent it is considered genetic and much mor e common in men than in wmen , Yes high cholesterol and weakened arteries ,and or aortic stenosis and aortic calcification do play a part , It usually occurs quite suddenly and surgery is an option if you get to the hospital on time but is not always successful , It is also a very tramatic type surgery.  .There are not usually a lot of signs , However one symptom I have read about is an eccymosysis around your belly button [large extended black and blue marked area ] which is a symptom of bleeding from the aorta[not always present]

cathy from ma.

Honored Contributor

We need to question and research anything that requires medical attention....and take a deep look at our lifestyle.  There are answers/prevention to medical crisis and there are alternatives. Those alternatives require a lifestyle change and taking responsibility for our health as well as doing the research.  It requires waking up rather than accepting the status quo and, perhaps, taking action that requires more than taking meds that have serious side effects.  I truly think that if people were aware of alternatives, they might consider different life choices.  Kindness and compassion rules, people must come to their own conclusions regarding their health.  The consequences are inevitable.

Valued Contributor

In reference to above , My dad smoked and had very high cholesterol.

cathy from ma

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I understand the severity of this thread and why many are concerned. What I am going to say here might put this "certain medicine risks/dangers" in perspective. For some a lot of information is a good thing. For others?  They read something and hear about certain symptoms, and????

A week ago last Monday I went to a good friend of mine funeral. Knew him for over 50 years, and we were partners on our Race Car for several years. I was one that went to the podium to speak to his family, and others in attendance, of my memories of him that many did not know. Talked for about 10 minutes.

Now this friend died from complications of Sepsis, a life threatening form of infection. His chances of dying from an aortic rupture from medicines were not even on the same scale of dying from this infection.

Given a choice of how I die? I would choose an aortic rupture without blinking an eye. Mostly it is quick, unlike slowly dying a painful death from an infection eating slowly away at my body's resistance to live.

That same week, unknown to me, another friend of mine died. He had moved from our city, thus I had lost contact with him. I was told by a friend that is back in town for the Holidays, from his home in Arizona. All of these friends played many years in my Adult Hockey League.

This 2nd friend died of, yes Sepsis, not a ruptured aorta. Similar to an issue I dealt with about a year ago, when I spent 6 days in the hospital, on several different IV Antibiotics. I was bitten by 1 of our felines and fortunately, my nephew-in-law, who is a doctor, immediately admitted me to the hospital. My infection was treated immediately, thus possibly preventing a progression into something much more life threatening. This 2nd friend was not fond of doctors, and I can only guess what happened to him from that point, till he died?

The above comments are facts, not what might be/could be, and other afterthoughts or rhetoric. These 2 friends died of infections, not a ruptured aorta or aortic aneurysm. The friend's funeral I attended suffered for weeks before his death. The 2nd friend, I do not know. I know what I went through with Cellulitis, and it was far from what I call being comfortable for many weeks.

Anyone that takes any OTC meds or prescription meds, and takes time to read the "risk sheets", know well how many dangers of of this or that happening, usually towards the end you might see "and death". 

Any death is a sad time for many people regardless of its cause. For me I think everyone that is adult age should be "Their own #1 Health Advocate", and do it on an informed basis? Not sales pitches touting this miracle or going the other direction by being overly concerned about prescribed meds. They all contain risk factors, but in order to evaluate them for a personal use, one needs to know the truths about their genetics and be honest with themselves with their own Major Risk Factors.

I have taken, and still take prescribed meds, with a long list of risk factors. I am aware of them, but more assure of them extending my life, mostly still functioning at a good percentage of my best, and independently.

Best wishes to anyone that read down this far.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden  anyone who smokes I don't consider "healthy".  Possibly a source to his heart issues. 

Respected Contributor

I also heard years ago that John Ritter's tear could have been caused from his many pratfalls he took over the years.  I believe Lucille Ball also had this happen and she took pratfalls too in her comedy. 

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@SeaMaiden  anyone who smokes I don't consider "healthy".  Possibly a source to his heart issues. 

@hoosieroriginal  Yes....many factors contribute to our overall health....THAT saying genetically some just have a weakness towards disease where others who smoke and eat wrong etc live long lives. To pin point smoking as to his demise would be hard to do as so many things  and a combination of things might have caused it. Some people are just genetically ticking time bombs  for  this sickness...you have this weakness in the artery  your whole life and you never know that you do. And you just drop dead one day.