Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone with allegies know of an equivalent alternative to Sudafed?

I take Sudafed during the time of the year when my nose becomes a faucet and Claritan year round.  I got a nasty surprise today when I found out I reached my limit for Sudafed purchases at Target.  I buy a 15 pack of Sudafed or Claritan-D every 15 or 16 days (when I run out)!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

Wow........Target had a clearance of Alka-Seltzer Plus last spring..........and I bought about 15 boxes at half price.    Enough for the entire hay fever season..........     All I had to do was give my age OUT LOUD at the check-out line.   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

I have good luck with Loratadine.  My doctor suggested it to me.

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Super Contributor

I thought the limit on any products containing ephedrine was a 30 day supply every 30 days? Perhaps the rule is by state? Just try going to a different drugstore and purchasing. I have no idea if you are placed into an actively counting and pharmacy-linked database when they write down your info. It is probably worth a try, and you could always try to explain you made the mistake of only buying a 15 day supply earlier? You will probably only get flagged if you are buying enough product to make you look like you are cooking meth, so it is worth a try if this is the only med that works for you. When my allergies flare up during the seasonal thing, I take 4 capsules of Vitacost Quercetin/Bromelain on an EMPTY stomach in the morning, and I am set for the day. No energy or appetite suppressant effect of course, but it is a natural treatment that works great for many on allergy attacks.

Honored Contributor

My DH takes Sudafed too, he gets a 20 pack, and often reaches his 14 day refill limit, so I just go to Walmart and get one in my name, since I dont take it. He just feels reassured when he knows he has a decent supply on hand.

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Wow........Target had a clearance of Alka-Seltzer Plus last spring..........and I bought about 15 boxes at half price.    Enough for the entire hay fever season..........     All I had to do was give my age OUT LOUD at the check-out line.   

WOW!!!!!  Before I got allergies, I took Alka Seltzer Cold Plus when I felt a cold coming on.  That stuff works great!

Esteemed Contributor

@cancun08 wrote:

I have good luck with Loratadine.  My doctor suggested it to me.

That's generic Claritan.

Esteemed Contributor

@ThinkOutsideTheBox wrote:

I thought the limit on any products containing ephedrine was a 30 day supply every 30 days? Perhaps the rule is by state? Just try going to a different drugstore and purchasing. I have no idea if you are placed into an actively counting and pharmacy-linked database when they write down your info. It is probably worth a try, and you could always try to explain you made the mistake of only buying a 15 day supply earlier? You will probably only get flagged if you are buying enough product to make you look like you are cooking meth, so it is worth a try if this is the only med that works for you. When my allergies flare up during the seasonal thing, I take 4 capsules of Vitacost Quercetin/Bromelain on an EMPTY stomach in the morning, and I am set for the day. No energy or appetite suppressant effect of course, but it is a natural treatment that works great for many on allergy attacks.

That may be correct.  I buy a 15 day supply every 15 days or so.  I was too stunned to ask the pharmacy staff what the regulations were.  I'll stop by CVS and pick some up, or get my husband to get it for me.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

My DH takes Sudafed too, he gets a 20 pack, and often reaches his 14 day refill limit, so I just go to Walmart and get one in my name, since I dont take it. He just feels reassured when he knows he has a decent supply on hand.

Yeah, I'm going to have him pick it up for me.  It's crazy; the product that works the best has these limitations placed on it due to bathroom chemists.

Esteemed Contributor

Everyone, thank you for your input!  I was in a state of shock when I left the pharmacy and couldn't think straight.