Honored Contributor

Re: Statin muscle pain/weakness - please describe

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Thanks, @Trinity11 :-)

I'd be the first to say athletic I'm not, but this is so very different, as you know. For me - out of nowhere and shocking in its intensity.  

Well, today I have some hope because I was able to walk without that serious pain. My husband who body-builds noticed the enormous difference in my endurance. He believes that statins are poison and although his cholesterol is 220, he refused to take them.

I hope in the next few days you get some relief. I know the feeling.....and I have been fighting a kidney infection and on antibiotics and still was better able to walk today without the statins. I have tried 4 times to take them. I am done now....whatever happens happens. Like yourself I would rather have my mobility and ability to get around.

Keep us posted how you are feeling....

For whatever reason, even though it's been a week since I stopped the pills, I seem to be getting worse with the weakness; it might well be the up and down stairs at the motel. Now in the weak leg I have nasty burning muscle pain where I didn't have that 2 days ago.  Gulp. Codeine doesn't touch the pain and Advil doesn't do much.

And - lol 😫 My wifi quit in the room. I called the front desk and they said I HAD to go there IN PERSON to pay for another day (and another room day - tomorrow), no exceptions. So I had to drag myself to the car and drive to the front to do this. At least we settled it so I'm okay until noon Tuesday. Sigh.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Oh @Moonchilde  I am so sorry to hear this. It sounds just like what I had in my arm, a burning like electricy was running down my arm

Mine did go away eventually, but it lasted  a long time. It sounds like it could be neuropathy

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Hi to you this weekend @Trinity11.

Just a slight clarification of my 1st very long winded post. If I didn't rank them by priority, I will do so now.

While I did say "muscle strength", I also mentioned what I view as just as important, maybe even moreso when it comes to muscle spasms/cramps. That would be the "muscle and connective tissue, flexibility".

As a dancer, and the decade makes a huge difference, if it was in the 1960's or even the 1970's. Even professional athletes were not believers when it came to the importance stretching and the importance of doing so. Even "warmups" were seldom seen on a football field or a hockey rink at pre-game.

Look at any of these sports nowadays and you will see a whole lot of stretching during almost any sport before the actual competition begins. 

In the early 1960's I knew little to nothing about stretching. When I took up running later in that decade, and was having all kinda of painful issues, I decided it was time for me to start digging into sports Physiology. There was little to find, but I kept looking until I came to things books by Joseph Pilates.

That opened my eyes and ended much of my painful muscle and tendon issues. It was many years after I started and set up routines for my sports activities. I improvised what I read in those books, but changed them enough to suit my specific muscle groups and tendons.

Anyways, just wanted to add this clarification to my other post. I also spent lots of time at body building contests over the years, and I can tell you from talking with many of the top ones in my area, they knew absolutely nothing about stretching, and some were adamant against doing it. They felt "elongating" would decrease the muscle size and shape, thus be detrimental to their goals.

During those years their only interests were Size/Definition and nothing more. It was long before "vascularity" even entered the body building world. There were however many using steroids, which I thought was nuts, even by then. I think it was Dianabol at that era of time.

You seem to be getting better each time I read about your progress and that always makes me smile a little bigger. I think you know me well enough to understand my purposes for visiting this forum, I just want to put more emphasis on that particular part of my post.

My best to you always,

hckynut(john)

@hckynut John, thank you. I know what you mean about steroids. My husband lifts weights since his stint in the Marine Corps. He said a lot of the guys at the gym were using them back in the day. The big thing is human growth hormone now my son was telling me. At one point my son used protein powder but his liver enzymes increased dangerously so he is back to just lifting. 

Yes, no more heart failure for me. But I was glad I was prepared for the mental aspects of having a heart attack. Often times the depression was tough but you warned me how it can hit a person so your words helped a lot. We have no rehab programs around here so I have been on my own. It would have been nice, though, if I could have talked to people in rehab who had a heart attack and their coping skills..

As always, I thank you for your posts about heart disease. If not for having read your post and having had the luck to learn and comprehend it...I would not be here today. 

My best wishes to both you and your wife. I wish you both years of good health and many blessings for the New Year.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Thanks, @Trinity11 :-)

I'd be the first to say athletic I'm not, but this is so very different, as you know. For me - out of nowhere and shocking in its intensity.  

Well, today I have some hope because I was able to walk without that serious pain. My husband who body-builds noticed the enormous difference in my endurance. He believes that statins are poison and although his cholesterol is 220, he refused to take them.

I hope in the next few days you get some relief. I know the feeling.....and I have been fighting a kidney infection and on antibiotics and still was better able to walk today without the statins. I have tried 4 times to take them. I am done now....whatever happens happens. Like yourself I would rather have my mobility and ability to get around.

Keep us posted how you are feeling....

For whatever reason, even though it's been a week since I stopped the pills, I seem to be getting worse with the weakness; it might well be the up and down stairs at the motel. Now in the weak leg I have nasty burning muscle pain where I didn't have that 2 days ago.  Gulp. Codeine doesn't touch the pain and Advil doesn't do much.

And - lol 😫 My wifi quit in the room. I called the front desk and they said I HAD to go there IN PERSON to pay for another day (and another room day - tomorrow), no exceptions. So I had to drag myself to the car and drive to the front to do this. At least we settled it so I'm okay until noon Tuesday. Sigh.

@MoonchildeIt sounds like neuropathy...I have had it. Burning pain that feels like you are putting your finger in a light socket.

Some of it may be the diabetes but the statin is probably aggravating it. Hang in there, it may get better with lots of rest. I know protein has always helped me with neuropathy.

I am so sorry about the motel issues. I hope you're ok with me saying a prayer for you. Thinking of you and praying you get some relief. 

Respected Contributor

Moonchilde, I don't want to throw wood on the statin fires, but if you have been reading Diabetic News, it seems as if they are always coming up with another salvo against them.

I know what you are saying about going to the doctor and them insisting you stay on "the bloody medication": you don't have to take it.  'Ell, if he/ she does not want to treat you because of non-compliance, so be it.

I don't accept Harvard Medical as the all knowing authority: other university medical schools have done studies -using basically the same techniques, and there findings about Co Q-10 differ.....not that I think taking it now may help.

Be careful with the Vitamin D: it is a fat soluble vitamin which means it's going to stick around and have cumulative effects. Yes, Vitamin D toxicity is a real entity.

I know you are thinking that what you are going through is statin related, but the weakness bothers me.  If it gets much worse, you need to go to the ER. I don't like what you are describing as being progressive.....

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

I am 100% positive my muscle pain wasn't related to diabetes at all. I had it long before, I ever had diabetes

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry And @Trinity11 very sweet, thank you 🌻): I don't think this is neuropathy pain, because I used to have some neuropathy before I started the acetyl l-carnitine and I know what it feels like. I've also had the femoral nerve paresthesias & hypesthesias after surgery. Those feelings I know, and I haven't had those pains at all with this. When I said "burning" that's the best way for me to describe it, but it's a deep, deep muscle pain. I once pulled a groin muscle and it hurts like that. A serious muscle pull is how I'd describe it. But muscle-specific, not neurologic.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @Poodlepet2 :-)

I once had a very severe vitamin D deficiency discovered by my doctor and was on prescription vit D for several months, years ago. Ever since then I've taken it mostly daily - OTC high dose, and have never had any side effects. But the past year I've only taken it 2-3 times a week, so now will make sure it's daily. I will try the CoQ10 as right now I have nothing to lose.  It makes sense to me that taking it while on a statin might not make a difference but taking it after you've stopped and they're not canceling each other out might have a benefit. As I said, nothing to lose... :-(

I do think at least some of the increased pain is the up and down stairs I've had to do at the motel.

I don't have a problem telling the doctor no way, and realize I might need to change doctors. I don't dislike him, but he strikes me as a doctor who doesn't really see his patients as individuals, just bodies he has to get through in a work day. He's not at all into me as me, or cares in that way - he's only seen me 3 times in the past 9 months. It's a large "the only one in town" medical group. 

Honored Contributor

In slightly better news - if the power's not back by early a.m. Tuesday, our friends' power is back on in a nearby town and they have two spare bedrooms, so I might spend Tuesday night until whenever it's fixed, there. There is a river near their house that will likely flood tomorrow - flat agricultural land. Oops! 

My niece heard "Wednesday" about power, but she doesn't remember who said it - the news media & PG&E are saying NOTHING because they think the storm expected tonight & tomorrow might put them back to square one as far as more damage. Niece was just saying every power pole in our area seems to be down :-( She's going to get clothes, take care of the kitty, and bring me meds from home & the CoQ10. And maybe a burrito ;-) She put dry ice in the freezers yesterday, but after tomorrow... :-(

I guess I'l try calling the doctor on Tuesday and see if I can get in with anyone within a reasonable length of time. I suspect an Urgent Care would send me to an ER, which I really don't want to do unless it's clearly worsening. It's on the fence right now.

Thank you, everyone, for your help, advice and concern 💐

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde  If it's on the fence, and the weather allows it, perhaps you should consider going to either urgent care ,or the hospital.

I hate to think of you in more pain and not able to get help.