Honored Contributor

Re: Statin muscle pain/weakness - please describe

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

I was always advised to take COQ10 when I take  statins- I didn't kow exactly why. I figure it was just another measure for heart health. An RN explained to me recently the COQ10 benefits cell functions and counteracts muscle issues from statins. I bought Andrew Lessmans and my muscle issues have been much better- my issues were in my legs mostly. LIke horrible charlie horse crammps 

I'm going to think about the COQ10; most of what I've read  says they don't think it works, or does much. But if I see no improvement in a few days, I probably will get some.

I've been taking COQ10 for weeks and it did nothing to relieve the pain while taking Lipitor. I am thinking I will keep taking it because now without the statin it may start to work on the damage I have from it.

Honored Contributor

Here is some advice from an Airforce flight surgeon, who was also an astronaut for Nasa

https://www.spacedoc.com/articles/pain-relief-vital-for-statin-damaged

Honored Contributor

I have been on Lipitor and/or Atorvastatin, it's generic, since 2003. Pain/weakness/cramps/spasms? Non existent. Is it because I am on a pretty low dose, or might it be because I have always done everything I can do, despite numerous long term rehabilitations, to maintain my leg and major muscle groups and connective tissues as strong and as flexible as they can be?

After seeing hundreds of patients in my 72 Cardiac Rehabilitation Classes, and asking them what they have done to try to overcome some of the issues they were having with the same small dose, of the same medications I am on. I have come to the conclusion, that for some, it very well might be because they have done nothing to retain what little major muscle strength and flexibility they may have had prior to taking this Statin, or trying to increase these values.

Is the the issue with everyone on Statin medications? Of course not. I have enough background via clinics/books/videos, and my own personal, and painful issues, with these parts of human physiology, to believe that there is possibly no down side to have the maximum of strength and flexibility as possible to negate some or all of certain types of muscular/ connective tissue issues, while taking this particular Statin medication.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Here is some advice from an Airforce flight surgeon, who was also an astronaut for Nasa

https://www.spacedoc.com/articles/pain-relief-vital-for-statin-damaged

How utterly depressing! :-(

Good info, but OMG 😰

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@hckynut - be that as it may, when one does have the issue and it's to the point of being incapacitating, especially in the percentage of patients who have permanent, non-regenerative damage (which I desperately hope will not be the case for me), the literature indicates that trying to exercise at that point will actually harm/break down remaining relatively healthy muscle fibers. Basically, you would be stressing/doing damage to any healthy muscle you have left. So, whether one should have been more physically active before the problem occurred is a moot point for those who are in the middle of it. Trying to do that now (physically impossible anyway) would just destroy the muscle we have left.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde

I was not, am not suggesting this to you or anyone else that read my other post. I stated my personal experiences with my own body and that of others. I also stated that this is also the opinion of 2 world renowned exercise Physiologists. As I have stated ad nauseam on this forum, nothing involving the human body applies to every person.

While you may possibly be in the advance stages of non-regenerative issues, others that read this very well my be far from that point. Anything I say on this Wellness Forum is not Medical Advice. 

Since I have been on a Statin Med and been around hundreds also on this particular Statin, I felt I wanted to express my person experience along that of many others with which I have spoken with about this topic.

It is not lost on myself there is very little that I have to say on any given topic with which you agree, the rest I will leave unsaid.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Statins are among the five top medications prescribed in doctors offices for treatment of high cholesterol (or any other number higher than 175 these days).  Any time I have bloodwork done, the doctor(s) mention my cholesterol which is normally between 210 and 250.  However, my HDL is in the 70-80 range and my triglycerides never over 50-60.  So my ratios are good.  I have had these numbers all of my life and I am 79.

The minute they mention it, I hold my hand up and slowly turn my head back and forth while staring straight into their faces.  They say no more.

One of my daughters is an IT working in six hospitals.  She has been doing this for almost 20 years now.  She has doctor friends.  None of them (or any members of their families) take statins.

Just google it.  The first page will tell you everything you need to know . . . and I am talking about the highly regarded medical sites.  It's not a pretty picture.

The irony is the more they prescribe it, the more it is being reported that even high cholesterol (over 300) is not the cause of most heart attacks.

I hope you get better soon, @Moonchilde.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Moonchilde

I was not, am not suggesting this to you or anyone else that read my other post. I stated my personal experiences with my own body and that of others. I also stated that this is also the opinion of 2 world renowned exercise Physiologists. As I have stated ad nauseam on this forum, nothing involving the human body applies to every person.

While you may possibly be in the advance stages of non-regenerative issues, others that read this very well my be far from that point. Anything I say on this Wellness Forum is not Medical Abvice. 

Since I have been on a Statin Med and been around hundreds also on this particular Statin, I felt I wanted to express my person experience along that of many others with which I have spoken with about this topic.

It is not lost on myself there is very little that I have to say on any given topic with which you agree, the rest I will leave unsaid.

hckynut(john)

Exactly!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Melania wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@Moonchilde

While you may possibly be in the advance stages of non-regenerative issues, others that read this very well my be far from that point. Anything I say on this Wellness Forum is not Medical Abvice. 

hckynut(john)

Exactly!!

LOL - and the same to you @Melania 😎 Bless your heart.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @LilacTree

I worked in the medical field for 47 years, and I Just Said No to statins for decades. It's only because I moved, have a new doctor, and he was so insistent that I said yes - plus I had no idea the reaction could be delayed. I assumed if it didn't show up right away I was okay.  And I know, by what he's already said, plus the fact that he gave me a lowest dose, that he'll refuse to believe it's the statin - especially because I have sciatica and have had PT for it. This is VERY different-feeling to that. But I doubt I'll get any help from him.