Honored Contributor

Re: Statin muscle pain/weakness - please describe

@cherry wrote:

@Moonchilde  If it's on the fence, and the weather allows it, perhaps you should consider going to either urgent care ,or the hospital.

I hate to think of you in more pain and not able to get help.

@cherry, tomorrow is a holiday and I don't even know if the doctor's ofc has power or are seeing patients. 

My situation right now is - I don't want to go to a local ER 25 miles from home - what would happen to my car, I can't go "home", there would be no one to get my car or take me home or anywhere else. 

I think I will be able to be around others by Tuesday afternoon. I discussed briefly with my niece; she hadn't known ANY of my woes because I didn't tell her until an hour ago. Her husband is only home from the hospital a week after having 2/3 of a lung removed for cancer. He's all she's been able to think about; I didn't want to add to her stress.  But yeah, I told her I really need to have others around at this point until we can all go home.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde  can you at least tell the front desk what condition you are in ,so someone there,  has an idea of the kind of shape you are in?

They  can call for help if you need it.  I think you need pain meds for starters

Honored Contributor

@cherry The front desk has seen me; they pretty much know.  They've been super responsive to everything I've asked up to now. And there's nothing wrong with my breathing, so as long as I can move I'm not panicking. If I can't go potty, walk to the car or drive, I will DEFINITELY do something. Great-niece is nearby (that's where niece & hubby are) and usually off Tues/Weds, so there is that.

Pain meds - oh yes please! As I said, 800 mg of Advil isn't really doing a lot (just took some), and a single codeine isn't either - BUT that's only when I move; if I lie quietly I don't have resting pain, so there is that. It's only when I stand up and move 😫

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Try to post something tomorrow ,if you can, so we know how you are doing

I think many of us are worried about you

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Thank you, @Drythe ❤

Got a lot on my plate right now. I live smack in the middle of the hardest hit spot in the huge storms on California's Central Coast.  We have been without power for 36 hrs and will probably have no power for at least another 3 days. I'm in a hotel room. I had my first meal in 21 hours a bit ago. My room is UPstairs. My legs literally will not work on stairs. I hope to get a downstairs room tomorrow - fingers crossed. I got the last room at the motel - storm refugees and 3-day weekend.  I'll gladly embrace all the good vibes I can get! 😩

@Moonchilde

I have had 2 serious bouts of Gillian-Barre since April.  It turns out that mine were triggered by Quinalone antibiotics.  So, I can relate at least to the pain. I know the "help system" is on overload in your area, but please contact social services, even if you have to do it through the police.  They might at least be able to get you a ground floor room.

I was working in a natural disaster in when my left knee went septic.  1800 miles from home, no hotels due to evacuation, alone, slept in car, don't remember most of the trip home.  I was too stubborn to call for help.

Praying that you get the help you need.  And you are totally correct, MDs don't know everything, that's why they call it "medical practice".

Please keep us posted.Heart

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

In the diabetes thread (I think it was, not positive) I said that I have had no muscle side effects from the statin I'm on.  But I think I'm horribly wrong.  I've been taking the statin (lowest dose pravastatin) for 6 months with no problem.

About 8-10 days ago I started having symptoms that I thought could be explained by another issue - but I was reaching a bit for that explanation.

My symptoms have been getting progressively worse. I stopped taking it 4-5 days ago, but that hasn't helped yet.

I'm going to start mega doses of vitamin D and calcium & magnesium. Not sure if I will do COQ10 - maybe.

Those who have had this - what were your symptoms, and when did they start to lessen after you stopped taking it? Right now I'm pretty scared it will take a long while to go away or might even be permanent.

And to forestall the usual - no I'm not going to call my doctor just now. I've read that most doctors would rather have you crippled with pain but keep taking the bloody statin - and I know my doctor and he's one of them. I have already stopped taking the drug. I don't care about his "permission" to stop taking it. If I keep having symptoms of this severity I would probably call him then. I understand a course of prednisone sometimes helps. But other than what I've mentioned above, doctors tend to blow you off and don't "treat" you for it, as there's no real sure remedy.  Tell me how you coped!

My first statin was Simvastatin and I was on it a year and a half.  Mine started off insiduously, barely noticing and then thinking it was just getting older.  But I've heard some people get whammed with it after being on it with no problems.

Mine was a muscle ache, started in my legs and arms a month or so after I started taking them.  Then I started having electric like shocks in my legs (not arms) that would come and literally make me jump.  The progression became so severe that I couldn't get up our motorhome stairs without help or pulling myself up.  Then I couldn't open a bottle of water....  I started taking CoQ10 about half way through because of research I read but it did nothing to stop the pain or progression.  During this time I told my doctor who more or less poo-poo'd me and said he'd never heard of anyone having problems like what I was discribing.  But I was all over the Internet researching this drug and decided to titrate down myself, which I did.  It took a while (a couple of months, very slowly) to feel normal again (I did not take anything) however I've never regained 100% of my muscle strength in my legs (even with excercise) or my hands (although they're doing really well and I open my own bottles of water now).  

I then agreed to take another type of statin with a new doctor after we moved across country.  It only took a week to feel it coming on again.  I stopped them as soon as I felt it.  Did not have any more problems, pain stopped within a few days.  I'm now taking Stanols, which have helped lower my Cholesterol....

I still take CoQ10 (Quinol) and have since the half-way through the first episode when I discovered it.  

I think because I was on them for a year and a half that it took a while for my muscles to recover.  For me, I now know I am super sensitive to this drug but my doctor wants me to try yet another one....  what do they have?? Stocks or money invested in this medication??

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Thank you, @Drythe ❤

Got a lot on my plate right now. I live smack in the middle of the hardest hit spot in the huge storms on California's Central Coast.  We have been without power for 36 hrs and will probably have no power for at least another 3 days. I'm in a hotel room. I had my first meal in 21 hours a bit ago. My room is UPstairs. My legs literally will not work on stairs. I hope to get a downstairs room tomorrow - fingers crossed. I got the last room at the motel - storm refugees and 3-day weekend.  I'll gladly embrace all the good vibes I can get! 😩

Praying for you in my birth-state Calif.... and praying your muscles come out of this quickly.  Take care, I know you'll feel better in awhile....

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Here is some advice from an Airforce flight surgeon, who was also an astronaut for Nasa

https://www.spacedoc.com/articles/pain-relief-vital-for-statin-damaged

I have used this website for YEARS!  I was going to post it here and thought everyone would think it was a quack site (come on...spacedoc??), even though I knew it wasn't.  It is loaded with information!  Especially newer info (that wasn't around when I was having my problems) that contradicts some of what the doctors keep telling us about cholesterol....  go to the site and and read for yourself.... then take the info and research it more thoroughly.  

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

I have been on Lipitor and/or Atorvastatin, it's generic, since 2003. Pain/weakness/cramps/spasms? Non existent. Is it because I am on a pretty low dose, or might it be because I have always done everything I can do, despite numerous long term rehabilitations, to maintain my leg and major muscle groups and connective tissues as strong and as flexible as they can be?

After seeing hundreds of patients in my 72 Cardiac Rehabilitation Classes, and asking them what they have done to try to overcome some of the issues they were having with the same small dose, of the same medications I am on. I have come to the conclusion, that for some, it very well might be because they have done nothing to retain what little major muscle strength and flexibility they may have had prior to taking this Statin, or trying to increase these values.

Is the the issue with everyone on Statin medications? Of course not. I have enough background via clinics/books/videos, and my own personal, and painful issues, with these parts of human physiology, to believe that there is possibly no down side to have the maximum of strength and flexibility as possible to negate some or all of certain types of muscular/ connective tissue issues, while taking this particular Statin medication.

hckynut(john)

Your keeping up with excercises is admirable but often the drug will cause weakness in the muscles even if you're in tip top shape.  The doctor/astronaut that keeps up the website Space.doc.com was not only a doctor but an astronaut in top physical condition.  His weakness became so bad he ended up having to use a cane and never recovered his muscle strength. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Q4u wrote:

Your keeping up with excercises is admirable but often the drug will cause weakness in the muscles even if you're in tip top shape.  The doctor/astronaut that keeps up the website Space.doc.com was not only a doctor but an astronaut in top physical condition.  His weakness became so bad he ended up having to use a cane and never recovered his muscle strength. 

@Q4u

I have no idea who this doctor is, but I do know the training necessary before anyone goes into outer space. What I had to say were my personal experience with 1 statin and it's generic for 14 years now and counting. Included were my own observations from talking with others and drawing my own conclusions about this 1 statin. The conclusion is only pertaining to myself.

I said in 1 of my posts that the better physical condition any person is in before a major illness or injury takes place, the better their chances of having better outcomes. If some don't want to take a statin that is their decision to make.

Very few drugs have no side effects, however there are steps that can be taken to minimize them for many people. There are certain posters here that I always listen to what they have to say on this forum, because they are speaking with knowledge and research. Others? 

Said pretty much all that need be said from me in this thread and will sign off from it with this last post to you.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)