Respected Contributor

Re: Started taking Chantix today...

@Mustang Shar wrote:

I really have to quit, but the first time it was really difficult. I didn't use a drug. Now I'm reading how this drug helped you all. I don't like being hooked on cigarettes....  Maybe I can join you in your quest? 

@Mustang Shar  I'd love for you to join me.  We could provide support for each other.

Respected Contributor

@Frankie_Dee wrote:

I used Chantix to successfully quit 7 years ago, then started smoking again during a stressful time. Since it worked well (with MUCH effort on my own part), I tried it again. I stayed on it too long (over 5 months).

In addition to very vivid deams, which I actually enjoyed, I became very depressed. VERY, VERY depressed. At one point it made absolute sense intellectually to just burn down my house instead of having to clear out all the clutter I wanted to get rid of (there's not THAT much!). That's when I realized I had to get off the Chantix. I had to keep reminding myself that it was the drug speaking, not my true feelings. I'm still smoking but I'm gearing up to stop AGAIN. I won't be using Chantix again. Lifelong nonsmokers have no idea how difficult it is. 

I sincerely hope it will assist you in reaching your goal. It has worked for millions of people. Just listen to your inner voice and know if and when the time comes for you to quit taking it. With all the hope and well wishes for success, GOOD LUCK. 

@Frankie_Dee  That is so scary and I'm so sorry you went through that.  Are you okay now?  Have you had any longterm problems?  I plan to stay on Chantix for only 45 days...not a day longer.  

Frequent Contributor

Hi Trudey - My mental health was fine (or at least back to normal!) a coule of weeks after stopping the Chantix. I was recently diagnoised with an "inconsistant mass" in my left breast. Two more days and I'll get the biopsy results from a general surgeon as to whether it's a cyst or cancer. With my family history, it's most likely breast cancer. I decided now would not be the ideal time to quit smoking again, but I really want to lick it this time. When it rains, it pours!

My beloved mother died of COPD (emphesyma) and I watched her suffer until the bitter end. This is incomprehensible to nonsmokers, but even THAT wasn't enough to make me stop. Millions of people have quit smoking, with or without chemical help, so I take that as great encouragement. As I said, Chantix has worked for a lot of folks. I say try it and see how it affects you. Use it as a tool, keep track of what you're experiencing, and maintain a positive attitude. Again, I wish you the best of luck!

Respected Contributor

@Frankie_Dee  My thoughts and prayers are with you as you await your biopsy results.  I hope the news you get is not as bad as you expect.

Respected Contributor

@Trudey wrote:

@Mustang Shar wrote:

I really have to quit, but the first time it was really difficult. I didn't use a drug. Now I'm reading how this drug helped you all. I don't like being hooked on cigarettes....  Maybe I can join you in your quest? 

@Mustang Shar  I'd love for you to join me.  We could provide support for each other.

@Trudey

Let me see where I put the prescription, it was 2 years ago Dr. said they would still be fine. If I CAN find it, get psyched up for it, I might JOIN you!  Will look tomorrow! Hugs, we need it....yikes

Frequent Contributor

@Trudy - Thanks for the prayers and good wishes. Here's something else to consider while you're not smoking. Why do you want to quit? For me, health concerns are of course the primary reason, and there's always the money thing, but I am sick and tired of stinking like cigarette smoke. The house, the car, freshly washed clothes, my hair. Even as a smoker, I know... it stinks!!  I'm constantly aware that other people smell it too, and as a result they make judgments about me and how I live. Yeah, that matters to me. Even when I see someone smoking, my first thought is "That looks really ignorant. It's a nasty habit. Oops. That's me; I'm guilty too."

Anyway, if you've stopped before you've already gone through the thought process, but it helps to focus on what motivates you to quit. I can tell from your posts you are a kind person but I'm guessing YOU STINK too!  Keep us posted on how you're doing. 

Respected Contributor

@Trudey Since you both are using it at the same time, do you have someone close to you (kids, trusted friend) that can keep an eye out for personality changes?  Not to be scary, many have no bad effects, but everyone I know that used it experienced very bad side effects. Sometimes these drugs work in such a way that it slowly creeps up on you. 

Congrats on quitting!!

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

For Trudey, Mustangshar and anybody else who needs encouragement - Here's a great book by Allen Carr. Unfortunately he died of lung cancer at 71, but he'd been a nonsmoker for 23 years. The booklet has a lot of food for thought and helps you work through the psychological aspects of quitting. A lot of people swear by his methods. In fact, y'all have encouraged me to re-read it!  Thanks! 

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking-ebook/dp/B0051XSN50

Honored Contributor

As some of you may recall, I lost A LOT of weight a couple years ago, and have maintained my weight loss for two years as of April 17.

My present life is intensely stressful, and yes, the DESIRE to resort to consumption of inappropriate foods DID return. Forcing myself to focus on my past successes and the source of them DID HELP, and so did reviewing the successes of others who have lost large amounts of weight from online and magazine accounts.

If you have lived successfully without smoking after a life of stained fingers, cost of cigarettes and morning cough, your story may be a big help to Trudey, and truth is, to me too. 

Addiction is addiction, and the message works best between one successfully managing addict and another.

CHEERS @Trudey! Hope yesterday was a productive passage on your way to SUCCESS!

Respected Contributor

@Reba055  We do have some close friends who know we are taking Chantix and will watch out for us.