Respected Contributor

Re: Started taking Chantix today...

Thank you all for cheering me on.  I definitely need all the support I can get.

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Trudey

Yay!!  It's a big step but you can do it!

I've written about Chantix before in this forum & I feel I must share my post I wrote in 2014:

When I read "Chantix", it makes me so, so sad. A friend of a friend of mine died that is Chantix related...I believe it created the legislation for the safer Chantix of today.

Carter Albrecht was a musician here in Dallas in 2009. Trying to quit, he tried something new called "Chantix"...it caused him to act irrationally...enough where a neighbor shot/killed him.  This story received national attention. Nicest guy, but the drug cost him his life.

I believe the FDA formulation changed after this happened, but when you said you had vivid dreams, I had to respond in Carter's memory. Here's a WIKI about the incident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carter_Albrecht

@sidsmom. That is so sad and I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend.  There are still some serious side effects that can occur, but I am hopeful that it will work for me with no complications.  

Honored Contributor

@Trudey wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Trudey

Yay!!  It's a big step but you can do it!

I've written about Chantix before in this forum & I feel I must share my post I wrote in 2014:

When I read "Chantix", it makes me so, so sad. A friend of a friend of mine died that is Chantix related...I believe it created the legislation for the safer Chantix of today.

Carter Albrecht was a musician here in Dallas in 2009. Trying to quit, he tried something new called "Chantix"...it caused him to act irrationally...enough where a neighbor shot/killed him.  This story received national attention. Nicest guy, but the drug cost him his life.

I believe the FDA formulation changed after this happened, but when you said you had vivid dreams, I had to respond in Carter's memory. Here's a WIKI about the incident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carter_Albrecht

@sidsmom. That is so sad and I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend.  There are still some serious side effects that can occur, but I am hopeful that it will work for me with no complications.  

@Trudey

Thank you for your sentiments.

Sounds like you have an amazing support system w/ your husband going through the exact same thing.   Good luck...you're on the right track!

Contributor

Good luck Trudey - you can do it ! I had smoked for more than 40years and decided to quit using Chantix. I didn't experience any side effects other than a sour stomach if taken without a cracker or two. After 7 weeks on Chantix, I felt I could remain smoke free from that day on - that was 7 years ago. There are some risks with ALL medications, but for me it was worth taking on chance on what was responsible for my success. Good luck ........

Esteemed Contributor

@Trudey, another voice in your cheering section! I quit almost 30 years ago.  Just remember that it gets easier as time passes and there will come a day when the thought of lighting up will disgust you. It is wonderful that you and DH are doing it together, you can be there to prop each other up when the urge strikes. Please let us know how your days progress. Heart

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

I loved quitting on Chantix eight years ago.  

I didn't get the wierd dreams at all  Be aware that you may need to call for the second period refill and that it is different from the first dose because you don't deal with that gradual step up in dosage.

The main thing I liked was I didn't crave sweets which I really have to watch.  I had gotten some peppermint to have on hand to change the urge for wanting a cigarette and I don't think I used it!

I rewarded myself with putting some of that saved money in clothes!Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I always advise anyone wanting to quit to read this article...

http://www.terrydunkle.com/smoke.php

Also, google images of smokers' lungs vs. nonsmokers' lungs.

The shocking truth.

Good for you, for taking control of your health!

Respected Contributor

It's great to see that so many of you used Chantix with no problems.  I have felt no different today, but DH has slept off and on all day.  Hopefully, he's just tired and this isn't related to the Chantix.  He hates any type of medication, so it took some convincing to get him to try the Chantix.

Respected Contributor

I really have to quit, but the first time it was really difficult. I didn't use a drug. Now I'm reading how this drug helped you all. I don't like being hooked on cigarettes....  Maybe I can join you in your quest? 

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used Chantix to successfully quit 7 years ago, then started smoking again during a stressful time. Since it worked well (with MUCH effort on my own part), I tried it again. I stayed on it too long (over 5 months).

In addition to very vivid deams, which I actually enjoyed, I became very depressed. VERY, VERY depressed. At one point it made absolute sense intellectually to just burn down my house instead of having to clear out all the clutter I wanted to get rid of (there's not THAT much!). That's when I realized I had to get off the Chantix. I had to keep reminding myself that it was the drug speaking, not my true feelings. I'm still smoking but I'm gearing up to stop AGAIN. I won't be using Chantix again. Lifelong nonsmokers have no idea how difficult it is. 

I sincerely hope it will assist you in reaching your goal. It has worked for millions of people. Just listen to your inner voice and know if and when the time comes for you to quit taking it. With all the hope and well wishes for success, GOOD LUCK.