Respected Contributor

Started taking Chantix today...

Today is the first day of my journey to stop smoking.  I know that there are some serious side effects of Chantix, but I will watch it very closely and stop taking it if I begin to have any problems.  I decided to post my daily progress here with hopes that it will keep me accountible and help others who want to quit smoking and are considering using Chantix.

My husband and I are doing this together and we are going to watch each other for any behaviors that are not normal for us.  I am very positive that this is going to work for us as we are dedicated to quitting.  I have worked very hard to get my food issues under control, am exercising everyday, taking needed vitamins and supplements and just taking better care of my overall health.  Smoking is the last obstacle that I have to overcome.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Started taking Chantix today...

Good luck.  I used Chantix and had no problems.

Honored Contributor

Excellent decision- NEVER GIVE UP. Do one MINUTE at a time if you must. Visualize the"toy" you will buy yourself with ALL the money you won't be spending on something that is currently hurting you.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!

Contributor

I smoked for 43 years and quit 7 years ago using chantix. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@TrudeyI wish you and DH all kinds of good luck as you try Chantix --I'm not familiar with its dangers, but I do know the dangers of smoking because both my father and older brother suffered those consequences. 

I don't even know what aids were open to them besides my mother's nagging, so I hope the Chantix and your personal powers make the end happen.  Again, good luck to you and your whole family.

Honored Contributor

Good luck to you!  I quit smoking cold turkey 30 years ago and haven't had a cigarette since.  I'm sure I would have used something like Chantix if it had been available.

Now I can't even imagine myself smoking.  I really hope it works for you and your husband.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@millieshops. Thank you for your kindness and support.  My father (deceased) and my brother both suffered/suffer with congestive heart failure and both were/are lifetime smokers.  I really feel confident that I am going to beat this stupid addiction.

Respected Contributor

@NickNack. Thank you for your support and congratulations for remining a nonsmoker for so long.  You rock!

Honored Contributor

Good luck! I'm glad you're knowledgeable about the side effects and will monitor carefully. I hope you have great results and are able to quit smoking. Congratulations on taking the first step!
Honored Contributor

@Trudey

Yay!!  It's a big step but you can do it!

I've written about Chantix before in this forum & I feel I must share my post I wrote in 2014:

When I read "Chantix", it makes me so, so sad. A friend of a friend of mine died that is Chantix related...I believe it created the legislation for the safer Chantix of today.

Carter Albrecht was a musician here in Dallas in 2009. Trying to quit, he tried something new called "Chantix"...it caused him to act irrationally...enough where a neighbor shot/killed him.  This story received national attention. Nicest guy, but the drug cost him his life.

I believe the FDA formulation changed after this happened, but when you said you had vivid dreams, I had to respond in Carter's memory. Here's a WIKI about the incident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carter_Albrecht