Respected Contributor

I have needed LOTS of sleep for as long as I can remember! As a child I hated school because I had to get up early. I would sleep 18 hours on weekends, but never felt awake! One year, on a family vacation, my kids kept waking me up because I was snoring! I mentioned it to my doc who told me I needed to exercise more! I barely stayed awake until my kids went to bed, I could never have found time to exercise, unless I could sleep walk! 😉 I ended up changing doctors and my new doc set up a sleep study. The morning after the study the guy gave me an oral survey about how I slept. I told him once I got used to the probes in my hair I slept like a baby! He asked if I dreamt to which I said yes. Then he asked about what. I couldn't quite recall, but I was sure I had! He smiled and let me go. Well...turns out I stop breathing 69 times an hour! I also got 0 minutes of REM!  

I have been sleeping with a bi-pap machine for 15 years now. I'm a wee bit more rested, but after losing 60 pounds I had another study done. Obesity is a major cause of the apnea and tho I need to lose about 10 more pounds, I had hoped for the best.😬 Not to be!😞 I was the tiniest bit improved. I still stop breathing over 60 times per hour and get a little REM! I had really hoped to be good enough to give up machine. I worry I'll forget it on vacation, and had to move in with dd when our power went out for four days after a storm.  I an a dedicated user, tho. I don't even nap for 20 mins without using my machine. I need a full face mask which bites into my nose. If you use a full face mask, what type do you use? What about power outages? I'd love to share ideas with anyone else who has sleep apnea!😡💤💤💤💤💤

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

We live in a hurricane area in SW Florida so power outages over a long period of time would be an issue. We have an emergency generator that will run the fridge and 1 outlet that is in the kitchen so DH has bought one of those battery powered things like QVC sells so I could use it then we could plug it in to rechange at the outlet in the kitchen.

Super Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

I have needed LOTS of sleep for as long as I can remember! As a child I hated school because I had to get up early. I would sleep 18 hours on weekends, but never felt awake! One year, on a family vacation, my kids kept waking me up because I was snoring! I mentioned it to my doc who told me I needed to exercise more! I barely stayed awake until my kids went to bed, I could never have found time to exercise, unless I could sleep walk! 😉 I ended up changing doctors and my new doc set up a sleep study. The morning after the study the guy gave me an oral survey about how I slept. I told him once I got used to the probes in my hair I slept like a baby! He asked if I dreamt to which I said yes. Then he asked about what. I couldn't quite recall, but I was sure I had! He smiled and let me go. Well...turns out I stop breathing 69 times an hour! I also got 0 minutes of REM!  

I have been sleeping with a bi-pap machine for 15 years now. I'm a wee bit more rested, but after losing 60 pounds I had another study done. Obesity is a major cause of the apnea and tho I need to lose about 10 more pounds, I had hoped for the best.😬 Not to be!😞 I was the tiniest bit improved. I still stop breathing over 60 times per hour and get a little REM! I had really hoped to be good enough to give up machine. I worry I'll forget it on vacation, and had to move in with dd when our power went out for four days after a storm.  I an a dedicated user, tho. I don't even nap for 20 mins without using my machine. I need a full face mask which bites into my nose. If you use a full face mask, what type do you use? What about power outages? I'd love to share ideas with anyone else who has sleep apnea!😡💤💤💤💤💤

Hi jewelwisher..my husband users a c pap and hated the full face mask for the same reasons you do, so he and his dr. found one that fit him perfectly which is the kind that covers the nostrils and has the flexible straps going behind the head. He didn't think that would be at all comfortable, but he loves it and says it is so comfortable. He had tried three different types before that one. There is such a difference in his quality and amount of rem sleep he gets nowadays. The sleep dr. also had said his sleep apnea was so bad he got him the machine asap. We rarely get power outages where we are, but what about a generator? A friend of ours is on a respirator and has to have one just in case.

Hope this helps and good luck! 

Respected Contributor

I'm a new user of a cpap machine.  Like you, I stopped breathing 68 times per hour, and my oxygen levels would dip down to 67.  Those low oxygen levels eventually lead to organ failure.  I was having trouble with high blood pressure, palpitations, fast heart rate, exhaustion.  I felt like crude.  My symptoms were so bad that the pulmonologist bypassed the formal sleep study, performed a quick at-home test, and gave me a machine very quickly.  I love my cpap and feel like a new person.  I have the newest version, a ResMed 10, and use the full face mask Air Fit 10 because I am a mouth breather.  At first I didn't like the feel of the rubber mask on my face, so I bought the Silent Night Comfort Seal Liner and it makes a big difference.  Helps with air leaks also.

They are a bit pricey, so I make one last about 3 weeks.

If your mask bites into your nose you probably should try another one.  The business I got my machine from has a bunch of masks which you can try on.  Insurance will authorize a new one every 3 months.

Trusted Contributor

My situation was comparable to yours.  I sleep with my C-PAP every night and during the occassional nap (for over eight years).  I use a mask that covers the nose only and straps on to the head along with extra long tubing as I am not a stationary sleeper.  My RESMED has the chamber for adding water for which helps tremendously with dryness; I also run humidifier as I sleep which helps signficantly.  Whenever I travel, overnight or longer, the C-PAP goes with me.  I'm sure that everyone remembers to do this, but don't forget to clean the C-PAP often. 

Valued Contributor

I've been using a CPAP for 10 plus years but at a very low setting. Just got a new machine last year - resmed airsense.  

I used it EVERY night and for all naps.  My mask is a Mirage Quattro  - very old style but continues to work the best for me. It's full face as I have a ton of allergies and having it cover both my mouth and nose helps filter out allergens. 

I did try a newer style mask, but it kept slipping. The biggest issue seems to be that the local medical supply company has been very frustrating to use. 

Respected Contributor

I used the Quattro for years. At my last study the company who tested also started selling supplies. They fit me with one of their full face masks which was much more comfortable! When I tried to get a new one the company no longer sells supplies and am no looking for another mask. I'm also having trouble as I just got switched to Medicare from Blue Cross. Trying to get them to ok equipment is hard and my stuff is on its last leg!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Trusted Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

I used the Quattro for years. At my last study the company who tested also started selling supplies. They fit me with one of their full face masks which was much more comfortable! When I tried to get a new one the company no longer sells supplies and am no looking for another mask. I'm also having trouble as I just got switched to Medicare from Blue Cross. Trying to get them to ok equipment is hard and my stuff is on its last leg!

A possible suggestion:  If your sleep doctor will write you a new prescription for the kind of mask you like, then you can take the prescription to a Durable Medical Equipment supplier who can supply that kind, and they should bill Medicare and it shouldn't cause any trouble as long as you get a new prescription.  There are DME companies on line, too,  if you get desperate and can't find a local one.

However, there is a schedule that Medicare sticks to as to when they will pay for new equipment, such as they will pay for a new mask every three months, a new water chamber every 6 months, etc.  The CPAP machine itself can get replaced every 3 to 5 years, don't know what the criteria is for Medicare to purchase a new machine in 3 years or making a patient wait until 5 years.

But I sure do wish you good luck.  It is soooooo frustrating dealing with DME suppliers and Medicare!!  I don't understand why it should be, but it is.

I am a new user, only 1 year, use a Bi-Pap machine, I have very high levels - 21 inhale, 17 exhale.  My main complaint was mask leakage, as I need the full face mask.  I did some research online and found "Silent Night" face mask liners.  A bit expensive, but helps tremendously to make my mask more comfortable and it reduces the air leaks by 90%.

Respected Contributor

I have been using a CPAP for 5 years now and I sleep very well. I am ready for a new machine. I use the nasal pillows which work well for me. I also have a humidifier. I have lost 52 pounds and I don't think it has made a difference in my sleep apnea but I have not had a sleep study.