Valued Contributor

Re: Seeing a therapist/psychologist today

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

I think most therapists will ask the question you mentioned. Maybe she forgot to in your first session and was something she didn't want to forget to ask.  With suicide being on the rise, I think more and more that question is being asked if only for the therapists peace of mind.

If she repeatedly looks at her clock next time...I would mention the fact that it bothered me and see what she says or does.  She should not take offense at that.  

@jubilant

She did say she was running late that day and still had an appointment after mine.  So unless I see that she does this on a constant basis, I may say something to her.  Or I may buy a timer and set it when she comes and put it on the coffee table.  Hopefully she won't take offense at that.  If she does, she may not be the therapist for me.

Thank you for your kind response.

With all due respect @LilacTree the timer idea sounds like game playing. If you play games you may not be the patient for her or any other therapist.

Therapists aren't mind readers. Ask her or say so if something bugs you. 

I hope things work out. Smiley Happy Therapy can be great as long as both parties are willing open and honest.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree wrote:

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

How exciting you are such a gorgeous lady.  Even though people here have said I never listen to any advice by them or doctors or etc YES therapy can help as I started at 18 since my mother was diagnosed with MS when I was 14 and the mess with her husband which had no love for me for so many years maybe the last 6 years of his life after they divorced he and I became closer but it does help and it can give you things to think about in different ways and it can be comforting.  As in the years 20 off and on I did see a therapist and at times I was sitting in the room and some of them were crazy and I got up and left but many are very caring and I had three that were so so helpful but they are not practicing any longer and now they give you social workers which I like better the real doctors but I think it will be good for you as I have kept journals from mine that I loved and it still helps me today.  But at times life is just hard and nothing seems to help but time.  Best to you and let us know what you thought of your time with them.

@DowntonAbbey

Oddly, the only other time I had sat with a psychologist was years ago when I had a side business doing tape transcription.  He was a "client" of mine.  He would ask probing questions from time to time that I just ignored.  Then one evening, out of the blue, he jumped out of his chair and sat next to me and put his arm around me and said he really wanted to know more about me.  Like you, I quickly pushed him away, grabbed my stuff and left! 

Ever since then, I have not thought highly of therapists.  I like this woman, she's been doing it for many years, and I am hopeful we can establish a friendly professional relationship where I feel I can be totally honest with her.  If I can't, there would be no point in continuing.  I will be seeing her on Monday this coming week.

I will keep you posted without divulging too much personal information.  I'm looking for "tools" to deal with various family dynamics.  I am happy to hear it helped you.   

You denounced all therapists after knowing one bizarre creep.

Maybe you're going into therapy with a prejudging chip on your shoulder. jmho.

Honored Contributor

@spindlegirl wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

I think most therapists will ask the question you mentioned. Maybe she forgot to in your first session and was something she didn't want to forget to ask.  With suicide being on the rise, I think more and more that question is being asked if only for the therapists peace of mind.

If she repeatedly looks at her clock next time...I would mention the fact that it bothered me and see what she says or does.  She should not take offense at that.  

@jubilant

She did say she was running late that day and still had an appointment after mine.  So unless I see that she does this on a constant basis, I may say something to her.  Or I may buy a timer and set it when she comes and put it on the coffee table.  Hopefully she won't take offense at that.  If she does, she may not be the therapist for me.

Thank you for your kind response.

With all due respect @LilacTree the timer idea sounds like game playing. If you play games you may not be the patient for her or any other therapist.

Therapists aren't mind readers. Ask her or say so if something bugs you. 

I hope things work out. Smiley Happy Therapy can be great as long as both parties are willing open and honest.

@spindlegirl

You're right of course.  I was just kidding, I really wouldn't do that.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Since she was 'running late', I have a feeling that she was pre-occupied, thinking of several of her patients who perhaps don't have much patience at all.  That can be a major problem for a doctor/therapist, I'm guessing/thinking.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Hi LilacTree. I'm glad to learn you are feeling better about your therapist. I just wanted to piggyback on comments by others about the suicide question you were asked. This is a common and important question that mental health professionals ask. I don't see a therapist, I see a psychiatrist for severe depression and I take an anti-depressant which has alleviated almost all my symptoms. I also have anxiety disorder and I have a medication for that to take, if needed. Fortunately, the anti-depressant also helps my anxiety so I rarely need to take this. I spent most of my life caring for two parents that were completely paralyzed, from strokes and I can understand the constant worry we go through when dealing with the ill health of a loved one.