Honored Contributor

Seeing a therapist/psychologist today

There is another thread I posted about my Lyme disease daughter that has just gotten too long, so I continue here.

First time in my life I am seeing a therapist and I am 79 years old (as of a few days ago).  She is coming here to my apartment.  I didn't realize any of them did that, but am grateful for it.

Just wondering if any of you have ever been really helped by a therapist.  I don't want it to be a rant session, and then someone tells me I'm in a toxic situation and should get out of it.  That would be so unhelpful.

I'm going tell her to ask me questions and I will answer them.  I have no idea what to expect.  I really want someone who can give me tools to deal with my situation, not who's wrong and who's right, because there are no bad guys here, just a family under stress. 

My chronic Lyme disease daughter is also starting a new protocol today with new doctors.  I have hopes.

Haven't been on the BB in a few days.  I have another UTI and respiratory infection.  I have a feeling my immune system is disappearing.  This is the second time around in one month with these two infections.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

Re: Seeing a therapist/psychologist today

Good morning, @LilacTree

Wishing you all the best with your visit with the therapist/psychologist.

belated birthday.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree Every therapy session is different and different therapist work in different ways, tell the therapist what you hope to gain by the sessions, let he/she know this is something you have never done and you do not know what to expect, and take it from there.

And do not feel guilty if a therapist does not work out personally for you, I went through a handful before I found the exact one that was right for me, I used to leave some sessions feeling beat up and worse than when I entered, therapy is NEVER supposed to feel like you are being judged, be honest, and talk from your heart, and listen.

I pray that you find comfort and peace, and please know you are not alone, people do care!

Frequent Contributor

Depends on your attitude going in.  "Therapy" is holding a mirror up to one's self and surrendering to taking a good, long and hard, honest look.  And committing to do all the hard work that follows.  Starting off with "I'm going to tell her to"...well, good luck.

Trusted Contributor

@LilacTree Big hugs to you and by the way you are a beautiful lady! If I may say an unbiased outsider like a phycologist is a great idea. (With this illness I have had to do that myself) Is nice to be able to talk things out with a person experienced and with tools in these areas.. I found. No expectations, no practicing just let it flow and be the wonderful natural you that you are! I hope you feel better soon and I send you love, light and my best wishes for you and your daughter. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Like most people, I have experienced more than a few really very, very difficult times in my life, when I didn't think I could cope with things any longer.  I was really despondent.

Three times I sought out the help of a professional, twice when I was younger in my twenties, and then once when I was around 50.  (I'm 69 now.)

I tried this route at the advice of friends, but I have to say in looking back, that I really didn't get much at all from the experience.  Maybe it was me, maybe I just linked up with the wrong "therapist", who knows?

I know I had friends who had very positive experiences and relied a great deal upon their therapists.

I just know that it really didn't work for me. 

If you are reaching out to one, then that means it's something that you must do at this point, and it could really be beneficial to you.

Honored Contributor

@PrettyGerl wrote:

Depends on your attitude going in.  "Therapy" is holding a mirror up to one's self and surrendering to taking a good, long and hard, honest look.  And committing to do all the hard work that follows.  Starting off with "I'm going to tell her to"...well, good luck.

@PrettyGerl

I'm going to do my best to be a good patient.  I really meant to say "I'll ask her . . . " but my grammar background got in the way and I didn't want two "asks" in a row.  Didn't think that was already a mirror into my character.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

Sorry to those of you who said kind words.  But I'm not going to go further with this post.  I can see the way it's going to go and I just don't need that right now.  I will not be reading anything further either.

Yes, I'm running away today . . . hopefully that provides great pleasure to those of you who just love to kick someone when she is already down.

Formerly Ford1224
Trusted Contributor

Please I hope you read one More! You said you have had 2 UTI in this past month. If you haven't you need to go to a Dr. for an antibiotic. Thats the only way this will clear up. I know how painful they are. Go to the Dr.