Contributor

Second Thoracentesis in One Month

First off, I really just want to vent and, yes, whine a bit. I have been ill for the past three years with one major problem after another. Last year it was 16 days in the hospital almost dying three times and having two of the doctors tell me later they were sure they would not be able to save my life. Now this year 10 more days in the hospital. I am so sick of being sick... there - I think my pity party is over for now, I just needed to vent. I know I am lucky and there are many of you in much worse shape than I am.

I am just wondering in anyone else out there has experienced any of my most recent symptoms.

The first draining of a pleural effusion on my right lung came up to 2 litres, yes, like a two litre soda bottle... Friday I ended up with a second draining of another pleural effunsion, again on my right lung, but this one was only 1 and a half litres.

The first pleural fluid ended up being 76% eosinophils. Monday I will find out the results of the second pleural fluid. I was a bit startled by the eosinophils in the fluid but I do have eosinophilic esophagitis that comes and goes but will never be cured. Eosinophils are the 'crazy cousins' in your white blood cells. They are not good fighters like regular white blood cells

I just spent 10 days in the hospital in June while they are trying to figure out what the problem is. I have both a hematology team and a pulmonary team that have been trying to figure this out. I was told Thursday that my case is a 'puzzle' and my pulmonologist plans on contacting pulmonologists outside of Minnesota. So far two different diseases have been looked at, Sarcoidosis (Comedian Bernie Mac died from this) and Churg-Strauss Syndrome.

So now I am on prednisone in hopes it will keep my lungs clear. But it is a double-edged sword as it has sent my blood sugars sky high (one reading was 399). That really irks me as my sugars not only had been great but I was running too low and had to keep adjusting my insulin down. Now I have been trying to adjust the insulin up as I feel sick when the blood sugars are so high.

Dang... My breathing has been so difficult with all this fluid on my right lung and this heat and humidity do not help. Last Tuesday, July 19, Minneapolis MN was the hottest place in the WORLD due to our heat index (combination of temperature and humidity). Our A/C just kept going and going but I would not have been able to breathe at all without it...

Thanks for reading this novel and, if you believe in prayer, could you please send one for me??? Linda in MN