Honored Contributor

Re: Sciatica for 2 weeks, finally today I am out of pain

@violann

As I said in my other post, I have had lots of experience with my lumbar area. From my many miles of running training and racing, I also had my bouts with ITBS. Most of that experience with ITBS, was years before anything was known about.

I found, on my own, specific stretching exercises that worked very well for me to keep that problem under control. And also through keeping a very specific running diary, I also found what NOT TO DO to help prevent issues with the iliotibial band.

I never had or found any connection between my ITBS and lumbar problems. My late friend was a Chiropractor and I can tell me how many times he called me about my stretches for the iliotibial band. He had many patients with ITBS, which was a direct connection to the Tensor Facia Lata. These exercises worked for a majority of his patients, and also for my running friends.

Different things work for different people for sure when it comes to spinal issues. I however found that the majority of those that had ITBS responded well to the stretches I discovered years before I ever heard the words ITBS.

I too know all to well the limitations that serious spinal issues put on a person's ability to even function, in everyday normal functions. I remember rolling out of bed/onto my knees to get to the bathroom. And my, now wife, having to help me get my socks on my feet.

ITBS to me was more a nuisance than a debilitating pain. It did effect my running and that is why I kept improvising my own ways of stretching to find the solution for that specific problem.

I hope things keep going well for you.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

2 years ago I asked to go to a pain clinic for my legs were hurting bad. He moved my toes and the next time he put something in my back which I do not knows Said later  go have a mri. Couldn't do anything for me. I went to a spinal surgeon and had a operation for my stenosis. Went to rehab after. I seemed ok but now I feel some pain in the hip and once in awhile the legs. I was told arthritis was the cause.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut- couldn't agree more. 

My problem started the minute I lugged a bass viol up a flight of stairs leaning on my left hip, while using my right hip to balance.

Within a week, I knew I had done something awful. Apparently, it was the combination of ITBS AND Piriformus Syndrome.

I count myself very lucky that the ultimate relief I got was as fast and permanent as it was.

Respected Contributor

I have a history of a torn L4 and a herinated L5. I have had sciatica many times but this time was really bad. I am still going for a MRI next week. 

Honored Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I have a history of a torn L4 and a herinated L5. I have had sciatica many times but this time was really bad. I am still going for a MRI next week. 

@conlt

From my own spinal history, I know that when the L-5 and the S-1 are the problem, sciatica is pretty much a given. While the L-4 is also involved in sciatica, the combination of herniated, or in my case, completely ruptured L-5/S-1, the Sciatic Nerve is involved all the way from the butt muscles to the bottom of the foot.

Sounds like you have already had an MRI sometime in the past that diagnosed your torn L-4 and herniated L-5. If that has been a long time back, I know my friend the Spinal Surgeon would want an up to date MRI.

Not only are the MRI machines better than in years past, but a lot of spinal changes can occur since your last MRI.

Hope all works out well for you.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I went back to the massage therapist yesterday and I even feel better today. She again worked on releasing the sciatic nerve from the tight muscle. I am totally amazed how the massage is working for me. I have suffered for years off and on with sciatica and never had these kinds of results from anything I have ever tried. 

Honored Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I went back to the massage therapist yesterday and I even feel better today. She again worked on releasing the sciatic nerve from the tight muscle. I am totally amazed how the massage is working for me. I have suffered for years off and on with sciatica and never had these kinds of results from anything I have ever tried. 

Glad it's working for you. I have an appt in 10 days for f/u after my MRI and will discuss PT with my doctor. I don't know if Medicare is more likely to balk at PT than the quick fix of an injection. Hmmm....

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I can't say enough for stretching. I do them after a hot bath every night of my life before I go to bed.  I have been doing this for many years and it has kept my sciatic problems in check.  It all started with a wonderful exercise book called Callenectics by Callen Pinkney.  I have added a few to it that a physical therapist suggested.  In Callen Pinkney's book she tells you which of her exercises to avoid (or make adjustments to).....if you have sciatic problems.

Trusted Contributor

I have experienced Sciatica on my right side  along with constant numbness in my right leg - all summer long.

I have a MRI this Tuesday - Thank Goodness.  

The larger issue is I am afraid of walking and falling.  Since I fell almost 2 years ago I developed this VERY intense fear of falling.  I used to walk 5 miles a day - and LOVED IT.  I had low blood pressure, my A1C was low and I had stomach muscles too.

I have also been scheduled for PT too.  

Honored Contributor

@sktchy wrote:

I have experienced Sciatica on my right side  along with constant numbness in my right leg - all summer long.

I have a MRI this Tuesday - Thank Goodness.  

The larger issue is I am afraid of walking and falling.  Since I fell almost 2 years ago I developed this VERY intense fear of falling.  I used to walk 5 miles a day - and LOVED IT.  I had low blood pressure, my A1C was low and I had stomach muscles too.

I have also been scheduled for PT too.  

@sktchy, I totally understand your fear of falling. My fear is not related to my sciatica, but because I've had 2-3 very bad, very painful trip-and-falls over the years. I also have arthritis in all joints from the knees on down, and the stiffness and occasional weebly-wobbly in my ankles can make me extra-extra cautious and slow. 

I have moved to a beautiful area and wanted to start doing some walks by the ocean, but then my sciatica decided to reappear 2 months ago and I've had to sit out doing several things I wanted to do.

Maybe PT will help me enough that an injection won't be needed. I have to wait another week to talk to my doctor re MRI results.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all