Honored Contributor

Re: Safe and Best Anti-Depression Drugs

@moon_gazer

Loss is loss

Mine has been a chemical depression in the past... meaning once a downward spiral starts, it can go downward and so on.

I asked to see a psych twice in my life... both highly respected and accredited by the AMA.

Once, when I was mid-30ish, a crisis with my mom was unbearable The OLD, very long in practice doctor tried rx's. Back then, Prozac was new. I could not bear the side-effects. Through him we got the right one.

A few years ago, I asked to see a psych again due to migraines that I thought I was causing to myself. My psych is not a "talky-type." He is an excellent chemist.

And he chose the perfect one FOR ME.

Before I saw the second guy, I tried a supplement. I CERTAINLY DO NOT ADVISE THIS IDEA. 

Not to scare anyone, but side effects on the wrong type can be scary -- so keep your doctor informed every step of the way.

i wish anyone here with "the blues" or "anxiety" to not be afraid to check this out with your doctor.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@Piperdellilah wrote:

" there is a difference between situational depression and clinical depression."  

@Piperdellilah

I edited your post to emphasize your point.

I have been diagnosed with Clinical Depression and Panic/Anxiety Disorder. I have no intention of going off my medications. Also have no intention of ever quitting my regular consultations with my Psychiatrist. Those I see as the most important thing in my life. 

Without them, I probably would have no life so why risk it. Anyone that has been diagnosed and hospitalized with Clinical Depression, understands the importance of this, and realizing, they are in recovery and I personally feel, that will be for the rest of my life.

Most everyone will experience situational low points in their lives, but all of these do not necessarily fall under the mental definition or depression. True Clinical Depression, from my experience and that of my Psychiatrist, does not "come and go", or on meds and off meds.

I appreciate you clarifying to many that go through many terrible experiences in their lives, and that all of those hard times, are not necessarily Clinical Depression.

Thank you,

hckynut(john)

Thank you @hckynut, very well said.  i enjoy reading your posts. Nicole

Regular Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Piperdellilah wrote:

" there is a difference between situational depression and clinical depression."  

@Piperdellilah

I edited your post to emphasize your point.

I have been diagnosed with Clinical Depression and Panic/Anxiety Disorder. I have no intention of going off my medications. Also have no intention of ever quitting my regular consultations with my Psychiatrist. Those I see as the most important thing in my life. 

Without them, I probably would have no life so why risk it. Anyone that has been diagnosed and hospitalized with Clinical Depression, understands the importance of this, and realizing, they are in recovery and I personally feel, that will be for the rest of my life.

Most everyone will experience situational low points in their lives, but all of these do not necessarily fall under the mental definition or depression. True Clinical Depression, from my experience and that of my Psychiatrist, does not "come and go", or on meds and off meds.

I appreciate you clarifying to many that go through many terrible experiences in their lives, and that all of those hard times, are not necessarily Clinical Depression.

Thank you,

hckynut(john)

Thank you @hckynut, very well said.  I really enjoy reading your posts. Nicole

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@moon_gazer wrote:

My doctor has suggested I try Lexapro for the bouts of depression I experience. I don't like the idea of taking an anti-depressant. I've read horrible things about these drugs. I would really like to hear from those who have tried this drug and had good results. I know everyone is different and what works for one may not for the next, but, it would give me some idea of what I should do.   

do you like being depressed better?

I agree with the other poster here some on this board are very anti RX meds for whatever reason. 

Best to talk to your Dr about this and not rely Dr. Internet.

as for you you should do,  either take the meds or not but but your Dr. can help you figure that out, he probably has some samples to try

"....samples to try..."?  

Srsly?

Anti-depressants shouldn't be treated like aspirin. If a doctor threw me a couple of free packets of SSRI, wow....I would run, RUN, out of their office.  If they're that casual w/ this dangerous drug, I cringe what else is acceptable to them.  

OP: I agree w/ those upthread. Check w/ your doctor...but leave no stone unturned to handle this naturally.  Read, study, learn about depression.  Be TOTALLY educated before going to the doctor.   Know the differences between going through a difficult time vs serious mental condition.   I would assume the latter would be diagnosed by a doctor in mental health care & not a GP.  

Many criticize when I bring up Nutritional therapy, but when you're dealing w/ mood-altering drugs, food/drink has the same capacity.  During the extended times when I felt depressed/blue/off, it was married during the same time my diet wasn't good (fatty, meat/cheese/eggs).   Once I cleaned up my food source, it lifted the cloud. Those days are long gone. 

If you don't like the idea of taking an anti-depressant, honor that feeling.  Exhaust every single natural therapy (including talking to a mental health professional) before taking something which chemically alters your mind.  Anti-depressants should be the very last resort.  Any doctor, any ethical doctor, would say that. 

if your Dr. gave you samples of any drug provided by the manufacturer you would run of the office, for Diabetes or Heart Disease? 

@jackthebear

1. I don't have diabetes or heart disease, so that would never happen.

2. If I DID have those conditions, I would have the common sense to refuse medication since diabetes & heart disease can be reverse with nutrition & lifestyle... but I'm guessing you probably already know that.

3. To give SSRI medication to a new patient 'to see if it works' reminds me of a street drug dealer giving the user a 'freebie' 1-2x to get them hooked for life.  

😳😳😳

Super Contributor

@junera wrote:

I am not sure why doctors are using anti-depressant drugs so often...we all have difficult life experiences and coping is what life is.  Within two years I lost my mother, my husband, and sister and three of my dogs!  I had to sell my home.  Yes, there were tears and sadness but I would find ways to see the positives and reasons to smile.  All I am saying is do not rely on one doctor to prescribe a magic pill...get emotional support from other sources.  life is a problem and this is the test of it...he is the wisest who just makes the best of it.  

I am glad for you that you were able to find ways to see the positives and had reasons to smile without having to take anything. You obviously don't understand that that doesn't work for everyone. Believe me, I have tried. It's not that I want to take ANY kind of drug, but, for me trying to see the positives and finding reasons to smile just isn't doing it.

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Esteemed Contributor

@moon_gazer  I am so incredibly sorry for your many losses.  As a mother, I can only imagine the pain of losing a child.  Surely that pain never goes away.

I'm not here to lecture; I simply want to answer your question and provide my input.  

I'm on Lexapro -- low dose, only 10 mg. per day.  It has helped with my moodiness and just seems to "take the edge off".  I find I don't worry about things as intensely as I used to and I'm nowhere near as emotional.  Prior to Lexapro, I would cry EVERY SINGLE DAY over one thing or another.  I'm no longer an emotional wreck and don't cry daily.  

I suffer no side effects so, for me, this medication has been a great help.

Hoping you find something to help you deal with your stress.  Life can just be so difficult at times.  

Valued Contributor

@moon_gazer
There is a test that can determine the psych drugs best tolerated. My friend's husband had this done a few weeks ago by a psychiatrist. I don't know how widely known it it is. He understands it is only done by psychiatrists and he had to wait for a specific person in the office to get it done. Worth asking.

Super Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@moon_gazer  I am so incredibly sorry for your many losses.  As a mother, I can only imagine the pain of losing a child.  Surely that pain never goes away.

I'm not here to lecture; I simply want to answer your question and provide my input.  

I'm on Lexapro -- low dose, only 10 mg. per day.  It has helped with my moodiness and just seems to "take the edge off".  I find I don't worry about things as intensely as I used to and I'm nowhere near as emotional.  Prior to Lexapro, I would cry EVERY SINGLE DAY over one thing or another.  I'm no longer an emotional wreck and don't cry daily.  

I suffer no side effects so, for me, this medication has been a great help.

Hoping you find something to help you deal with your stress.  Life can just be so difficult at times.  

@Citrine1 

Thank you for this. You got me at crying EVERY SINGLE DAY. Yes, that would be me - emotional wreck. I just don't want to be this way anymore. I'm tired of feeling sad and lonely when I am by myself and even in a crowd of people. That sadness is always just below the surface. It gives me hope to hear of your good results. 

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Esteemed Contributor

@moon_gazer Thank you for your reply.  To know that I've given you hope truly touches me.  I sincerely wish you the best of luck and hope that you will update us on your progress should you decide to go ahead with this (or any) medication.  

Again, my best to you.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for posting this - this definitely hits home for me, too!  In so many ways.  Hugs to all who are going through a tough time.  And if I could just "look at the good side of things or be grateful" yes, wouldn't that be the best option?  Unfortunately, it's not that easy.  Prayer, walks, a good therapist, a caring doctor who listens and prescribes accordingly and good friends/family around you are the best!