Super Contributor

Safe and Best Anti-Depression Drugs

My doctor has suggested I try Lexapro for the bouts of depression I experience. I don't like the idea of taking an anti-depressant. I've read horrible things about these drugs. I would really like to hear from those who have tried this drug and had good results. I know everyone is different and what works for one may not for the next, but, it would give me some idea of what I should do.   

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Respected Contributor

Re: Safe and Best Anti-Depression Drugs

I would follow your physician's advice.  As you said everyone will react differently to different antidepressants.  If this one does not work for you, he can prescribe something else.  I believe they start you off on ones that are of lesser strength.  It's all about how your body reacts. 

Honored Contributor

I've never anti-depressants myself, but I wouldn't take them unless you're being monitored regularly by a psychiatrist. They should see you every week or two at the beginning and then monthly and eventually every three months to monitor side effects.  

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I have a friend who has taken Zoloft for years, and it changed her life, for the better.I'm no doctor but it seems like it is worth a try, if it improves your quality of life.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Lexapro is usually pretty easy for people to take. As long as you start on a low dose, you shouldn't have anything too drastic as far as side effects. Of course, as noted, everyone is different. 

Good luck. Hope it makes you feel better. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@moon_gazer wrote:

My doctor has suggested I try Lexapro for the bouts of depression I experience. I don't like the idea of taking an anti-depressant. I've read horrible things about these drugs. I would really like to hear from those who have tried this drug and had good results. I know everyone is different and what works for one may not for the next, but, it would give me some idea of what I should do.   

My dr. tried me on prozac first and I had severe side effects from that (horrible nightmares, brain zaps and paralysis) and I  immediately reported them to my dr. who took me off. She then put me on cymbalta. I also had side effects from that (itching everywhere),so she took me off of that too. I'm now on lexapro with no side effects and I feel better. I was very afraid of trying another anti depressant as I had not had good luck with the other two, but my husband has noticed a change in my demeanor also. He says I seem more out going at times. I'm on a very low dose.

I do notice my libido has diminished more than ever though and I've heard anti depressants will do that. 

Good luck to you and I hope you feel better soon. Just think ... if you don't like taking the lexapro, you don't have to continue, but, what have you got to lose?

Honored Contributor

@moon_gazer

Addressing (thread title only). There is no best Anti-Depression Drug. As you said in your thread, "everyone is different".  Safe? Depends.

If you trust your doctor, I suggest you follow those plans. You can read "horrible things" about a lot of medications and medical procedures. Does that make them true? Not in my book, or plenty of my own personal life experiences.

I have been taking 3 medications since the mid 1990's for diagnosed Clinical Depression and Panic/ Anxiety Attacks.  They are still working for me a no "terrible things" to report.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I don't want to come off as sounding rude and nasty, but nobody here is a good resource. The only people whose opinion you should trust is a physician-preferably psychiatrist.

A psychiatrist is a medical doctor first and foremost: there can be underlying physical issues that contribute to depression.

They have the ability to weed out what might be symptoms of physical problems, vs. psychological issues.  They are highly trained in pharmacology.

When I studied pharmacology years ago, one of the first things I learned is that all drugs can have unforseen potential side effects. Period.

Does that mean we shouldn't take them? No. It's always a question of benefits outweighs risks and starting at the lowest possible dose to achieve the desired effect.

We are putting the cart before the horse on this one however: supportive therapy and counseling may actually be what you need- but a psychiatrist is the one with the expertise to help you achieve your mental health goals.

If you don't know where to begin, why don't you make an appointment with your primary physician?  Thanks to insurance or lack thereof, many have had to fill the role of psychiatrists to some degree. They still have far more training than anybody here.

I wish you well,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

I have been on medications since 1991, started with paxil, then zoloft, cimbalta, have been on venlafaxine,and trazodone for many years , no trouble with any of those,except some i use to take stopped working for me.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@moon_gazer wrote:

do you like being depressed better?

I agree with the other poster here some on this board are very anti RX meds for whatever reason. 

Best to talk to your Dr about this and not rely Dr. Internet.

as for you you should do,  either take the meds or not but but your Dr. can help you figure that out, he probably has some samples to try