Honored Contributor

I do use AZO as soon as a UTI starts and also find it very helpful.  It is like the old fashioned pyridium and does work fast.  However, it doesn't cure the UTI, just lessens the symptoms, as has been said. 

The first med the doc put me on was macrobid, two a day for seven days.  I got really sick after the fourth capsule and called the doc.  However, it seemed as though the UTI was gone.  But not two weeks later it came back.  She then gave me bactrim and that has seemed to work, but I don't trust it not to come back.

Yesterday her office called me and said the labs finally came back from the first UTI and she thinks I am on the wrong kind of bactrim.  Now I wait and see if it comes back again.  If it does, I'll probably have to provide another sample and in the meantime take AZO until she finds out what kind of bacteria I keep getting.

I've always had UTIs, but they have never been so hard to diagnose and cure before.  I attribute it to my age and minimal immune response.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Re: Regarding AZO for UTIs

[ Edited ]

Hi, I needed to take prophylactic antibiotics at 3 months at a time. It really helped because I was getting frequent infections with klebsiella pneumonia. Like yourself, I think it is a weakened immune system.

Happy Belated Birthday!!! Hope after you feel a little better you and your girls can celebrate.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Hi, I needed to take prophylactic antibiotics at 3 months at a time. It really helped because I was getting frequent infections with klebsiella pneumonia. Like yourself, I think it is a weakened immune system.

Happy Belated Birthday!!! Hope after you feel a little better you and your girls can celebrate.

@Trinity11

My LBI daughter (the one who got flooded out last night by the nor'easter) . . . anyway, her teenage daughter was treated as you indicated you were.  Smaller doses every day for several months.  She has been fine since, but then she is 17 and healthy otherwise.  I would be willing to try that.

Thanks for the HB wishes!!  I'm not looking forward to the next one, LOL.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

@LilacTree  Hi - I can relate to UTIs, since I've had my share too.  I came down with one yesterday.  I went to the doctor and he put me on Cipro.  I like you have got sick from Macrobid in the past.  I have never heard of AZO.  I am waiting to hear the results of the culture to see what kind of bacteria has caused the infection this time.  I hope I don't have to change medications. 

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Trinity11

My LBI daughter (the one who got flooded out last night by the nor'easter) . . . anyway, her teenage daughter was treated as you indicated you were.  Smaller doses every day for several months.  She has been fine since, but then she is 17 and healthy otherwise.  I would be willing to try that.

Really sorry she was flooded out. It was very bad here and I worried about losing heat. 

I think the RA affects our immune system...we just need to take it day by day.Woman Happy

Super Contributor

I get them frequently too. The last one I had took 3 rounds of antibiotic to get rid of. I can't take Bactrim. I had a bad reaction to it once. They are very frustrating!

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Super Contributor

Hi @liliactree 

have you tried D- mannose?  It's available at most healthfood stores .  It is used in third world countries  where antibiotics are unavailable and too costly .   It's a natural remedy and works as a preventative as well as a treatment .   I have had great success using it .

Look it up there's a lot of information out there on it .

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Trinity11

Really sorry she was flooded out. It was very bad here and I worried about losing heat. 

I think the RA affects our immune system...we just need to take it day by day.:womanhappy:

@Trinity11

Oh, no doubt about that.  That's it's main objective . . . to just destroy all of our systems, inside and out, and also invite other immune diseases to play with.  I have at least five.  Even though the pain is continuous (except when I'm in bed) the symptom that is most frustrating is the constant fatigue.  I don't have good days and bad days, every day is the same.

If my back goes out, that makes it a bad day, or these infections, or digestive system issues, all of which "add to" not replace.  I have so much empathy for you and anyone else who has this frustrating disease.

As far as the storm, my daughter is going to send me photos of the street in front of her apartment.  I truly don't know how much longer she is going to be able to live there.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@Gsmom wrote:

@Hi @liliactree 

have you tried D- mannose?  It's available at most healthfood stores .  It is used in third world countries  where antibiotics are unavailable and too costly .   It's a natural remedy and works as a preventative as well as a treatment .   I have had great success using it .

Look it up there's a lot of information out there on it .

@Gsmom

I will!  Thanks!

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

Re: Regarding AZO for UTIs

[ Edited ]

@katte wrote:

@LilacTree  Hi - I can relate to UTIs, since I've had my share too.  I came down with one yesterday.  I went to the doctor and he put me on Cipro.  I like you have got sick from Macrobid in the past.  I have never heard of AZO.  I am waiting to hear the results of the culture to see what kind of bacteria has caused the infection this time.  I hope I don't have to change medications. 

@katte

The only thing about AZO is, like pyridium, it stains and there's no way to get the stain out, so one has to be very careful in the bathroom when on it.  If you don't already, use protective pads, or the AZO will stain (and ruin) all of your underwear.

Formerly Ford1224