Super Contributor

Radiation therapy to lung

[ Edited ]

My hubby needs to get radiation therapy to a small spot in his lung, which is metastized melanoma. 

I am aware of the possible side effects, but personal experiences are always better. Has anyone gotten radiation to the lung, and how did it go for you?  any encouragement?  

Thanks for sharing. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Radiation therapy to lung

I am so sorry about this diagnosis.  If it was me, I would be considering alternative methods of treatment.  Prayers are with you.

Honored Contributor

@Ditzydori wrote:

My hubby needs to get radiation therapy to a small spot in his lung, which is metastized melanoma. 

I am aware of the possible side effects, but personal experiences are always better. Has anyone gotten radiation to the lung, and how did it go for you?  any encouragement?  

Thanks for sharing. 

@Ditzydori

I had nodules on both lungs, at different times. At first I was having Ultrasounds every 3 months for a year. Then it changed to every 6 months. After the first 6 month Ultrasound, that nodule was gone, but another was found on my other lung.

Same procedure as the first time around, except, this one lasted over 2 years longer. Neither one of them increased enough in size to warrant a biopsy. As of now both lungs are still nodule free.

I have not had radiation treatment so really cannot offer you anything concerning personal experience with your husbands lung issue? I can offer my encouragement, and also what I have said on this forum many times.

With my many serious life/death issues, my best friend through those times was "Optimism", and it always helped me deal with these very difficult times.

I send my thoughts and best wishes to both you and your husband. I hope maybe someone her has had some experience with this, or knows someone that does. You might consider also putting this thread on the Community Chat Forum as many more read that forum.

My best to both of you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Ditzydori, best wishes to you and DH as you go through this.  Remember to take a 'care' bag with you to treatments.  I did this with a relative.  Always had a soft throw, some water, some food, some gum, a book, some music to help along the way.  I found the patient often found it cold in hospital.

These appointments and hospital time can run long so it is best to be prepared for a wait in the event it happens.  LM

Trusted Contributor

@Ditzydori Sorry to hear about your husband. My husband had radiation after prostate surgery and the radiation damaged his colon, so now he has to deal with that the rest of his life. Best of luck to your husband! 

Respected Contributor

My Dad had radiation for a small lung tumor.  It was very succesful.  His side effects were a redness of the area, like sunburn.  He did have a time with swallowing a bit due to where the tumor was.  Lots of milkshakes, protein drinks etc.  He lost some taste of food.  With the radiation the tumor disappeared.  This was 7 years ago and he needed no chemo after.  There is always hope and successful outcomes.  Good Luck

Respected Contributor

The original post reminded me of when we learned that my cousin, a VietNam vet, was operated on for lung cancer.  They removed a golf all-sized tumor which originally started as a melanoma.

He went into an experimental treatment program at a leading edge hospital....however, the cancer had spread to the brain.  May he rest in peace.

Please get checked for any " spot " on the skin, better yet, get an annual skin check and use sun screen.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Super Contributor

Thanks for your replies.  

Honored Contributor

A former co-worker has stage 4 lung cancer that's spread to her brain.  She had radiation on her brain.  They are not doing surgery or radiation on her lung.  She is currently going through 6 rounds if chemo for her lung.  They are hoping to shrink the tumor, then will put her on a drug that will keep the cancer stable.  They did a scan after 3 chemo to see if it's working and it is.

I had endometrial cancer and had radiation on my pelvic area.  Radiation took roughly a half hour.  Half of that time was making sure I was lined up with the machine.  It doesn't hurt.  You don't even know anything is being done to you.  If there are issues, they come in the form of side effects.  I had some bladder issues, but they seem to have gone away.  I had it a year ago.  I had 25 external and 2 internal sessions.

Super Contributor

I had Carcinoid cancer in my lungs.  Back in 1993, not too much information was available about this cancer and my oncologists didn't really know much about it.  So after my surgery, I had radiation therapy on my lung - everyday for about 6 weeks.   I since found out that radiation therapy isn't used for Carcinoid cancer.  Oh well.

That was about 23 years ago and I don't really have any side effects from the radiation.  I was worried about it as a listed side effect is cancer!?!  The only things that bothered  me at the time was the terrible fatigue and sunburn like feeling (but the cream I was given helped a lot).

I still have the tattoos that mark the area of radiation and can't wear low cut blouses.

I hope your husband has success with his treatment and good luck to you both. 

Gail

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~