Honored Contributor

Questions For Ladies Who Wear Compression Socks

[ Edited ]

I went to medical supply store of some kind to get compression socks (knee-hi's in firm) for a circulation problem I am having in my lower leg.  It has been swelling and red.  Last Friday I had an ultrasound to rule out a blood clot.  Thankfully, I didn't have one.  My doctor wants me to wear compression socks.  I was measured.  My lower leg felt great but I had deep marks from the elastic band.behind my knee.  I looked compression socks up on you tube and the lady said to move them down 2 finger widths if that happens and smooth them out....that didn't work.  The elastic top is hitting me right where I have 2 bulging variocose veins just below and behind my knee. They also seemed quite long.  They put me in a medium short.  While the bottom of my leg felt much better, behind my knee was so painful..  What do you wear for this?  I was able to return the one's I bought last Friday (thank goodness....$50 for one pair!!)   Where do you buy yours and are they the same quality?  I would sure be grateful for any responses.  My leg is really bothering me.

Oh dear, this doesn't look like the other New Messages....what did I do wrong?  I'm messing up right and left this week....    

Honored Contributor

Re: Questions For Ladies Who Wear Compression Socks

I don't really have an answer for you, Jubilant, but the compression stockings drove me crazy after my knee replacements.  Maybe you could try a larger size??  Or maybe see if the thigh-high ones would work.  Those would still hurt behind my knee but I would think less so than knee-highs.

Honored Contributor

I have to wear them for my left ankle.  I buy the kind that are the height of a sweat sock.  I get them on Amazon.  They have many styles and colors.  I paid around $14 a pair.  My first pair was knee highs that were in that $50 range.  They slid down by the middle of the day, so that's when I switched to a shorter sock. 

Respected Contributor

I've bought a couple of sets of the Legacy compression socks to wear for work.  I really like them. 

Super Contributor

I wear mine by twisting them around my leg like a candy cane so that they don't hit right behind my knee.  HTH

Honored Contributor

@wishd4it wrote:

I wear mine by twisting them around my leg like a candy cane so that they don't hit right behind my knee.  HTH

Clever. 8)

Honored Contributor

I don't buy the expensive ones sold by medical supply houses, or the "medical" ones. I used to buy The Futuro ones at $18 but they were very tight and a bit too tall. Foe the past 2 years I've been buying the $10 As Seen On TV ones from CVS and been very happy with them. They're enough without being painful. The company has phased those out and now sells the same thing in the same box but it's copper-infused, which helps with odor. The new ones are a bit too tall for me, so most days I turn them down 3/4 of an inch.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone.  This gives me a lot to go on.  I just ordered 3 of the things mentioned here.  It sounds like I need to experiment... so that is what I'm doing.  I apppreciated the quick replies.

Honored Contributor

You should not be wearing anything tight around your knee or hitting right where you have varicose veins - they make full length compression stockings and while I am sure you would prefer to only have to wear the short one you really NEED the long ones that come up as far as a pair of old fashioned stockings used to do. When you go to buy them they need to measure the diameter of your thigh so  they aren't too tight there as well.

Honored Contributor

The Legacy socks are wonderful, but they are only available in light compression.
They are the only type of knee high sock I can wear without the painful squeezing behind my knee, but I doubt they would be helpful to OP because the compression would not be adequate for her needs.
For anyone who, like me, NEEDS mild compression, these are great!