Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question about my upcoming operation

[ Edited ]

Had adominal surgery in July.  Not like it was 20 - 30 years ago.  Just follow the instructions in the hospital and your release papers.  Pain is not a big issue.  Yes, it hurts to get from lying down to sitting up, but that is a minute.  You will be given pain pills but I did not need all of mine.  Tylenol took care of my discomfort.  You will be kept comfortable.

I went from the hospital (5 days) to rehab where I had OT and PT for a week.  

Wishing you the best and I pray the tumor is benign!

The anxiety is really the worst part of it all.

Super Contributor

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy at 43. I have felt fabulous ever since. I don't remember the recovery much except that I got the full 6 weeks off from work and the last two weeks I felt guilty for being home. Enjoy the rest. 

Esteemed Contributor

Before your surgery go get yourself some Citrucel or Metamucil because if you need to take the pain pills once you're back home, they can be constipating and you don't need that discomfort on top of whatever other discomfort you have. Either of those (I prefer the Citrucel myself) will be a big help with that. They may come in pill form, I don't know but I have the powder that you mix in a glass of water.

Honored Contributor

@tama,

The very nature of this surgery, and the fact it will be done thru an abdominal incision is a given for intense pain and discomfort for several weeks.   Stay on top of your pain with taking your pain meds as scheduled.   There will come a time several weeks after surgery when your body will let you know you can start cutting back on the pain meds, but don't try to cut back too soon.  Once the pain becomes intense, it will take hours of suffering before oral meds bring relief, so don't be afraid to take your pain medication as prescribed.   

Wrap your head around the fact there will be pain, but always hang onto the fact it is healing pain, and it will get better with each passing day.   Be prepared to sleep in a recliner for awhile, because it will be easier to get in and out of compared to your bed.  Raised toilets or toilet seats, step in showers, or shower seats will also make your life more comfortable.   

In the time you have before surgery, I urge you to do anything at home that will make your recovery smoother and stress free.   Make sure your furniture is arranged to give you extra room to get around, make sure there are no rugs that you could trip on, as you will be moving slower, and not lifting your feet as high.   Stock your house with food that is easy to prepare.   Think of the things you want to do while you recover; read, color, word search, watch movies, crochet, etc; plan for your down time.   

These suggestions are what worked for me five years ago when I had knee replacement, and are things I will be doing again in a few short weeks when I have my other knee done.   Right now I am cleaning my house, and stocking my pantry and freezer with meals my family can easily prepare.   I am packing my bag for the hospital, and making a list of things I want to get done while I'm recovering.   

Wishing you the very best with your surgery and recovery!  

Trusted Contributor

@tama  First of all, good luck to you.  I pray things go smoothly.

I had double hernia surgery years ago, it was a long healing process for me.  Had a couple of 2-inch long incisions.

It will depend on the type of surgery you have.

Honored Contributor

Of course, these are questions for your doctor and everyone heals differently and there are differnent pain thresholds.  I almost did not respond because I had my total hysterectomy 20 years ago.  I'm sure much has changed.  I had my uterus and both ovaries removed.  I already had two kids, I was fortunate.  I had a uterine fibroid that they said was as big as a 9 month fetus.  I also had extensive endometriosus.  I had been in constant pain and suffering for years.  It was an open procedure, I have an ugly scar from just above my navel all the way down.  It was long surgery but my only regret was that I had not done it sooner.  I had absolutely no post op pain.  I had a patient controlled pain pump, so I controlled my pain meds but after the first day or two, I really didn't need it.  I was up dangling my legs off the side of the bed the night of the surgery and they had me up walking the very next day.  I had great nurses!  One older nurse told me that I HAD to stand up straight and walk walk walk.  Stand straight to keep adhesions from forming and walk to get my stamina back and get the residual anesthesia out of my system.  Hubby is an RN and he totally agreed.  I was in the hospital for 5 days but I was strong and pain free when I left.  I could not drive for 6 weeks, I was told I couldn't drive until the surgeon okayed it at my 6 week check up.  Between you and me, I did start driving around the neighborhood after 4 weeks.  I had no healing problems, I think the stitches came out at 6 weeks but they were the dissolving kind so, the nurse only had to remove a few that didn't disolve.  I did not go up and down stairs for several weeks and I did tire easily for a few weeks.  My MIL and my Mom were a great help.    Since I had both ovaries out, I went into surgical menopause and that was like a sledge hammer hit me.  Every meno symptom hit me at once....times 10.  I had been told that would happen so it was not a surprise.  So, I took estrogen for two years and that helped a lot but I had still had some hot flashes.  I didn't like the idea of staying on Estrogen for life or even for an extended period of time, so after two years, I stopped taking it.  And nothing bad happened.  My libido was fine, better than it had been before the surgery since I wasn't in pain anymore.  The hot flashes went on for years but lessened over the years.  If I didn't KNOW that I had a hysterectly; I wouldn't know it.  If that makes any sense to you.  I think attitude is crucial to how we recover after any surgery.  If you ask your doctor every question you can conceivable think of, there won't be any surprises.  And if you go into it with a positive mind set and focus on what you will gain from the surgery and not what you will lose, your recovery will be easy.  Also, before and after surgery, refuse to listen to anyone's horror stories.  There is nothing to be gained from hearing someone else's bad experiences.  Good luck with your surgery.  You'll be fine and you'll be healthier for it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It takes a long time to really get your strength back, so don't be discouraged. Also it can take awhile to regulate your hormones. Hystersisters is a good website with great info and a forum where ladies discuss all kinds of things related to menopause, Either with or without hormone replacement therapy. 

I edited because I thought they had non surgical menopause discussions too, but I think I was mistaken. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tama - First of all, don't worry.  Yes, it's natural to, but I believe going in with a positive attitude helps your recovery.  I had a complete hysterctomy 3 yrs. ago next month.  I had fibroids for years, but some other issues developed post menopause.  My gynecologist used the DaVinci robotic method and I have to say I really didn't have very much pain.  Maybe the feeling of muscle soreness right at first, but nothing debilitating that lasted very long. I literally bounced back within a couple of days, even though she still restricted certain activities (housework, sexual activity, driving, etc.).  

As for you being able to maneuver the stairs, that's different for everyone.  You need to consider your overall health, weight, and ability going into surgery and the way your procedure is being done.  You might be able to sleep in your own bed as soon as you get home but limit the stairs to going down once in the AM and up once in the PM for a couple of days.  You can ask your doctor about all of that at your pre-surgical visit, but he/she will also go over all your post-surgical restrictions and limitations with whomever your support person is on the day of surgery.  You will probably have a post-surgical checkup in the doctor's office a week after surgery.  Assuming you're feeling good and everything is going well, your doctor may allow gradual increased activity as long as you don't overdo it and jump right back into your old routine.  Even so, there will be some restrictions that last for weeks.  Remember, this is a time to take care of yourself.  If you're like most of us, you've probably been the caregiver more often than the care receiver.  Let your friends and family help you.  It's OK.

There's a lot of info on hystersisters that you might benefit from.

Good luck!  

Honored Contributor

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Oh, another thing - get a firm pillow.  It can be a cheapie foam pillow.  A pillow will be your friend after abdominal surgery.  If you have to cough, sneeze or even laugh, use the pillow against your tummy/abdominal area to keep it stable.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise