Honored Contributor

Re: Question about arthritis in the spine

@hckynut, Believe me John, I have been told many, many times I need to lose weight, but some things are easier said than done!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@hckynut, Believe me John, I have been told many, many times I need to lose weight, but some things are easier said than done!Smiley Happy

@Hooty

My reply was not a reference to you personally regarding your weight. It was/is a generalization of what most good doctors tell all their ppatients who's visit is for ANY lower body/weight bearing joint problem.

I was "THE FAT KID" in high school so believe me I understand that side of the weight issue. That was my "handle" in high school. Then when training for running full 26.2 mile Marathon, I got the " Have you been sick" comments. My reply? Why do you ask?  They say "because you are so thin".

As I said, I know well both sides of weight comments. Have also heard "I wish I was as lucky as you" comment, as if luck had a minutia to do with my weight loss. I told them, "no, it is because I work(ed) hard at keeping my weight where I want it, depending on which sport for which I am training".

The weight part of my post was not my purpose, all of the other things I mentioned, through my several back issues, 2 surgeries, and rehabilitation and maintaining my function and flexibilities.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@hckynut.....I try to stay active...I work outside the home (but do a lot of lifting of boxes when I have to deliver job work)  as well as 'work' at home, always doing something, inside and out....and I am not overweight.

I  also exercise, maybe not daily but I do exercise. This  diagnosis really threw me!  I have had back issues for years, starting in my 20's.  I did something while playing basketball with a friends child!  Next thing I did was sprain my pelvis while working in the yard...that took an entire summer to heal.....then I had no back issues for several years, then this!.....to me it is out of the blue.

I hope I am offered (or I will ask) if there is a class I can go to because I have no idea what I can and cannot do as far as exercising, lifting, etc. plus some of the replies to my thread have scared me a little....I am sorry there are so many in such pain.

@Mom2Dogs  I might not be the best patient, but I was told not to this this and not to do that. After awhile, you just have to do it, and suffer, lol, if you want to try to continue to function and take care of yourself. I'm not completely reckless, I know my limits, but I was told not to lift anything over my head. Really??  Try that. You will learn how to best accomplish things to cause you less discomfort. Not that classes or PT is bad, just that it's very individual and what you can live with as far as lifestyle. That said, I do things I shouldn't and do pay for it. 

Honored Contributor

@Reba055....I hear you about doing what you want to do....that is my personality as well, but I do wish I knew what I should and should not do, like ice or heat, will lifting do damage....does Motrin or something similar help with the aching and stiffness.

My appointment was quick.....I tried pressing the doctor but by the time he got to me I had already waited 1 hour, and it was late in the day and I know there were patients after me.

I realize he wants to make a firm diagnosis before he advises me but it will be several weeks before I am scheduled for the numbing shot that will aid my diagnosis.

Mornings are rough, I am very stiff and sore so I do a few stretching exercises but again, not sure what is best.  He wants me to strengthen my core but not sure what exercises to do.

I am not much of a complainer so at least my husband is not having to listen to me.  My mom and dad both passed from cancer and I know my mom especially was in a lot of pain and I never heard her complain about her situation so I am not going to complain because I know that my pain is not even close to what she endured.

Respected Contributor

There are lots of excersises that you can do at home, just Google exercise for arthritis, that is a place to start to help you strengthen!!

I learned early on from my Doctor, that for each pound one loses that is 4 pounds of pressure off your joints. It adds up fast! Aim for 10% to start, not so monumental depending on how much you want to lose.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs

I have always written a list of question before all my doctor visits, even when they are one of my good friends. For many, when a doctor starts talking, they often leave with unanswered questions.

Physical Therapists can give you many exercises to do, but nobody, I STRESS-NOBODY can tell each patient exactly what they can and cannot do in relation to movement. 

After each of my back surgeries, the standard rules generally apply to all. Certain movements SHOULD NEVER be done by anyone with spinal issues. I could list thek, but their are way too many. Ask your doctor to give you that list. As time goes by each person has to monitor what movements negatively effect their spine and which ones do not.

You say you are stiff and sore in the mornings and dona few stretches. NEVER stretch any muscle group, especially those that support the spinal column, when your blood temperature, thus your muscles are cold. This is even more of a factor if you are not sure of the exercises.

There is a reason athletes warm up before playing their game, and also before training. Human blood temperatures are usually lowest in the mornings, thus the muscle and connective tissue stiffness. When my back was at close to it's worse, I would stand in a warm(hot) showerbto help bring up my blood and muscle temperatures.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut....thanks so much for the advice/warning about not stretching first thing in the morning, I had no idea!  .....my list of questions for my doctor is growing.

Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Mom2Dogs

I have always written a list of question before all my doctor visits, even when they are one of my good friends. For many, when a doctor starts talking, they often leave with unanswered questions.

Physical Therapists can give you many exercises to do, but nobody, I STRESS-NOBODY can tell each patient exactly what they can and cannot do in relation to movement. 

After each of my back surgeries, the standard rules generally apply to all. Certain movements SHOULD NEVER be done by anyone with spinal issues. I could list thek, but their are way too many. Ask your doctor to give you that list. As time goes by each person has to monitor what movements negatively effect their spine and which ones do not.

You say you are stiff and sore in the mornings and dona few stretches. NEVER stretch any muscle group, especially those that support the spinal column, when your blood temperature, thus your muscles are cold. This is even more of a factor if you are not sure of the exercises.

There is a reason athletes warm up before playing their game, and also before training. Human blood temperatures are usually lowest in the mornings, thus the muscle and connective tissue stiffness. When my back was at close to it's worse, I would stand in a warm(hot) showerbto help bring up my blood and muscle temperatures.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut@Mom2Dogs John is so right about stretching. Probably the single most important thing to do and I must admit, I often skip over it. Thanks for the reminder John!