Valued Contributor

Question about Silver Sneaker Program

I just got a card in the mail yesterday that I qualify for the Silver Sneaker program on my Medicare supplement ins.  Just wondered if someone on here has done the program & how it was?  May sound like a silly question but I haven't been to a gym in ages. Would love to go do some kind of exercise class. I use to do one years ago & really loved it. But couldn't afford the monthly fee so stopped.  Since I am retired now it would be nice to get out of the house & do something fun!  The places that offer it, do they treat the ones on the program ok?  Again silly question but after all you aren't one of their paying partrons so who knows. When I was younger I always felt kind of intimidated by all the people there in great shape. Now I guess it doesn't matter!  LOL   Anyway I looked up some of the sites around me & there are several. Just thinking of checking it out. Thoughts & experiences would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question about Silver Sneaker Program

[ Edited ]

@Lovemyboots - Several ladies in my community go to the Silver Sneaker Program and love it! I don't know about your gym, but the one here offers the class in the early afternoon (I prefer early morning workouts). You can be as low or high impact as you want (or as your body allows). I had considered it, however, I don't think it would be enough for me personally. I like weight classes and kick boxing - I'm more high energy - HTH

Valued Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@Lovemyboots - Several ladies in my community go to the Silver Sneaker Program and love it! I don't know about your gym, but the one here offers the class in the early afternoon (I prefer early morning workouts). You can be as low or high impact as you want (or as your body allows). I had considered it, however, I don't think it would be enough for me personally. I like weight classes and kick boxing - I'm more high energy - HTH

Wow wish I was high energy!  I actually would rather do a class in the morning too. But it is because I wear down by afternoon!  But low enery is fine with me. Just something to keep me moving. And I think would be nice to meet new people. I think I am going to call some of the gyms listed & just see what kind of classes they have. I might try one out to see. Couldn't hurt. Thanks

Respected Contributor

@Lovemyboots

I have had Silver Sneakers for almost 5 years.  I do both Curves (any time of day) and my local Sports Club ( I use the pool and spa whenever I go ).  I am treated as any other patron.  The facility gets paid by Silver Sneakers for the times you attend.  I think it's better for them the more times you go during the month: more revenue for them / better health for you.   Win - Win - Win.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

@Lovemyboots - I forgot to mention - when you check out the gyms, see if you can get a couple of free passes to try it out - If they offer it at different times of the day, different instructor, etc. A different instructor can make a huge difference in the tone of the class.

Trusted Contributor

Because you have a free membership, check out the gyms and see if they have a pool.  You will find water aerobics one of the best exercise classes as it doesn't put any impact on your joints. 

Honored Contributor

You can get a LOT more information on silversneakers dot com.    Looks pretty good.

My neighbor was very insistent she didn't have it with her Medicare program .... and she didn't.   It's part of the Supplemental or Advantage portion of Medicare coverage.  Glad we cleared that up for her!

Valued Contributor

@henderson wrote:

Because you have a free membership, check out the gyms and see if they have a pool.  You will find water aerobics one of the best exercise classes as it doesn't put any impact on your joints. 

I saw on their website that some places have pools. I would love to take a water aerobics class!  Thanks!  I hadn't thought of that!  I have lower back problems & I'm sure that would be better!   Yes on the other poster, I just got this letter & a card from my supplemental ins.  Didn't know I would qualify for the SilverSneakers either. For as much as you pay for that it is nice to have a perk or 2! 

Honored Contributor

Silver sneakers is NOT a specific class - silver sneakers pays your gym membership. I belong to the YMCA and my membership is paid for by my insurance - silver sneakers. I can go and use the pool or take a class - like a yoga or a zumba or I can work out on the machines. Whatever I like. There are senior classes but they are not specifically only for silver sneakers.

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

Incorrect info - silver sneakers is not for a specific class - you can go to anything they offer - pool, gym, classes.