Honored Contributor

Re: QUESTION FOR THOSE AGE 60 PLUS

I know a lady whose daughter is a nurse ,and appeared before congress  to talk about regulating this industry.

There are no safe gaurds at all, regulating what you actually are getting ,nor  the strength of the dosage

They can put anything they want into suppliments, and give you any dose they feel like

They can't do this with RX drugs

Respected Contributor

Well to all of you that aren't taking medications and don't need them, I say you are a bunch of lucky people. I am 64 and I come from a family that didn't have great genetics. Thank God I missed some of the diseases they had. I am an only child so I don't have much to compare with. I take Omeprozole for acid reflux, if I didn't I'd be setting myself up fo esophygus  cancer. I also take Mirapex for restless leg syndrome, if I didn't I'd never get a good nights sleep. Last but not least, I am sure that some will shake their heads, but I take Tramadol for Fibromyalgia and arthritis. I can't take anti-inflamatory drugs due to the acid reflux. I've had acid reflux since I was 29 years old and fibromyalgia for almost 25 years. My doctor is not a big pill believer, but she knows what I need to make my life better than it would be without RX's.  I hope I don't have to take anymore for a long, long time. I feel this isn't that bad, compare to my DH. I won't even go there.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Please do not answer this question if you feel it is too personal. I do not want to ruffle anyone's feathers.    If you choose to answer great, if not that is great as well. 

How many of you do not  take internally  prescrition medications?    If you can give your age that would be helpful.

I am 61 and take no prescriptions meds at this time. I work hard to keep my blood pressure in check which has been the only health issue that I have had to work on  actually since my 20's!   I have found a combination of daily exercise, diet and herbal supplementation that keeps  my blood pressure in a healthy range. 

@SeaMaiden

Early 60's here, too. I live a healthy lifestyle and have no need to take prescription drugs. 

I will say that a healthy lifestyle doesn't necessarily mean one can avoid prescription medications. 

Honored Contributor

@LexaMom wrote:

I think this thread has stopped being a request for input and has begun to be an anti-Prescription Medicine thread.  Sorry, I come from a family of doctors and I feel blessed to live in a time when people with Glaucoma no longer go blind due to drops,  people with Cholesterol they inherited from their family no longer have heart attacks.  I had a hysterectomy and my ovaries out in my thirties, and losing estrogen cause my bone loss.   I feel blessed that I can use a drug to limit the damage.    Sorry ladies, but I think you are being much too critical of the drug industry.   I would probably be a blind 68 year olf with a heart condition if I had ignored my issues.

Picked up on that..????   LOL   Just another "I hate doctors and drugs, just give me some leeches" threads...LOL  

Respected Contributor

@gmkb wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@gmkb wrote:

On the issue of supplements.  In my nursing days many patients would ask one of the physicians I worked with about otc supplements.  He would always advise not taking any  because many contain amphetamines.

Just an observation of those who have lived a long life. Those who live well into their nineties/one hundred do not take prescription meds.  Is that good genes or or not taking meds?

I do take 4 prescriptions meds.

Absolutely false. I have a mother in her 90s who is on several Rx meds. She needs them, she takes them, and so do many anciennes. 

Let's stop promulgating this line of thinking. There is nothing virtuous about not needing medication, there is nothing laudatory about not taking medication if you need it, and we really need to stop with the self-promotions for the benefits given us by the one who cannot be named on these forums. Enough!

@noodleann  You overreacted to my statement.  I said it was my observation.  That was based on years of nursing and family members.  That does not mean everyone who lives a long life does not take meds.  Obviously I do not promote not taking prescription meds.  I said I take 4.

But you didn't limit your statement to people you had observed and family relations. That would have been a whole different kettle of fish. You said "Those who live well into their nineties/one hundred do not take prescription meds." That's an absolute declaration of fact, @gmkb. I'm glad you don't stand by it, especially if  you have a nursing background. And I'm glad you're on the side of medicine. You set a good example, and thank you.

Respected Contributor

Since someone's mentioned Lisinopril and cough, please let me share something I learned when I found myself plagued with a dry cough after starting this drug. It is one of the possible side effects, and it afflicts women more often than men.

My research found a study--might have been two--that determined that iron supplementation could help alleviate or prevent that HBP-med cough. I printed a copy off for my phamacist, hoping he's spread the word with customers like me. 

What fixed my Lisinopril cough was one tablet of Vitron-C every day. That's it. I take a very low dose of Lisinopril, so I don't know whether a higher dose means it'll be less effective or not effective at all, but unless you have hemochromatosis or some other condition that precludes taking iron, please consider trying it if you have that awful cough.

Vitron-C contains 125 mcg Vitamin C as ascorbic acid and 65 mg elemental iron as carbonyl iron. It is available in supermarkets, drug stores, etc., and costs about $13 to $15 for a 60-tablet bottle. I am sensitive to iron supplements making me feel quite queasy, and I've never had a problem with this, even on an empty stomach.

If anyone needs the study, please reply back here to me with the "@" so I see it in notifications and I'll look it up again.

Respected Contributor

Throughout my life, I rarely needed any prescription drugs. That all changed in late 2006, when I had a brain aneurysm.

So I take a number of drugs each day. I am grateful they exist!

Valued Contributor

Have you ever tried taking Turmeric for your arthritis ?It take s a few weeks o kick in but it does hep alot , Astaxanthin also will help you Bioastin is a good brand , Yes it may take a few weeks but it will help . The astaxanthin may be the best choice for you because turmeric is a spice  , You should take 8 mg a day of astaxanthin 4 mg in morning and 4 mg in the evening , .

cathy from ma

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@LexaMom wrote:

I think this thread has stopped being a request for input and has begun to be an anti-Prescription Medicine thread.  Sorry, I come from a family of doctors and I feel blessed to live in a time when people with Glaucoma no longer go blind due to drops,  people with Cholesterol they inherited from their family no longer have heart attacks.  I had a hysterectomy and my ovaries out in my thirties, and losing estrogen cause my bone loss.   I feel blessed that I can use a drug to limit the damage.    Sorry ladies, but I think you are being much too critical of the drug industry.   I would probably be a blind 68 year olf with a heart condition if I had ignored my issues.

Picked up on that..????   LOL   Just another "I hate doctors and drugs, just give me some leeches" threads...LOL  

It seems that some don't care if they live or die and are suffering from deep depression. Anyone who refuses to take life saving meds because they don't like the pharmaceutical industry or doctors in general .....I just find that sad. Giving up on life? I guess I cannot understand how anyone's life is so bad that they simply don't care. Simply put....disturbing.

Honored Contributor

I don't think it is necessary to be "for" or "against" pharmaceuticals.  We all know (or SHOULD know) that without may of them that people would have a poor quality of ife, or die before they need to.

But we can know that and also know that some pharmaceuticals are given out rather indisciminately and perhaps unnecessarily when other options would suffice and have less side effects.

It's not an either/or for most of us.  I think.