Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pressure sores/bed sores advice needed

@SANNA wrote:

Thank you, ladies, for your time and answers. She has an attendant, and a nurse who visits. Mom is walking a little a few times a day, she keeps her leg elevated and not touching the surface. 

I ordered her a special boot, but she refused to use it, just like she refuses her hearing aid. 🙄🙄🙄.

She eats well, quality food. They keep the wound saline washed,then cream and dressing. So I am hopeful  for a magic bullet.

surprizingly her wound developed iafrter only a week at one of the best NYC hospitals where the stars go!!!!!!!!! Lenox Hill !!!

Thanks again!

@SANNA- it can happen in the best of hospitals with older people and decreased circulation..  LH is an acute care hospital as are most of them and their focus is not targeted to older patients and their special needs. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@SANNA wrote:

Thank you, ladies, for your time and answers. She has an attendant, and a nurse who visits. Mom is walking a little a few times a day, she keeps her leg elevated and not touching the surface. 

I ordered her a special boot, but she refused to use it, just like she refuses her hearing aid. 🙄🙄🙄.

She eats well, quality food. They keep the wound saline washed,then cream and dressing. So I am hopeful  for a magic bullet.

surprizingly her wound developed iafrter only a week at one of the best NYC hospitals where the stars go!!!!!!!!! Lenox Hill !!!

Thanks again!

@SANNA- it can happen in the best of hospitals with older people and decreased circulation..  LH is an acute care hospital as are most of them and their focus is not targeted to older patients and their special needs. 

Sorry @Stray, but that's no excuse. People of ANY age can develop a decubitus ulcer, and considering her relative immobility following surgery, it should've been anticipated and steps taken to prevent it from developing. Preventing development of decubitus ulcers during a hospital stay is basic health care 101.

They're preventable, and once they form they're painful, and slow to heal.

Honored Contributor

You can buy the sheepskin pads online. There is a lot of information about the healing properties of  them on the net

You don't use them instead of  medical care, but as a backup system for comfort

Honored Contributor

Yes, sheepskin products really do help. All I wear in the winter is sheepskin mittens and booties...everything else causes my digital ulcers to get worse. Also 100% Merino wool socks are very gentle on the skin, too. 

Esteemed Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@SANNA wrote:

Thanks again!

Sorry @Stray, but that's no excuse. People of ANY age can develop a decubitus ulcer, and considering her relative immobility following surgery, it should've been anticipated and steps taken to prevent it from developing. Preventing development of decubitus ulcers during a hospital stay is basic health care 101.

@x Hedge- I'm not offering it as an excuse.  It happens a lot to elderly people because they have diminished circulation, are immobile longer due to effects of anesthesia and often don't feel the sore.  A younger person is up quicker, will feel it easier, communicate it sooner  and usually have a shorter stay.  Nurses on a busy orthopedic floor usually have short term patients and are just not gearing care to the elderly.  Decubitus is rare on a younger person but of course it happens but the incidence is higher in older people....and if a younger person develops a bedsore, unless, they are in poor condition, it will heal quicker.  It wasn't an excuse, it shouldn't happen, it does, it did to the OP's mother and it happens in the best of hospitals.  I was trying to make the point that the choice of hospital was not the reason for the decubitus. 

Regular Contributor

Pressure sores/bed sores advice needed

I read this article yesterday and found it fascinating. Perhaps this device will make its way to all hospitals and extended care facilities, as well as the private marketplace for those individuals who could use something like this at home, soon:

https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/23/nasa-mars-bedsores-sem-scanner-hospitals/

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fff11 wrote:

I read this article yesterday and found it fascinating. Perhaps this device will make its way to all hospitals and extended care facilities, as well as the private marketplace for those individuals who could use something like this at home, soon:

https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/23/nasa-mars-bedsores-sem-scanner-hospitals/

@fff11,

Thanks for sharing that article. Fascinating! The pressure sores I get...I can feel them coming about a week or so before they surface. I wonder what kind of  "treatment" they're doing to the sores before they reach the surface? When I feel mine coming there's nothing I can do except wait until they surface then get treated. Hate it.Smiley Sad I nearly lost three of my fingers to  scleroderma ulcers. I had to be treated in a hyberbaric chamber to save me from amputation..all because of these darn pressure sores.

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

You can buy the sheepskin pads online. There is a lot of information about the healing properties of  them on the net

You don't use them instead of  medical care, but as a backup system for comfort

Thank you cherry, I ordered them today and also got her sheepskin soft booties for walking in her hallway since she cannot wear sneakers.

Respected Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@x Hedge wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@SANNA wrote:

Thanks again!

@x Hedge- I'm not offering it as an excuse.  It happens a lot to elderly people because they have diminished circulation, are immobile longer due to effects of anesthesia and often don't feel the sore.  A younger person is up quicker, will feel it easier, communicate it sooner  and usually have a shorter stay.  Nurses on a busy orthopedic floor usually have short term patients and are just not gearing care to the elderly.  Decubitus is rare on a younger person but of course it happens but the incidence is higher in older people....and if a younger person develops a bedsore, unless, they are in poor condition, it will heal quicker.  It wasn't an excuse, it shouldn't happen, it does, it did to the OP's mother and it happens in the best of hospitals.  I was trying to make the point that the choice of hospital was not the reason for the decubitus. 

I know it is an acute care hospital, she fell at night ,broke her previously replaced hip and was taken there since it is her neighborhood. The surgery was great and she was there for only 6  days! But post op care was certainly nice but not like at NYU joints disease where she was operated originally by my choice. She never developed sores over there and was given PT from the next day and her feet and ankles were treated by special machines daily. So I think,if LH has an ortho floor they have to take special care of everybody who is potential for problems. Nurses have to check their patients, they are paid enough there. Meanwhile I am grateful she is alive and we will try our best to help her to heal.

Esteemed Contributor

@SANNA- yes, you are correct.  Precautions do have to be taken for a compromised person but sadly, and often they are not.  Sometimes we don't have choices where we wind up and tho a hospital has a good name, it may not be good for all cases.  Specialized hospitals like HSS in NYC or any hospital devoted to orthopedics are more cautious and cognizant of the special risks older people have when they are immobilized.  Six days is a very short time to develop a sore so I hope it isn't too deep and your mom will do well.  It should not have happened.