Contributor

Re: Pressure sores/bed sores advice needed

Bedsores as everyone said, is a very serious problem.

She should see her MD right away so he can recommend treatment.

i had a nurse come twice a week and went to the wound center once a week.

The wound center eventually found an excellent treatment.  Endoform dermal template.

It is Rx.

They advised me to keep pressure off and make sure I get enough protein.

Trusted Contributor

Please take this very seriously and do what the Dr.is telling  you. My FIL had the exact  problem which eventually  took his life. He fell and broke his hip and he was in a rehab and he developed  a sore on his heal, quickly develop  infection.  They wanted to amputate his leg, but he said no.

Esteemed Contributor

@depglass wrote:

There seems to be some confusion here whether the sore is supposed to be bandanged or open to the air.  DH was prescribed Silvadine after a spider bite turned into a large blister.  His instructions were to keep it bandaged for X number of days.  Silvadine is what they use for burn victims.  On a side note, we recently wantched a show on the death of Casey Kasem, a famous disc jockey.  He had a bedsore on his tailbone which appeared to contribute to his death.  Nothing to mess around with. 

@depglass- it depends on what activity the person is doing.  I assume she may be having PT so it needs to be covered then, but when she is at rest open air is best with no contact with slight elevation of the feet....unless, at some point, a visiting nurse applies a protective covering such as nu skin, the nurse will instruct -and/or change the dressing.  Also it depends on the depth and type of bedsore; some medications debride dead tissue and must remain in place but that too depends on the nurse.  An unattended bedsore just like anything else can become infected and today MRSA is rampant just about everywhere.  A spider bite is different than a bedsore; there is new skin beneath the blister which is natures way of protecting it so you keep a blister covered until it breaks spontaneously....sometimes it's just doctors choice.  A bedsore is ideal media for infection as it is more moist so you want to dry it out.  Many years ago we treated bedsores with sunlamps or turned patients on their stomach in sunlight....results were good.  I am a nurse and cared for my mil five years at home and 5 years in a nursing home.  She never developed a bedsore until about 5 days before she died and her circulation was diminished.  Basically, you keep the pressure off as it is the cause....exposure or not, from my experience, exposure....

Esteemed Contributor

Use the medication as prescribed and call the Dr. or an advice nurse or take her into Urgent Care.  How long has had the sore?  How long has she been home?

Esteemed Contributor

@SANNA wrote:

Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah to all!!!!

My mother  has developed a pressure sore on the back of her heel while in the hospital after her broken hip surgery. She is home now and it is not healing. She now is prescribed Silvadene.

Anybody could recommend anything good that works!

Thank you!

Hello @SANNA. Decubitus ulcers are slow to heal, so please be patient.

The first thing is to remove all pressure from the sore.

The sheepskin Cherry mentioned is a preventative, and would actually not benefit the existing decubitus. However, is sheepskin may help you prevent another decubitus from developing on her other foot. The sheepskin is used fluffy side against the skin.

You have two choices. Either elevate her heel by rolling a small towel and placing it under her ankle. This may not be possible due to the broken hip and surgery. Your other choice is to move her forward on the bed so that the heel of her foot hangs completely over the foot of the bed.

There is a device called a foot cradle that can help you prevent decubitus on toes and upper part of the foot for a person who is going to be on bed rest for extended time such as your mother. A foot cradle is a simple device and your Hospital may loan you one or you can buy one at a hospital supply store. It prevents the sheets and blankets from putting pressure on the toes and upper part of the foot.

Your mother will need a high protein diet. Try to get her to eat protein every 2 to 3 hours. Those protein shakes are very helpful for this. Keep the skin smooth and lubricated with lotion. Massage is often helpful to keep circulation at its best. Good circulation will help the decubitus heal more quickly. Please inspect her ankles and the underside of knees and hips other areas of pressure to make sure he does not develop additional decubitus. Decubitus are fairly easy to prevent but relatively difficult to heal. I wish you the best of luck.

Respected Contributor

Thank you, ladies, for your time and answers. She has an attendant, and a nurse who visits. Mom is walking a little a few times a day, she keeps her leg elevated and not touching the surface. 

I ordered her a special boot, but she refused to use it, just like she refuses her hearing aid. 🙄🙄🙄.

She eats well, quality food. They keep the wound saline washed,then cream and dressing. So I am hopeful  for a magic bullet.

surprizingly her wound developed iafrter only a week at one of the best NYC hospitals where the stars go!!!!!!!!! Lenox Hill !!!

Thanks again!

Honored Contributor

I completely agree that for this kind of wound you need to be under the care of a doctor and/or wound clinic but I just wanted to give those of you that may be caregivers a heads up on a product that was a lifesaver for me while I was taking care of my diabetic mom.  It's called Puracyn and it was developed by I believe a nurse that worked in wound care.

Because of my mom's diabetes and her not always being very interested in following a healthy diet, she would develop blisters on her lower legs.  The first one was so bad I finally overruled her doctor and got her to a wound care clinic which finally healed the sore but going forward when the smaller blisters would appear I could stay in front of them by bandaging them and using Puracyn.  For me, if you also have kids in the house it's a wise purchase to have around as it's a great product.

Esteemed Contributor

@SANNA, sunlight through window glass will do nothing. That's why they used to use sun lamps before broad-spectrum antibiotics became commonly available.

I've only seen the prescription dermal substitute someone mentioned used on deep ulcers that worsened despite treatment, and became potentially life-threatening.

I want to clarify, I don't want you to put lotion in the wound. People on extended bed rest are prone to skin breakdown, and lotion applied regularly over the whole body as a part of massage to stimulate circulation, will help to prevent further breakdown and additional decubitus.

This is especially important with the elderly, who tend to have poorer circulation and thinner, more frail skin to begin with.

Honored Contributor

I have scleroderma and prone to skin ulcerations on my fingers which are a form of pressure sores similar to bed sores. With my skin breaking down due to poor circulation, I have frequent visits to the wound care clinic to get debrided. After this aweful procedure they put on the Silvadene cream and bandages. I have to change the bandages daily and keep applying Silvadene for several days. Then another trip to the wound doc for follow-up. Doc says to always keep the ulcers dressed and never let them dry out. He told me when you let a wound dry out the healing process slows down considerably.

Esteemed Contributor

The skin side is rough, the lambs wool to the ankle....you can also get lambswool heel cups