Trusted Contributor

Prednisone caused me to become diabetic....

[ Edited ]

I am taking 20 meg. daily of Prednisone for my COPD. I have advanced COPD.  It helps to keep me out of the hospital, but now I have become a diabetic because of the Prednisone.  Has anyone experienced this?  I feel like not taking the med and see what may happen.  I have not taken it today and my blood sugar is 88.  I even drank a half glass of orange juice.  What are you opinions? Thank you in advance for your comments. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Prednisone caused me to become diabetic....

I would ask your doctor if this is even possible.  I've never heard of it. 

Honored Contributor

I don't know. I think only you can make that hard decision. I would discuss it with your doctor to see if there are any alternatives.

Trusted Contributor

I googled side effects for this.  I would have copied the entire list, but it was huge.  Obviously you must work with your doctor to discuss the risks v. benefits of your medications.  The info I found came off drugs.com .  

This is a small portion:

Endocrine side effects have included glucose intolerance and hyperglycemia. Diabetes-like symptoms may develop in some individuals. Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal activity may be suppressed for up to 12 months following long-term therapy with prednisone. Cushingoid appearance commonly has occurred with chronic therapy. In addition, hirsutism or virilism, impotence, and menstrual irregularities may occur with chronic therapy.

Corticosteroid therapy may induce glucose intolerance by reducing the utilization of glucose in tissues and increasing hepatic glucose output. Patients on alternate day therapy may exhibit significantly higher serum glucose on the day prednisone is taken. Diabetes mellitus requiring therapy with diet modifications and hypoglycemic agents has developed in some patients.

Adrenal suppression may persist up to twelve months after long-term corticosteroid therapy. Adrenal suppression may be reduced by giving corticosteroids once a day or once every other day. After corticosteroid therapy has been tapered, supplemental corticosteroid therapy during times of stress (illness, surgery, trauma) may be required.

Do the math.
Valued Contributor

Prednisone is a wonder drug but unfortunately it can cause patients who are predisposed to develop diabetes. I am a nurse practitioner and have seen this occur now and then. Please don't stop taking your medication without discussing with your health care provider.

Regular Contributor

type 2 here. Check your genetics. It is in your family, you are going to have it.

Honored Contributor

How long have you been on the medication

@Bobbi sue wrote:

I am taking 20 meg. daily of Prednisone for my COPD. I have advanced COPD.  It helps to keep me out of the hospital, but now I have become a diabetic because of the Prednisone.  Has anyone experienced this?  I feel like not taking the med and see what may happen.  I have not taken it today and my blood sugar is 88.  I even drank a half glass of orange juice.  What are you opinions? Thank you in advance for your comments. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I would ask your doctor if this is even possible.  I've never heard of it. 

Yes it's possible. I just looked it up. For people taking long term it's one of the side effects. Found the info at the Mayo Clinic.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fuzzball76 wrote:

type 2 here. Check your genetics. It is in your family, you are going to have it.

I know they say it runs in the family. My dad got it when he was in his 60's. No other family history.

Esteemed Contributor

I would advise you to speak with your doctor first before stopping any prescribed medication.