Honored Contributor

Re: Please share what helps you relax :)

Several methods ... depending on the circumsstances.

1.  Prayer and meditation.  I'm Catholic ... lots of forms of meditation to choose from - depending on your interests and personality. 

2.  Reading something inspirational.

3. Music / while knitting or sewing

4. Music and a nap.  

Honored Contributor

For me it as always been ironing.  There is something in the slow circular motion and smoothing out all the wrinkles in a garment that can just calm my world down.  I may not have control over something else but right then while ironing I am the winner.  It is strange but it works for me.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

Meditation and/or exercise. For meditation, I have the Calm app. I use it every day and sometimes to help me sleep. Someone else referenced Headspace, which is also good. 

Occasional Contributor

I find Headspace to be helpful too -- started about six months ago and would definitely recommend to anyone wanting to try meditating.

Respected Contributor

Sitting with a glass of wine, popcorn, and a kitty on the lap.  Heavenly.

Respected Contributor

My yard, the woods and in the summer the ocean.

Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

For me it as always been ironing.  There is something in the slow circular motion and smoothing out all the wrinkles in a garment that can just calm my world down.  I may not have control over something else but right then while ironing I am the winner.  It is strange but it works for me.

@beckyb1012 Your post made me remember when my husband left me, many years, ago, and I was blindsided. I don't know why, but ironing was a comfort to me, and I just remember many days of being at home ironing my heart out.  I haven't thought about this in a long time.  Now my iron rarely sees the light of day, though!

Honored Contributor

@Caligurll wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@beckyb1012 Your post made me remember when my husband left me, many years, ago, and I was blindsided. I don't know why, but ironing was a comfort to me, and I just remember many days of being at home ironing my heart out.  I haven't thought about this in a long time.  Now my iron rarely sees the light of day, though!

@Caligurll Thank you for sharing with me how far you have come.  What a great way to start my new day today.  It always gets better in some form or fashion we can rarely see in the beginning.  The pain may never disappear completely but it does weaken and we come out the stronger than the original pain.  So happy to hear your iron is rusting away!Heart

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

What a good post, love seeing everyone's suggestions!

For me, playing the piano helps me relax.

Going for a walk

Sipping Sleepy Time tea

A massage or rubbing pressure points

Doing yoga, or just sitting and being mindful of being calm

Doing counted cross stitch

Listening to classical music

Honored Contributor

Since I quit drinking 20 years ago, nothing.  There is something to be said for a modest glass of wine or a little ******.  The problem comes when you just keep going.