Respected Contributor

Re: Please read, may save a life! Warning: long

Hoping your results are normal.  My dad is a melanoma survivor. His mole was red and oozing on his lower back. 

Thought you you might find this interesting. Bob Marley died of melanoma- black toenail. He thought it was a soccer injury. 

http://www.skincancer.org/news/melanoma/marley 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband is currently battling stage 4 melanoma. He has olive complexion and never thought he was a candadate for this type of cancer. He had a small mole on the jaw bone all his life and it turned. He ignored it, in spite of warning, and now he is paying the price. 

I am glad that you went to the derm. Melanoma caught early, is very curable, like any other cancer. 

We were also told that melanoma appears where the sun doesn't shine. Who knew?

I wish you a good report and also well wishes for your daughter, as well. 

Respected Contributor

@Ditzydori Saying a prayer for your hubby. Dad was stage 4 as well. It's been over 16 years since the diagnosis.  He was treated with Interferon and surgery. No reoccurrences since the original diagnosis. His spot was on his lower back.

Respected Contributor

@Ditzydori wrote:

My husband is currently battling stage 4 melanoma. He has olive complexion and never thought he was a candadate for this type of cancer. He had a small mole on the jaw bone all his life and it turned. He ignored it, in spite of warning, and now he is paying the price. 

I am glad that you went to the derm. Melanoma caught early, is very curable, like any other cancer. 

We were also told that melanoma appears where the sun doesn't shine. Who knew?

I wish you a good report and also well wishes for your daughter, as well. 

Thank you for your good wishes! I am sending same for your husband! I am finding out all sorts of unknown facts about Melanoma! @makeup addict That is interesting about Bob Marley! I thought I injured my nail, as well! I don't know how a person can ever figure out what's ok and what isn't! I hate to run to the doc with every little thing!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

Jewelwisher, thank you for telling your story. It has galvanized me into action!  I have avoided the sun for years, but I "baked" when I was a girl.  I can't possibly examine every part of my body and know what I'm looking at.

We have a multitude of dermatologists in our area that specialize in nothing else but skin cancer: sadly, there's enough of it around to justify the sheer number of them.  I have been saying "I'm going to make an appt", but your story compelled me to follow through and make an actual appt.

I am hoping for the best for you: you have certainly been through a lot the past few months.

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

Jewelwisher, thank you for telling your story. It has galvanized me into action!  I have avoided the sun for years, but I "baked" when I was a girl.  I can't possibly examine every part of my body and know what I'm looking at.

We have a multitude of dermatologists in our area that specialize in nothing else but skin cancer: sadly, there's enough of it around to justify the sheer number of them.  I have been saying "I'm going to make an appt", but your story compelled me to follow through and make an actual appt.

I am hoping for the best for you: you have certainly been through a lot the past few months.

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

Thank you. 

Frequent Contributor

WONDERFUL thread.

Thank you @Imadickens.

Respected Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Poodlepet2

Thank you! Your response was why I told my story! It's such a shame for any one to die because they waited too long! If I had known, I would have gone in sooner! As it is, I can only sit and wait for the results and take my chances! However, hopefully this will be ok. But, be sure that if I ever see anything odd again, I'm heading to the doc ASAP! Thank you for your good wishes! I hope to know by mid week!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

@Imadickens

So jewel, did you get the results?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise