Respected Contributor

Please read, may save a life! Warning: long

[ Edited ]

I am not trying to be overly dramatic but something happened to me at the doctor's yesterday that blew my mind! I went to see my primary due to a bad bout with my allergies. While I was there I happened to think about my discolored toenail. It didn't really bother me but I knew I'd want a pedicure for summer and the nail tech won't do it if she suspects fungal infection is in nail (which of course, she shouldn't!) My big toenail has been about 40% black for at least 6 months now. I figure one of the dogs jumped up and landed on toe bed just right. Anyway, I wanted to be able to assure nail tech it wasn't fungus. I slipped my sock off and showed it to my doc. That's when I knew I was in trouble!

My doc got very serious, got a camera and took tons of pix of my big toe. After asking lots of Q's he made me swear to see a dermatologist ASAP ! He only said it could be nothing, or it could be something, but I had to find out ASAP! When I got home I googled it. I had a 50-50 chance of having Melanoma! I had no idea it could be in a toe nail! So, I knew I had to let others know, too!

It usually occurs in the big toe or thumb of your dominant side. It could be on bottom of foot, too, tho. Most start out as a straight narrow line(s) down middle of nail from tip to bed. They can be anywhere from green to brown to black. As any cancer, the earlier it's treated, the better the chances of cure are! Due to its placement, many aren't detected early. Either skin color is too dark to make it seen or nail polish hides nail. Others (like me) simply ignore it or think it's an old nail injury. By the time they do see it, chances of 5 yr survival rate drop to 6-68%. It is not likely caused by UV exposure as much as by family history of Melanoma or personal history of bad moles (malignant). The skin at the nail bed is also usually discolored as well.

I was unable to see my favorite derm but due to seriousness of situation I took first available with a doctor in the practice. I got in today. She was very nice and knew immediately what my primary suspected. She questioned me as well, did a thorough investigation of my toe and told me what she thought.

My skin showed no discoloration and the big toe was my left (I'm right handed!). There was no streaking, just a large black area on my toe nail. I assume there were other reasons as well, but she doesn't think it's melanoma. She did a large clipping which she sent out for a culture. I get those results in 2 weeks. Depending on those, she may do a biopsy. I offered to let her do one today, but she thought it was ok to wait.

I wanted to write this because I had absolutely no idea a nail could be cancerous, much less have Melanoma! I know diabetics check their feet regularly. It would be a good idea for everyone to know what to look for and to check it out sooner rather than later! Needless to say, I will sleep better tonight! I really hope this helps at least one person beat the big C!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Valued Contributor

Re: Please read, may save a life! Warning: long

Thanks for posting. Melanoma can show up anywhere. My sister's was in her nostril. Hoping for good news for you.

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens- a VERY courageous post! I had read about this under the nail problem- hoping yours turn out to be benign.

THANK YOU!

Honored Contributor

Great post, @Imadickens

It's very true that melanoma can appear anywhere, and that the cause is not just sun exposure, as most people believe.

I worked with melanoma diagnoses daily before I retired, and there were quite a few "where the sun don't shine" both fore and aft, between the toes, among other places you wouldn't think of.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

I have fingernails on my dominant hand that are black--diagnosed as psoriatic arthritis..not a pretty sight..and not able to hold a polish brush to hide it...****** disease...

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Thank you so much for sharing. I passed it on to a friend of mine who had two melanomas removed earlier this year. I just had a biopsy for a possible Basal Cell Carcinoma earlier this month, so this is very timely for me. We all need to know what to look for and you're right, this post could save a life.

Respected Contributor

Thank you so much for posting this. You may have saved a life, or two, or three. I hope, hope, hope that you have good news in two weeks, and will look forward to hearing about the all-clear. And if it's not, we're with you. Never forget that. Heart

Honored Contributor

jewelwisher, what a kind and generous act on your part.  Thank you for caring about others!

Honored Contributor

One more thing to add: As someone who always wears nail polish on my fingers, I try to remember to wear clear polish when I visit my Primary Care Physician because nails can show signs of many diseases. I never thought about doing this for a dermatologist, but will make a note to do the same for my Derm appointments from now on. The friend I passed this on to says her Derm always checks her nails and between her toes.

Honored Contributor

Thank you so much @Imadickens-

I never ouwld have known this and I don't think many others would have either.

I hope yours is benign and so glad your doctor knew what to do.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"