Respected Contributor

What are the sure signs that you're having a panic attack? 

Esteemed Contributor

Someone in my family has been having panic attacks for about 3 years now.  He says his heart races, he can't catch his breath, he get sweaty, sometimes he feels like he is going to throw up.  There is a feeling of not being in control.  It will eventually pass and is not life threatening.  He is now on medication and is doing better.  With time, I think hope he will be able to get off the pills.  There is a lot of information on the internet about it.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Panic Attack

[ Edited ]

fortune,

I know what my "signs" were, but everyone is different and that is why it is so very important to see a Mental Health Professional for an Evaluation and diagnosis.

If I chose, I could speculate with the best of them on this or any other forum. All anyone but a professional can do is "speculate", and that is the bottom line.

My speaking is from my own personal experience of being diagnosed with Clinical Depression and Panic/Anxiety Disorder. I spent 7+ days in a mental ward and I am not ashamed nor do I feel like less of a man or a person to admit it.

To do anything other than read what others type here? You may get lots of responses, but none of them can be thought of as "signs/symptoms" or anything other than someone's opinion along with "pure speculation."

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

fortune,

I know what my "signs" were, but everyone is different and that is why it is so very important to see a Mental Health Professional for an Evaluation and diagnosis.

If I chose, I could speculate with the best of them on this or any other forum. All anyone but a professional can do is "speculate", and that is the bottom line.

My speaking is from my own personal experience of being diagnosed with Clinical Depression and Panic/Anxiety Disorder. I spent 7+ days in a mental ward and I am not ashamed nor do I feel like less of a man or a person to admit it.

To do anything other than read what others type here? You may get lots of responses, but none of them can be thought of as "signs/symptoms" or anything other than someone's opinion along with "pure speculation."

hckynut(john)

Thanks, John.  How is Cindy doing?

Trusted Contributor

@hckynutjohn,       Sincerely wishing you and Cindy some PEACE for a good long time.

@fortune    Like John everyone is different in thier diagnose. My first bit of advice is see your Medical Dr and make sure your physical being has not changed. Tell the Dr what you are feeling.  That being said, what John says re:Mental Health Pro.

My 1st attack was going to pickup the kids at airport from thier honeymoon. DH driving, about 2 turn offs I screamed get off of here NOW. DH" are you nuts?"  I told him I would jump. He got off next ramp and took me home, then onto airport himself. That was 26yrs ago, my FIRST panic attack.  Several years of doctors and 4yrs of therapy am still the same.  In BOTH my HEAD and HEART, I know it is irrational.   I have missed many travel experiences with DH,my Mother, my kids because of this.          DO NOT WAIT FOR PHYSICAL and MENTAL help!!!!!!!   If it is a family member you are speaking of DO NOT TELL THEM TO GROW UP,or any other nonsense,it doesnt help! It only HINDERS.  You need Family and Friend support in this, which I didnt have.

GOOD LUCK

Honored Contributor

As John said, everyone's symptoms are different and a professional evaluation is important. A friend of mine has recently been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. I've known him for over 20 years and as long as I've known him, he's had an issue with shaky hands. It's constant and no medical tests were able to explain why. He can't take a photo without it blurring because of the shakiness and if he's holding a piece of paper in his hand, it's even more obvious. Turns out it's caused by the anxiety disorder. He's 50 now and just learned this in the last 6 months.

I've only had a panic attack once and it was triggered by an event and I haven't ever had another. My experience was similar to what Puppy Lips described.

I have several friends who have them frequently, usually triggered by work or family stress. One says he thinks he feels like he's having a heart attack.

So whether this is for you or a friend, find a good doctor and discuss symptoms and tactics to help cope with stress, prevent, or end panic attacks.

Best wishes!

Respected Contributor

I agree with John.  Seek professional guidance.

It's like the symptoms for a heart attack are different for each individual. 

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

For me it is racing heart, knots in stomach, cant look at food, and very lightheaded, almost like there is no ground below my feet. No actual headache, but a feeling of my head not being clear. It can be very hard to describe.

Respected Contributor

Unfortunately, medical professionals aren't always available when you're having these symptoms!  I thought of calling 911, because I thought my blood pressure might be skyrocketing.  But, I started to feel better.  Just telling myself that I could just dial 911 before dying helped.  I also went online and ordered a blood pressure monitor.

Online I found some suggestions on breathing techniques, as well.  Thank you all for your responses. 

Honored Contributor

@fortune wrote:

Unfortunately, medical professionals aren't always available when you're having these symptoms!  I thought of calling 911, because I thought my blood pressure might be skyrocketing.  But, I started to feel better.  Just telling myself that I could just dial 911 before dying helped.  I also went online and ordered a blood pressure monitor.

Online I found some suggestions on breathing techniques, as well.  Thank you all for your responses. 

In a pinch, breathe into a lunch-sized brown paper bag for 5 minutes. If you start to feel light-headed again, repeat. It's very, very common for those with anxiety/panic attacks to hyperventilate - to the point of light-headed ess and even numbness and tingling of the arms.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all