Esteemed Contributor

I occasionally take Excedrin Extra-Strength for headaches.  It's the only thing that works.

Respected Contributor

@mollybgood wrote:

Which over-the-counter meds do you reach for when pains

are an issue?

For the last few years, I have been using Motrin (IBUPROFEN)

for my mild,  pain issues.  I take a baby aspirin every day, but

I skip that on the few days I take the other pill.

2 Aleeve at a time or 500 milligrams prescribed by my doctor.  Gets rid of my hip pain quickly.  I don't do it all the time because it can hurt the stomach.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Pain relievers

[ Edited ]

I usually start with 3 Advil if it's muscular pain, Tylenol if it's a headache.  If my headache doesn't go away with Tylenol, I take Advil for the next dose.

My doctor said I can take up to 4 Advil at one time if I'm in accute pain and then follow up with 2 at a time thereafter.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

I know you didn't ask for natural pain relievers, but here's to offer what I know: turmeric and Noni. (not necessarily together)

Pain is not a constant with me; I take turmeric (and use it on certain foods) for its antioxy properties.

But when I feel a migraine coming on, I have to grab the liquid gel Advils. 

Honored Contributor

NSAID - Advil - Motrin - Ibuprofin all can and frequently do cause organ failure. I can't tell you how many patients I have done dialysis on that had failed kidneys due to long term use of this drug. It can also cause stomach bleeding, and frequently does. 

Over the counter pain med are for occasional use only, not daily pain relief from things like arthritis.You should discuss your need for daily pain meds with your doctor. 

BTW - Tylenol used cronically - esp. in high doses causes liver failure.Personally, I take 1 tylenol timed release a day for my arthritis & my doctor knows about it and monitors my liver with blood work.It is a very bad idea to take those extra strength tylenol products sold in the drug store OTC. 

Honored Contributor

I'm never taking asprin again. I was taking it for my arthritis and it gave me an ulcer. Watch out for this ,it's really bad

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sodium naproxen when I have an occasional headache. Turmeric everyday for many reasons including pain management.

Years ago I used to reach for Russian bottled water.Woman WinkWoman LOL

Honored Contributor

Three extra strength Excedrin and a BC powder two hours later if no help.  By an hour or so after that I know whether to get one of my migraine meds (prescription). I try to use oc products first but it has to be an aspirin based pain reliever.  Tylenol and ibuprofen products are like just drinking a sip of water for me.  I still remember at the age of five my first headache and Mom having to put me to bed it was so bad. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to take Excedrin many years ago, but the caffeine is a problem, now.

I want to look into the turmeric that has been mentioned here a few times.

♥chocolate lover ♦ audiobook junkie♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mollybgood wrote:

Which over-the-counter meds do you reach for when pains

are an issue?

For the last few years, I have been using Motrin (IBUPROFEN) for my mild,  pain issues.  I take a baby aspirin every day, but I skip that on the few days I take the other pill.

@mollybgood

Be careful with ibuprofen, especially long term.  I was using it for several years and never realized it was giving me high blood pressure.  My doctors knew I was taking four pills a day for RA pain.  So they put my on HBP meds, which gave me side effects, a nasty cough, and other gastrointestinal issues.  Obviously they never thought to take me off the ibuprofen.

One day I researched all of my meds and read on the Mayo Clinic site that ibuprofen caused HBP.  I went off it immediately, as well as the HBP med.  Within one week my BP returned to normal, actually lower than normal and has stayed at about 117/68 ever since.  When I told the doctors, they just shrugged it off.  And now HBP is on my records and I can't get it off unless I go to court!!  Imagine that!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986